Chelsea sign Ben Haim on 4 year deal - SSN

Dave

Some great things in this article. :)

Link

Allardyce eyes Israeli stopper

Jun 7 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Sam Allardyce has confirmed he is keen to sign centre-back Tal Ben Haim as Newcastle United's manager reflected on a successful flurry of transfer activity at St James's Park.

Allardyce has moved rapidly since his return from a family holiday to complete a £5.5m swoop for midfielder Joey Barton, while simultaneously working to tie up a deal for Middlesbrough's out-of-contract striker Mark Viduka.

Viduka is expected to be confirmed as a United player when he has a medical next week, but Allardyce has already turned his attention to his next recruit, with Ben Haim likely to be his third signing as Newcastle manager. The Israel international was a big success under Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers and, like Viduka, is available on a Bosman-style free transfer.

"Yes I'm interested in Tal Ben Haim, he's a free agent and hopefully available," said Allardyce, who did not rule out the possibility that he will also look to sign centre-forward Nicolas Anelka from his former club before the start of next season.

"He has got three or four years of experience in the Premiership and I know him inside out. We had a good working relationship, we grew in the Premiership together and I'm very interested in working with him again."

Allardyce has held talks with new Newcastle owner Mike Ashley this week and was pleased with the ambition of the millionaire businessman to invest in the club's infrastructure, as well as the first-team squad.

United's manager refused to give any indication of the size of the transfer budget that has been offered to him, but it is thought to be large enough to rival any other in the Premiership this summer.

"I've met the new owner and we've talked about things," said Allardyce, who admitted he had been stunned by the number of players he has been linked with since taking over at St James's Park last month. "He wants to invest money for the good of the club and that can only be a good thing for me as a manager.

"Details of how much he has given me to spend are obviously private, but I've been working with Bruce Shepherd and Russell Cushing, who have stepped in because Freddie (Shepherd) isn't well and things are progressing well.

"We are moving quickly in that area. We have established what I need to change around here and we are looking at the ways to do that. There are things already in motion, using the scouting information here at Newcastle and my own research over the last six or seven years.

"If I feel a player will be an asset and we can afford him, we will try to get him."

However, while Allardyce is constantly looking forward as he begins the difficult process of reshaping the club, he can still reflect on a highly impressive start to his reign following a successful pursuit of his first two transfer targets.

He added: "We have to take it one player at a time. I've had a very successful first week at my desk. I've come back from holiday and I've signed two quality players in Joey Barton and Mark Viduka.

"Mark is almost in the bag. It's been difficult because he has been on holiday, but we're nearly there. We hope to sort out a medical for next week and then that will be done.

"To get Mark and Joey in one week is not bad going and I'm delighted, particularly with how crazy the transfer market can be. But they are not the only things we've been working on."

Reports in France suggest that one of those other projects is a £3.3m offer for Paris-Saint Germain defender David Rozehnal, with the player's agent claiming yesterday Newcastle have made contact ahead of a bid for the 26-year-old Czech international.

Meanwhile, Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate is facing a major challenge as he attempts to revamp his strikeforce for the new season.

With Viduka on his way out of the Riverside Stadium, Malcolm Christie and Danny Graham already released and speculation continuing over the future of £7.5m Nigeria international Ayegbeni Yakubu, the pressure is firmly on Boro boss Southgate.

The 36-year-old pulled off a major coup when he persuaded Jonathan Woodgate to make his loan signing from Real Madrid a permanent deal, investing £7m in the process. However, with Viduka having supplied 19 of his side's goals last season, there is little doubt where the focus now lies.

Southgate is a long-term admirer of Arsenal's Jeremie Aliadiere, and it is understood the two clubs have agreed a fee for the Frenchman.

The Teessiders' manager has also been monitoring West Brom frontman Diomansy Kamara's situation following his side's Coca-Cola Championship play-off final disappointment.

Guest Knightrider

If the manager is name dropping like this that to me suggests all three will sign, Barton, Viduka and Haim. We know the other two are almost done but Haim has only been linked, now the manager has confirmed his interest = we'll be getting him, in my opinion anyway.

Guest Guinness

If the manager is name dropping like this that to me suggests all three will sign, Barton, Viduka and Haim. We know the other two are almost done but Haim has only been linked, now the manager has confirmed his interest = we'll be getting him, in my opinion anyway.

Hopefully you're right, Ben Haim is a class player. It would be an excellent bit of business to get him in on a free transfer.

Absolute brilliant news... Big Sam is certainly on top of things, which I never doubted. With the influx of £'s from Ashley and his support it's going to be a very promising year for Newcastle United!

Ben Haim interest, with all the rumours it was no surprise and i'm over the moon!

Viduka and Barton are brilliant signings and I am expecting at least another 5 or 6 huge ones to come - Anelka maybe? I'm not sure about getting good ol' St Nic  :shifty:, but with the uncertainty surrounding Owen and Martins better be safe than sorry! Although, my personal opinion is we are going to keep both for at least another season...

Would be another ace, ace, ace signing. I'm with HTT - if he's already talking about Ben Haim, then i don't think Sam would be daft enough to talk about players who aren't already halfway 'in the bag'.

Can't see him signing Anelka, not only because Sam knows me personally and knows how much i am against the idea, but i just can't see Owen/Martins leaving.

Allardyce has been talkign up Owen today and saying that he hopes he stays. In my opinion I think Martins is already gone to be honest, because if Owen is being persuaded to stay and anelka is on the backburner then Martins must be out.

I feel this is the case because I am pretty confident Sam will want to pair Owen with a target man in Viduka, and if Owen leaves he will most likely want to pair Anelka with Viduka. Therefore I cannot see a £10 million Martins being kept on the bench, which will only decrease his value, when we can potentially sell him this summer for a small profit due to his success last season.

We will most likely then bring in a cheaper up and coming striker who can offer pace when Owen is out (or when Anelka is out should Owen leave).

Allardyce has been talkign up Owen today and saying that he hopes he stays. In my opinion I think Martins is already gone to be honest, because if Owen is being persuaded to stay and anelka is on the backburner then Martins must be out.

I feel this is the case because I am pretty confident Sam will want to pair Owen with a target man in Viduka, and if Owen leaves he will most likely want to pair Anelka with Viduka. Therefore I cannot see a £10 million Martins being kept on the bench, which will only decrease his value, when we can potentially sell him this summer for a small profit due to his success last season.

We will most likely then bring in a cheaper up and coming striker who can offer pace when Owen is out (or when Anelka is out should Owen leave).

He said he didn't rule it out, big difference between that and actually making steps to signing Anelka.

Yeah. We've made some great steps forward these last few days, but selling one of Martins or Owen would be a step back. We don't need to sell either of them and it'd be a great shame if we did. When they're such class players, these are the ones that deserve to be given a chance. When Allardyce said that everying has a clean slate, he's talking about the likes of these players. The likes of Bramble and Co didn't deserve one - it's these guys.