Players in public

Guest hindu times

a weeks wages in a bookies.  :gm's patter:

He's a regular in there. Sunday night's seem to be a favorite time and she has to keep the shop open until nearly 10pm, so he (and others) can come in and play the bandits - despite their being no racing, etc on. :thdn:

That's standard William Hill procedure now mate. All the shops in London are open 8.30am to 10pm. Most are deserted after 7pm in the winter. It's all about machines now. They make up over 80% of William Hills in-shop profit. If idiots like Ranger are going in and spunking wads of foldy stuff then there is no way it'll close early. Guy in my wifes shop last week blew £7000 between 10am and 7.30pm. It's just completely wrong.

Complete thread tangent here, should probably go in GC somewhere (feel free to move this admins), but what do people think about the betting shops these days? I used to be a shop manager for Hills, when I started there it was 10.15 till 6pm in the winter, 10.15 till 9.30 in the summer but only if there was uk racing on, otherwise you'd close half hour after the last race. Now it's till 10pm all year round and it's been confirmed that Betfred are opening up some shops in select locations till Midnight. They have also been granted a 4 hour Christmas Day licence, using the same rules that allow a pub to open up for Christmas dinner etc.

The whole idea of the Gambling Commission, aside from allowing Bookies to advertise and make it easier to open shops, was to regulate the betting industry in a more sophisticated way and to increase their social responsibility. There's fuck all responsible about giving people even more time in the shop to lose their money.

What's worse is that Gambling is a recession proof industry. None of the big bookies are struggling, in fact they are raking the profits in as desperate people use the last of their dole money trying to turn £50 in to £1000 on a roulette machine.