José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I hope I'm wrong and he plays well if he stays but at what point do we refuse to sell him ?

Its fine saying he has every right to run down his contract and he will play well but say Barca make an offer on deadline and by some miracle we refuse it. We then have a pissed off Jose who will be desperate for the January window to come so he can leave. Its a crazy situation that only suits him not the club.

The fact that he is free to join ANY team next season means that he has no point to sign a new contract with us.  Say if he just demand the same level of wages and willing to play as substitute at Real Madrid, I doubt Real Madrid will turn down the chance.

The worst case we could have now is even if we find a club (e.g. Liverpool) that is willing to pay a few millions for him, he would still refuse to go and see out his contract like Barton.  That's the best way for him, both for career and for money.

Would you rather we had £5m or Jose for another season ?

5m. At least we could go for M'Bengue now. I'm afraid we cannot find a adequate replacement next season and stuck with Naylor/Kadar/Shane.

Fair enough. Was the M'Bengue deal down to transfer cash or him not wanting to sign when we first approached and failed, i dont remember.

I hope I'm wrong and he plays well if he stays but at what point do we refuse to sell him ?

Its fine saying he has every right to run down his contract and he will play well but say Barca make an offer on deadline and by some miracle we refuse it. We then have a pissed off Jose who will be desperate for the January window to come so he can leave. Its a crazy situation that only suits him not the club.

Oh aye, all the power is in his hands basically, that's what happens when a quality player reaches this point in their contract. TBF to him he has worked hard, played well, and earned himself this position.

I remember we have had a bid around 6m rejected, and the club is asking for 10m.  Probably that's too much for a backup and we would have to ensure Jose is leaving before we spend the cash.

Don't forget as well that even though we all know he's top class, in most eyes he's only had one properly successful season in the Premier League. From his perspective, another good season with us might draw attention from the clubs he really wants. Rather than merely join someone better now (ie Liverpool), if he stays another year he potentially gets a shitload of signing on cash, bigger wages and after hopefully proving his ability even more at the top level could join a genuine CL club.

Its fine saying he has every right to run down his contract and he will play well but say Barca make an offer on deadline and by some miracle we refuse it. We then have a p*ssed off Jose who will be desperate for the January window to come so he can leave. Its a crazy situation that only suits him not the club.

Oh aye, all the power is in his hands basically, that's what happens when a quality player reaches this point in their contract. TBF to him he has worked hard, played well, and earned himself this position.

:clap:

Its fine saying he has every right to run down his contract and he will play well but say Barca make an offer on deadline and by some miracle we refuse it. We then have a p*ssed off Jose who will be desperate for the January window to come so he can leave. Its a crazy situation that only suits him not the club.

Including staying with us when we're relegated.  That should be credited.

Don't forget as well that even though we all know he's top class, in most eyes he's only had one properly successful season in the Premier League. From his perspective, another good season with us might draw attention from the clubs he really wants. Rather than merely join someone better now (ie Liverpool), if he stays another year he potentially gets a shitload of signing on cash, bigger wages and after hopefully proving his ability even more at the top level joins a genuine CL club.

Which means he has to perform well for us which is why I'd be happy to hang on for another year.

True enough Dave, I still don't think most of the rest of the world realise how good he is.

If we have to, I would accept him playing out the final year of his deal TBH. If he does really well, maybe gets a Spain call up, and we get into the Europa League (a lot of maybes I know) then he might even decide to stick around.

Obviously if a massively successful club comes for him then he will go rather than resign, but they haven't so far.

The only thing is if he's absolutely set on leaving no matter what, in which case we should sell him ASAP.

Don't forget as well that even though we all know he's top class, in most eyes he's only had one properly successful season in the Premier League. From his perspective, another good season with us might draw attention from the clubs he really wants. Rather than merely join someone better now (ie Liverpool), if he stays another year he potentially gets a shitload of signing on cash, bigger wages and after hopefully proving his ability even more at the top level joins a genuine CL club.

That said, I think the top clubs are kinda correct that they didn't rate Jose's defensive abilities and passing skills.  His 1 on 1 defending is excellent but his positioning and awareness are quite poor imo.

He got loads of stick in the last few games for playing like he wanted out, if he remains in the sort of mind set then why are people expecting him to be great for us?

I hope I am wrong I really do, I hope he stays plays well, gets his international call up and we get into Europe then he chooses to sign a new contract.

However I think we all know that's very unlikely.

ALSO

He will be a lot more attractive to other clubs when he is a free agent, that does not mean he is going to go to Barca and be 1st choice LB it just means he is free so worth the punt.

May be why no one is willing to buy him now if he was rated highly enough by these TOP clubs then surely they would rather pay money and have him now.

Would rather he just stays if no-one offers an acceptable bid to be honest. Don't mind him leaving for a free in a year, I'm sure he'll continue to put in good performances as he'll be aware that the better he plays, the better club he could potentially move to.

That said, I think the top clubs are kinda correct that they didn't rate Jose's defensive abilities and passing skills.  His 1 on 1 defending is excellent but his positioning and awareness are quite poor imo.

For me everything about his defending is absolutely fine, if not brilliant, except when he gets square on to his man and can't turn nimbly enough.

When people try to beat him for pace he devours them, but there were a few cases last season when a tricky player skinned him just by dropping the shoulder and changing direction.

I don't think he will see out the last year btw, even if I'd prefer him to. IMO the club will panic and sell him late on after accepting £4-5m. That Swansea lad will probably be our left back until January at the earliest.

I don't think he will see out the last year btw, even if I'd prefer him to. IMO the club will panic and sell him late on after accepting £4-5m. That Swansea lad will probably be our left back until January at the earliest.

I hope not, but I can see that happening. No backup at LB or RB would be terrifying like.

True enough Dave, I still don't think most of the rest of the world realise how good he is.

If we have to, I would accept him playing out the final year of his deal TBH. If he does really well, maybe gets a Spain call up, and we get into the Europa League (a lot of maybes I know) then he might even decide to stick around.

Obviously if a massively successful club comes for him then he will go rather than resign, but they haven't so far.

The only thing is if he's absolutely set on leaving no matter what, in which case we should sell him ASAP.

If he plays well, and got noticed by the top clubs, being offered a lucrative contract, why would he stay here?

If he doesn't play well, he could still join those clubs by asking for lower wages.

That's why in my opinion 'he's absolutely set on leaving no matter what", and we should sell him ASAP --- but unfortunately we can't find a buyer and he may not agree to move.

i'm with the people who dont mind if he sees his contract out

in reality, i'm pretty sure anyone after him is looking at him thinking 'last year of his contract? we'll get him cheaper than what fat ash is asking for towards the end of the window' ... much the same as the zog situation. 

i'll be happy as the next person if he's still here come september, but i'd go as far to say i'm certain he wont be

I'd rather have Jose for another season and let him leave on a free. It's evident that only a small fraction of the transfer fee we would receive would go into an adequate replacement. The clubs lack of ambition is one of the reasons Enrique won't agree a new contract and it's being proved that they won't spend £20m of a £35m fee because they make up shite excuses like the free transfers cost a lot and Tiote's contract took up a big chunk of it.

I'd rather have Jose for another season and let him leave on a free. It's evident that only a small fraction of the transfer fee we would receive would go into an adequate replacement. The clubs lack of ambition is one of the reasons Enrique won't agree a new contract and it's being proved that they won't spend £20m of a £35m fee because they make up s**** excuses like the free transfers cost a lot and Tiote's contract took up a big chunk of it.

apparently money from 'the carroll money' had been put aside for the replacement :shifty:

so we can spend his fee on paint for the penalty spot  :celb:

I think we'd definitely sell him if we get the opportunity but I have a feeling he'll probably want to hang on in the hope Barca will take him on a free next season. He might well have already been sounded out and will probably tell the likes of Liverpool to get stuffed if that's the case no matter if they offer good money to us. It's all in his hands unfortunately so all we can do is make the best of him being here for another year IMO.

If he plays well, and got noticed by the top clubs, being offered a lucrative contract, why would he stay here?

If he doesn't play well, he could still join those clubs by asking for lower wages.

That's why in my opinion 'he's absolutely set on leaving no matter what", and we should sell him ASAP --- but unfortunately we can't find a buyer and he may not agree to move.

Yes, very true, I thought that as I was posting actually. I guess one possibility is that he becomes genuinely attached to his new better teammates and wants to carry on the NUFC project. I know that's unlikely in modern football.

If he gets a Spain call up then maybe the bigger club thing won't be so important. Again, a big assumption.

For me everything about his defending is absolutely fine, if not brilliant, except when he gets square on to his man and can't turn nimbly enough.

When people try to beat him for pace he devours them, but there were a few cases last season when a tricky player skinned him just by dropping the shoulder and changing direction.

Yup, that's why I said his 1 on 1 defending is excellent.  He will not be outpaced or muscled out, will not concede header easily, and has an above-average tackling sense.  The problem is that he is individually an excellent defender but is also a bad unit in a defense line, especially when trying an offside trap.  That is widely criticized when he was still at Villarreal and I think he hasn't improved much in this area.

I'd rather have Jose for another season and let him leave on a free. It's evident that only a small fraction of the transfer fee we would receive would go into an adequate replacement. The clubs lack of ambition is one of the reasons Enrique won't agree a new contract and it's being proved that they won't spend £20m of a £35m fee because they make up s**** excuses like the free transfers cost a lot and Tiote's contract took up a big chunk of it.

apparently money from 'the carroll money' had been put aside for the replacement :shifty:

so we can spend his fee on paint for the penalty spot  :celb:

Maybe we'll be one of the few clubs that can afford to paint in the middle of the ring, doesn't seem to be many these days.