Sir Alex Ferguson

Guest kingdawson

He signed Anderson, McClair and Bruce early like. Pretty sure Mark Hughes was resigned in 87 from Barca as well. They all turned out to be extremely good signings and they were made early on in Fergies career with us.

The youngsters we brought through in the early 90's were quite incredible really and deserved mention in that post as well, but yeah. That's a pretty close to mark post.

The media's (lack of) reaction to the old fuck's behavior is nothing short of scandalous! Any other manager would've been crucified for not showing respect to the officials. But not SIR ALEX.. nooo.. he can come on the field, have a two-minute tirade to the ref, postpone kickoff, then spent the entire half mouthing off the assistant.. and it's all perfectly okay - Like fuck does he deserve respect, fuck his titles and fuck the moronic pundits. Froggy can fuck off too

He signed Anderson, McClair and Bruce early like. Pretty sure Mark Hughes was resigned in 87 from Barca as well. They all turned out to be extremely good signings and they were made early on in Fergies career with us.

The youngsters we brought through in the early 90's were quite incredible really and deserved mention in that post as well, but yeah. That's a pretty close to mark post.

Viv Anderson was shite mate. He'd been a good player but hadn't in reality been a good player for 3 or 4 seasons. McClair was a different animal, very under rated and never ever gave less than 100%.

Viv Anderson was shite mate. He'd been a good player but hadn't in reality been a good player for 3 or 4 seasons. McClair was a different animal, very under rated and never ever gave less than 100%.

Never seen Anderson play live to be honest with you so I won't argue at all there. Always thought he was seen as a good player for us and England so included him in the category of good signings.

Loved McClair like. Been head of our youth academy for a while now as well. I like to see players held in high regard stick around with coaching roles for clubs.

Hughes was there as early as 84- before Fergie

He was resigned by Fergie from Barca.

aye- think it was later than 87- I always thought it was the season of the cup winners cup was his first season back.

The media's (lack of) reaction to the old fuck's behavior is nothing short of scandalous! Any other manager would've been crucified for not showing respect to the officials. But not SIR ALEX.. nooo.. he can come on the field, have a two-minute tirade to the ref, postpone kickoff, then spent the entire half mouthing off the assistant.. and it's all perfectly okay - Like fuck does he deserve respect, fuck his titles and fuck the moronic pundits. Froggy can fuck off too

Acting like a brat, berating officials, being a sore loser, ignoring the rules of the game = "Passion"

Talking rubbish, losing his rag, making bullshit excuses = "Mind games"

No other manager gets this type of pass.

Re Mark Hughes, did he go to Bayern Munich after Barcelona ?

I thought he came straight back. When they played Barca in the cup winners final- they were shit scared of him, they knew him well at the time. 

I just remembered another expensive transfer error. Danny Wallace.

Probably the most well-known transfer error from his opening few years at the club. Not sure if it was a record fee too. Was over a million anyway.

Re Mark Hughes, did he go to Bayern Munich after Barcelona ?

I thought he came straight back. When they played Barca in the cup winners final- they were shit scared of him, they knew him well at the time. 

Loan while at Barca.

Guest firetotheworks

I understand his way of winning, but I can't respect something when I don't think it's fair. There's being ruthless and then there's breaking the rules and benefiting from ridiculous decisions over and over again.

Only last month Lambert was fined and banned for one match for "Language and/or behaviour amounting to improper conduct".  Makes a mockery of it if Fergie gets away with worse.

Same kind of thing with Wolves being fined for feilding an understrength team when Arsenal are allowed to do it every single game of every Carling Cup campaign.

Only last month Lambert was fined and banned for one match for "Language and/or behaviour amounting to improper conduct".  Makes a mockery of it if Fergie gets away with worse.

Same kind of thing with Wolves being fined for feilding an understrength team when Arsenal are allowed to do it every single game of every Carling Cup campaign.

:thup: that decision was nuts, as you say teams do it every year.

But whilst Ferguson, quite obviously is one of the best managers this country has seen. People forget the Ferguson that spent , spent, spent in his first four years achieving nothing but mockery from fans up and down the country.

I believe Ferguson won the title the first time with nine million-pound players. The next most at a single club was five. I heard something along the lines that the average cost of a Man Utd first-teamer was higher than third-placed Norwich's record signing.

He's kept the passion going and rebuilt several sides, so you have to respect him for that. As a domestic manager his record is unparalleled. Given he's at such a rich club, his CL record conversely is nothing special.

This will probably sound like sour grapes but I think he also got a massive slice of good fortune with that youth team producing so many brilliant/world class players all at the same time.

For Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Neville x 2, Butt to all come through the ranks at the same time is unbelievable and I don't believe that it was just down to Fergusons management. He was fortunate to get a bunch of brilliant professionals all at the same time - they had the perfect mentality to match their ability. This happened just at the moment they were starting to win the title again - hence they have no need to look for moves elsewhere.

It clicked at the absolute optimum time in Man Utd's history and Ferguson's career there.

As I said, I don't want to sound bitter and detract from how he developed and managed these players from their youth, but if fortune had not put them in the same youth side, who knows how the last 15 years might have panned out.