José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Enrique as captain :lol: What a terrible decision that would be.

If he could speak English maybe...

I just don't get this general opinion that you should make your best players the captain - what if he's a terrible communicator/leader?

http://www.jarrowandhebburngazette.com/latest-sport/Why-Enrique39s-working-overtime-at.6550458.jp

JOSE Enrique has lifted the lid on his punishing fitness regime at Newcastle United.

Enrique, as the club's only senior left-back, feels a heavy responsibility on his shoulders to stay fit and steer clear of injury.

Aside from Enrique, Manager Chris Hughton only has teenager Shane Ferguson – who played at Chelsea in midweek – to back up Enrique, though James Perch and Ryan Taylor can also deputise.

Follow Gazette Newcastle United writer Miles Starforth on Twitter here

And the 24-year-old flies a personal trainer over from Spain on a weekly basis to ensure he doesn't suffer a recurrance of his previous hamstring problems, as well as working overtime with the club's physios.

Enrique missed a sizeable chunk of last season through injury – forcing Hughton to loan Patrick van Aanholt, who, ironically, opened the scoring for Chelsea against Newcastle.

And the former Spain international is determined to do everything he can to avoid another spell on the sidelines after working so hard to help the club back into the Premier League.

"It's more pressure for me, because I worry for the club if I get an injury," Enrique told the Gazette.

"I know Perch and Ryan Taylor can play there, but they are not left-backs. It's hard.

"I do everything with the physios – I have my personal trainer who comes from Spain every week.

"I work a lot on my hamstring, which was my big problem. It's OK now – as yet, I haven't had a problem this season."

Enrique is now in his fourth season at St James's Park, having been signed by Sam Allardyce in 2007 from Villarreal.

However, he will face tougher competition in years to come, with Ferguson having been outstanding at Stamford Bridge in what was only his second start for the club.

Ferguson, 19, has already turned out for the senior Northern Ireland side.

:thup:

Guest elbee909

Enrique is probably the only thing for which I can think to thank Allardyce.

Beye and Faye were both very good for us too. Also he got £8m for Dyer.

We still have Enrique though, so he pips all that, though you're right about Dyer.  Was it really 8 million?  Hilarity.

Guest firetotheworks

Allardyce's signings were mostly good imo. Some turned out to be shit, but others were either worth it, or just didnt work out. Personally I think Smith was the only signing that at no point looked like a good one. Cacapa was just too old, but I believe he would have been class if he hadn't snapped his hamstrings, and Geremi could still hoy in a decent ball. The rest were all decent.

IF we had another quality LB I would love to see Jose play on the left wing, he can cross a ball, has pace and strength to beat players and would work hard to help put the fullback.

Then Jonas could play right wing and HBA in the middle

You should be banned for peddling such rubbish at times. :lol:

IF we had another quality LB I would love to see Jose play on the left wing, he can cross a ball, has pace and strength to beat players and would work hard to help put the fullback.

Then Jonas could play right wing and HBA in the middle

You should be banned for peddling such rubbish at times. :lol:

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Allardyce's signings were mostly good imo. Some turned out to be s***, but others were either worth it, or just didnt work out. Personally I think Smith was the only signing that at no point looked like a good one. Cacapa was just too old, but I believe he would have been class if he hadn't snapped his hamstrings, and Geremi could still hoy in a decent ball. The rest were all decent.

You are going into some controversial territory there but yes what Sam bought in was not all bad. There were some problems though - the club could not afford the sort of wages his recruits were on, he could not make them play once his plan A had gone - and Geremi and Smith weren't replacements for Solano and Dyer.

Allardyce's signings were mostly good imo. Some turned out to be s***, but others were either worth it, or just didnt work out. Personally I think Smith was the only signing that at no point looked like a good one. Cacapa was just too old, but I believe he would have been class if he hadn't snapped his hamstrings, and Geremi could still hoy in a decent ball. The rest were all decent.

You are going into some controversial territory there but yes what Sam bought in was not all bad. There were some problems though - the club could not afford the sort of wages his recruits were on, he could not make them play once his plan A had gone - and Geremi and Smith weren't replacements for Solano and Dyer.

That was the killer where Allardyce's signings were concerned.

The only player I would even consider getting on the back of my kit.

Him or Nolan for me.

For real? The bloke bought me a drink once but i still wouldnt want my shirt associated with the old scouser.