José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

The problem we've got is that if he hasn't signed come the end of August and we receive anything over £4 million we will accept it IMO, which is why it's best that he goes as soon as possible if he's not going to sign a new deal.

Liverpool signing a new left back might be the kick up the arse he needs to sign a new deal here.

I'd feel better if I heard this all from Enrique. So we know the truth.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's not yet made his mind up on exactly what to do.

As much as I love the bloke, If I were the club I'd be forcing his hand right now. We need a quality replacement if he is to be sold, and ideally I'd want him in before the Arsenal game at the latest.

If Jose wants to make this as painless as possible for the fans, I suggest he acts in the next couple of weeks, because if he leaves us in the last few days of the window it's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Leaving for free next summer will also nark my cock clean off, given that we're trying to generate our own transfer fees these days, and his sale could get another top player in.

I'd feel better if I heard this all from Enrique. So we know the truth.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's not yet made his mind up on exactly what to do.

As much as I love the bloke, If I were the club I'd be forcing his hand right now. We need a quality replacement if he is to be sold, and ideally I'd want him in before the Arsenal game at the latest.

If Jose wants to make this as painless as possible for the fans, I suggest he acts in the next couple of weeks, because if he leaves us in the last few days of the window it's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth. Leaving for free next summer will also nark my cock clean off, given that we're trying to generate our own transfer fee's these days, and his sale could get another top player in.

:lol:

When the clubs scouting team seemingly has a remit to spend most of its time hunting for freebies, clause breakers and damaged goods with big upside potential it can't exactly complain when one of it's own decides to run their contract down.

I expect him to be forced out for a couple of million.

When the clubs scouting team seemingly has a remit to spend most of its time hunting for freebies, clause breakers and damaged goods with big upside potential it can't exactly complain when one of it's own decides to run their contract down.

Pull the other one.

If he's decided 100% that he wants to run down his contract and leave for nothing then telling us that won't be a great help no, though it'd still be for the best for us IMO

If however he simply wants to leave 100% (wether from a move this window or for free in a year) then it would be a big benefit to the club to know that.  They'd then know that they need to sell him for the best price they can get ASAP and get a replacement in.  But they aren't going to do that while they think there's a chance he'll stay.

Do you honestly think he hasn't told the club this, and is just trying for some reason (I'm not sure why) to string them along by saying well I might sign one, talk to me later? It's blatantly obvious that he wont sign a new contract and has been for a while. I personally expect that he has explicitly told the club this, but even if he hasn't it's quite implicit from his refusal to even negotiate about it. As Tron says, what possible advantage would it be to the club or the player to come out in the press and say so explicitly though.

Everything points to him wanting to move for his career, not for money, and if so it would be in his interest to move this season rather than next, however he is quite honourably if you ask me allowing the club to decide whether to let him play out his contract or sell him to a club with bigger aspirations where he has more chance of being picked for his country. He's not agitating for a move, he's not got his agent making trouble in the press to lower his price and attract interest, he's just quietly letting things play out.

Pull the other one.

Eh?

If he's decided 100% that he wants to run down his contract and leave for nothing then telling us that won't be a great help no, though it'd still be for the best for us IMO

If however he simply wants to leave 100% (wether from a move this window or for free in a year) then it would be a big benefit to the club to know that.  They'd then know that they need to sell him for the best price they can get ASAP and get a replacement in.  But they aren't going to do that while they think there's a chance he'll stay.

Do you honestly think he hasn't told the club this, and is just trying for some reason (I'm not sure why) to string them along by saying well I might sign one, talk to me later? It's blatantly obvious that he wont sign a new contract and has been for a while. I personally expect that he has explicitly told the club this, but even if he hasn't it's quite implicit from his refusal to even negotiate about it. As Tron says, what possible advantage would it be to the club or the player to come out in the press and say so explicitly though.

Everything points to him wanting to move for his career, not for money, and if so it would be in his interest to move this season rather than next, however he is quite honourably if you ask me allowing the club to decide whether to let him play out his contract or sell him to a club with bigger aspirations where he has more chance of being picked for his country. He's not agitating for a move, he's not got his agent making trouble in the press to lower his price and attract interest, he's just quietly letting things play out.

Spot on.

If however he simply wants to leave 100% (wether from a move this window or for free in a year) then it would be a big benefit to the club to know that.  They'd then know that they need to sell him for the best price they can get ASAP and get a replacement in.  But they aren't going to do that while they think there's a chance he'll stay.

It's about Enrique explicitly telling the club what he wants, as you mentioned. I have on the other hand have doubts that he's done so. Sadly there's an increasing trend among players (well guided by agents) to see their contract out in order to cash in on signing fees.. That's a big predicament because the clubs have put time and money in developing them. But when players leave for free  clubs is left with  no money to reinvest in facilities, new players etc.  Hopefully we'll see a development soon. If not I'm afraid Enrique tries too see his contract out. The only thing that is worse than him leaving, is him leaving for free. I want a solid replacement, which will be difficult if we don't get any cash for him.

Guest palnese

If enrique wants to rot away place him in the reserves and let him stay there

Yeah, that'll happen.

He'll either stay and leave on a free next summer or he'll be sold this summer.

If enrique wants to rot away place him in the reserves and let him stay there

Yeah, that'll happen.

He'll either stay and leave on a free next summer or he'll be sold this summer.

so stays we do reasonably well and signs new deal

Well Enrique might prefer to leave and go to Liverpool or Arsenal, but if they don't want to buy him there is not too much he can do about it. He'll probably end up staying and play out the last year of his contract and leave on a free (like Barton). Or get sold the last day of the transfer window, when we are desperate to get some kind of fee for him, resulting in us getting a couple of million and having no left back.

Well Enrique might prefer to leave and go to Liverpool or Arsenal, but if they don't want to buy him there is not too much he can do about it. He'll probably end up staying and play out the last year of his contract and leave on a free (like Barton). Or get sold the last day of the transfer window, when we are desperate to get some kind of fee for him, resulting in us getting a couple of million and having no left back.

Don't think it will come to that. I think it will be competition for his signature. So we'll get some money for him. And we'll use that money to sign Mbenge, who we presumably already have established a connection with.

If however he simply wants to leave 100% (wether from a move this window or for free in a year) then it would be a big benefit to the club to know that.  They'd then know that they need to sell him for the best price they can get ASAP and get a replacement in.  But they aren't going to do that while they think there's a chance he'll stay.

Do I honestly think he hasn't told the club that? Yes, what reason is there to assume otherwise?  Refusing to talk and stalling on a contract isn't the same as making his intentions clear, its aimed at doing exactly the opposite, honourable isn't the word for it.

Also, you don't see a reason why he'd want to string people along rather then coming out and saying what his intentions are?, really?

Guest Robin

Surely the reason he has not asked for a transfer is because he wants his loyalty bonus and the club do not want to put him on the transfer list because they do not want to pay it, which they would have to if he does not ask for a move.

Can't see why he has become such a cunt all of a sudden. To be honest we should be going out and buying someone to replace him. We need competition in that area anyway so if he does end up staying...

a) its his fault he might not be starting every week.

b) we have decent cover if one of them gets injured.

Surely the reason he has not asked for a transfer is because he wants his loyalty bonus and the club do not want to put him on the transfer list because they do not want to pay it, which they would have to if he does not ask for a move.

Maybe he's just waiting to see what develops, he's in a good position at the moment. He might not be desperate to actively look for a transfer.