Newcastle 2 - 0 Juventus (friendly) - Post match thoughts from page 23

Dave

As it says in that Smith article, it's funny. If we'd been thrashed by Celtic and Juve it'd probably have been much easier to convince the board to spend. :lol: :(

I was thinking that, I'm still glad we won those game but defeat might have been better in the long term, having said that I'm sure the players who did play will have been lifted by the win so it goes both ways.

Ranieri's been on the slide since he left Chelsea. He'll flop with Juventus just like he did at Valencia.

Seem to remember he was a semi-popular choice for potential Toon boss.

Not that that proves anything, but so do I, which is why I'm glad we never got him.

Ranieri's been on the slide since he left Chelsea.  He'll flop with Juventus just like he did at Valencia.

Seem to remember he was a semi-popular choice for potential Toon boss.

Not that that proves anything, but so do I, which is why I'm glad we never got him.

:lol:

http://www.juventus.com/fe_images/fotogallery/070729-newjuv/zoom/11.jpg

What the f*ck is Pattison doing? :lol:

:lol:

I'm just shocked he's on the field in the first place tbh, fair play to him.

I have been away on trainingcamp from Wednesday to Sunday evening, haven't been able to get any news rally. But i read last night about the last two friendlies, i wasn't that optimistic about those two games so im really happy with these two wins. And Luque seems to be up to it now also, that can only be good.

Hopefully we can get a few new players before the Bolton game.

cheers

Guest Gemmill

Did anyone else notice btw, that at the start of the game, Nedved turns up with one of those little silk flag things with the Juventus crest on to give to the opposing captain.  What did Given have to give him?  Fuck all. :lol:  I bet he turns up for dinner at your house and doesn't bring a bottle of wine an'all. 

Guest Invicta_Toon

The new Jamie McClen.

Signed for Bedlington now hasn't he? :lol:

Aye, saw him a couple of weeks ago.  :-[

wiki has him at Hamilton Academicals?

shedloads of Juve reaction up on www.juventus.com

Ranieri reckons they dominated the match and would have won had it not been for Given. Maybe he was watching a different match to me because I only remember a few saves.

Quality pre-match write up:

http://www.juventus.com/uk/news/detail.aspx?lml_language_id=0&trs_id=1607000&ID=11831

It's time for Juventus to play again. At 3 pm U.K. time (4 pm in Italy), Ranieri's team play the first of the three friendlies scheduled in their tour of England and Germany. The match against Newcastle United will take place at St. James’ Park, the locals’ home ground.

Definitely a valuable test, this, against a team in better shape that can boast various top-level players. First of all, Michael Owen, one of the major talents in English football, who won the prestigious Golden Ball award in 2001; but also some who have played in Italy, at Inter Milan, such as Martins and Emre, and many other talented footballers, like Duff, Babayaro, Geremi, Butt, and Luque, who are well-known all across Europe.

It's a first class line-up. The team, managed by Glenn Roeder, will compete for the top positions in the next Premier League, trying to improve on the 7th place they achieved last season. In their history, Newcastle United have won the English league title 4 times (the last time in 1927), the F.A. Cup 6 times and, in Europe, the Fairs Cup once (in 1969) and, more recently, in 2006, the Intertoto Cup.

Overall, today's game will be the fifth between Juventus and Newcastle, and the third friendly. The first one took place exactly 10 years ago: on the 3rd of August 1997, Juventus, managed by Marcello Lippi at the time, and wearing a pink shirt to celebrate the club's 100th year, met the English team in Cesena and won 3-2 with a Ciro Ferrara goal and two by Inzaghi. One year later, in England, Newcastle were the victors by 2 goals to 1 (Juventus' goal was scored by Blanchard).

The two official matches both took place during the 2002/03 season. Juventus met the Magpies in the first round, on their way to the Champions League final in Manchester. Again the teams playing at home prevailed: Juventus won 2-0 at the Delle Alpi, with two goals by Del Piero, while Newcastle achieved a 1-0 victory at St. James Park, Griffin scoring the only goal.

As he played for Newcastle before joining Juventus in August last year, Frenchman Jean Alain Boumsong is in the best position to preview the match. The defender had this to say on the eve of the game: “English football is quite fascinating; it's more physical and less tactical than Italian football. The fans are really very warm, they sing and cheer on their team for the whole match. I remember my experience there fondly. I had no problem fitting in because I'd been playing in Glasgow. The first year in particular went very well. It was an important period for me: it helped me grow as a player and allowed me to arrive at Juventus”.

Guest LucaAltieri

shedloads of Juve reaction up on www.juventus.com

Ranieri reckons they dominated the match and would have won had it not been for Given. Maybe he was watching a different match to me because I only remember a few saves.

Saw the "highlights" on Rai (the Italian BBC) News last night... they showed the 2 Newcastle goals then just about every Juve half-chance. Made it seem we were outplayed most of the match.

And for some reason the Italian radio station I was listening reported the full-time score as 2-1.

I hate the Italian media. Makes our lot seem good.

The hit the target three times in the whole match. Only twice did Given have a real save to make. Nedved was good and Iaquinta looked dangerous but apart from that they were very average.

Guest Matt10

The new Jamie McClen.

He's recently left Bedlington and gone to Northwich apparently.

The new Jamie McClen.

He's recently left Bedlington and gone to Northwich apparently.

Already???  :lol:

Don't know if he was just trialing for Bedlington the night I saw him. Maybe he didn't impress 'em enough.  :lol: