Sam: I'm close to first signing

Guest smoggeordie

Guest Toon83

Its Ben Haim and (or) Viduka

But dont expect anything concrete until the board have met with Mike Ashley this week, maybe thursday or friday we could hear something.

Excellent start to transfer business if it is one of or both of Ben Haim and or Viduka though, two proven top class players, and both free  :clap: :clap:

I'd be very happy with those two for a start.

Its a very good start to the summer.

I wasn't convinced with Viduka, but under new management i have a hope he'd perform to the best of his abilities.

Ben Haim is a no brainer, we need talented defenders and lots of them, for free he's the summer bargain at the back.

Guest SwissMagpie

who said its Viduka or Ben Haim(altough i will be very happy with the too) maybe its Baines? or somebody out of the blue

Bobby Robson who never said anything whilst conducting transfers. He just kept it quiet until it was all done and then said 'here, I've signed this bloke'.

"So can everyone please welcome Carl Cort to Newcastle United"

Guest Stephen927

Would be a very promising start to Allardyce's reign as Newcastle manager if we sign Ben Haim. Realistically you're looking to pay something like £6-7m for a guy like Ben Haim, so on a free it would be a fantastic signing.

If Viduka can keep on top of his fitness, he'll be a good signing to provide something different up front. He knows where the net is and he's capable of a bit of magic that can change a game.

Guest Knightrider

I've seen a lot of Haim and having originally thought he was nowt special, he has improved a hell of a lot and today he's a good player who can play in the centre or at left-back and while he has a reputation for being a no nonsense type defender, he can play a bit too. He's also very strong and I remember him having a good tussle with Rooney once or twice that stood out. He seems to have cut out his theatrics too which is a plus point as his would rival any of Taylor's. I'd be delighted with this transfer as he's a massive improvement on Bramble in every sense. He won't be the saviour of our defence mind, that will only sort itself out on the training pitch but in Haim Big Sam will have someone he knows and who knows his own methods, to lead the way. Furthermore his character is spot on, despite being unhappy at not getting a move to Chelsea as well as playing at LB at times, he still put in the performances and never whinged about things. If he does arrive this well get the rebuilding job off to a great start. Viduka would be most welcome too.

Haim  :lol:

Ben isn't his first name like, it's part of his surname. In case anyone's thinking of getting it on their shirt.

Ben is jewish/arabic for "son", on of the few words they have in common

So basically his name is "the son of haim"

Don't care what he's called, he's light-years ahead of Bramble! Ditto for Viduka and Sibierski.

Improving the squad without spending a penny...exactly the reason why Allardyce was brought in.  :thup:

Guest LUKASJJ

Woo Hoo I hope its Ben Haim this week, Viduka next week, then Tevez etc the next week LOL!!! I have a good feeling about this summer!!!

Taylor with a quality partner would probably be fairly decent for us, I'd say.

If we have got Ben Haim, I'd be more interested to see who the other centre-half (or two?) we sign will be, because that'd leave one spot open in the defence and obviously people seem to be expecting Stevie to be first-choice. I dare say he expects it now, too. Probably wouldn't do him too much harm not being an automatic starter mind, it might even benefit him. Especially if the other defender brought in had some impressive pedigree for him to learn from.

Doubt he'd accept it, like.

Guest SwissMagpie

I think that Ben Haim will be a roatation player and we will sign a defender that will be better than him and Tayls.

Guest Alan_Shearer

Thing is if we get Viduka? Hows he ever gonna get a game with Owen and Martins up front??? If Owen leaves we will get Defoe or someone else of that quality...wouldn't work with a 4-3-3 either...he'd be bench every game which i dont think he'd want in his final days when he could be starting every game for someone else...

Thing is if we get Viduka? Hows he ever gonna get a game with Owen and Martins up front??? If Owen leaves we will get Defoe or someone else of that quality...wouldn't work with a 4-3-3 either...he'd be bench every game which i dont think he'd want in his final days when he could be starting every game for someone else...

Viduka is a much better player than Martins, and a more suitable partner for Owen too...