José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Did anyone really expect that we'd buy nobody this summer though? Some signings were a given, especially with the club selling Nolan and making it clear Barton wasn't really wanted anymore.

I'm hopeful the new players will do well, but the odds of any of them being top class difference makers that transform us into a Top 6 team are slim to be honest.

If it is a case that Jose is waiting to see our ambition then he's right to wait a while more IMO, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's already decided he's leaving.

How many people expected us to get three very good players in by mid June though?

So what, teams should only sign bosman transfers then?

I do think we've gotten better so far this summer, but if you're honestly happy with this as the bulk of our summer activity then I don't know what to tell you. It's a good start, but in terms of showing ambition to challenge for Europe then it's not enough yet, especially given what happened in January.

No my point is this is an excellent start and much more than anyone would have expected by this stage of the window.  There's no reason to think this is the bulk of our summer activity either.  IMO what we've done so far bodes very well for the rest of the window.

I don't actually disagree with anything you've said here, and I'm very encouraged by what we've done so far.

However, my original point was that expecting Enrique to sign a new deal on the back of these 3 signings was premature, as we haven't proven yet that we sold Carroll to improve the team rather than the bank balance. If we reinvest that money then there'll be a case, but until then he's right to wait and see (if that is the issue for him, which I have my doubts about tbh.)

Guest Roger Kint

http://www.anfieldindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/LeftBack_Defend.png

http://www.anfieldindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/LeftBack_Attack.png

:snod:

Bloody hell its Giggs' great grandfather now...... ;D

Reds Give Up on Jose Enrique: Wayne Bridge Targeted Instead....?!

Bleacher Report - Karl Matchett - ‎2 minutes ago‎

Well, perhaps not the most reliable of sources, but footybunker are claiming that Liverpool have given up hope of signing Newcastle United left back Jose Enrique and are instead focussing their efforts on Manchester City's unwanted former England ...

What's the odds on him leaving deadline day conveniently giving us no time to buy an outright replacement leaving us with the Swansea lad until January.

Cynical, but fair.  I know there is still ages left in the window, but because we got 3 players in so quickly, I've now become massively paranoid that we're not going to spend much on new players, and we'll still lose 2 or 3 more.

Things will surely start happening in earnest with players still under contract from next week when they start returning for pre-season and finding out their manager's/club's plans.