Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris

Terry trial defence lipreader claims Terry said "you f***ing black c**t" in match

Professional lip-reader btw.

I've no doubt that's what he said, but lip reading isn't the exact science some people seem to think.  A lot of the sounds are made within the mouth and two totally different words can have the exact same external appearance.  Which can be used to comic effect.

"Joe Biden" — A BLR Soundbite

Guest Eric

I'm no professional lip reader but even I can see from that clip that the words don't match the mouth movements. I'd imagine a deaf person who can't hear would come up with exactly what he said. Despite the rubbish evidence so far at court, I bet they don't use this as a way of rubbishing lip-reading skills.

Eh? That's like the prostitute who only realised she'd been raped when the cheque bounced.

Not the best analogy - without wanting to get too sidetracked, if the cheque does bounce then it is rape...

Of course, that's putting aside the lunacy of a prostitute accepting a cheque, taking your analogy too literally and a whole host of other issues that I'm not going to pissfart around with!!!

I'm always humbled when an Aussie starts to show his built-in intellect when versing about criminal law. ;)

Eh? That's like the prostitute who only realised she'd been raped when the cheque bounced.

Not the best analogy - without wanting to get too sidetracked, if the cheque does bounce then it is rape...

Of course, that's putting aside the lunacy of a prostitute accepting a cheque, taking your analogy too literally and a whole host of other issues that I'm not going to pissfart around with!!!

I'm always humbled when an Aussie starts to show his built-in intellect when versing about criminal law. ;)

There's a little bit of sea-lawyer ingrained in all of our convict DNA...

I'm no professional lip reader but even I can see from that clip that the words don't match the mouth movements. I'd imagine a deaf person who can't hear would come up with exactly what he said. Despite the rubbish evidence so far at court, I bet they don't use this as a way of rubbishing lip-reading skills.

You have to use context when lip reading to estimate what's being said. The words 'fight' and 'flag' can look exactly the same, for example, so you have to decide which it is by the words around it. You can't just look at someone's mouth movements and get an exact transcript of what they said without having to fill some gaps with intuition.

Guest neesy111

Complant which triggered investigation into Terry made by off-duty police officer watching game on TV. There was just one complaint.

FFS.  What a joke of a trial this is.

Today reported defence has called for the case to be thrown out because of lack of evidence, despite yesterday Terry admitted he said what he has been alleged to have said (he claims he was being 'sarcastic' I think he has mixed up 'sarcasm' with racist in his head) I do not understand how that can constitute a lack of evidence...

Today reported defence has called for the case to be thrown out because of lack of evidence, despite yesterday Terry admitted he said what he has been alleged to have said (he claims he was being 'sarcastic' I think he has mixed up 'sarcasm' with racist in his head) I do not understand how that can constitute a lack of evidence...

Seems to be a pretty fruitless application but Terry is paying a Silk on a private basis so he's probably looking to bill for as much as possible....

Whole trial just shows how badly focussed the racism debate is in this Country. Large part of the problem is the media. This isn't racism, its just idiots being idiots to each other.

this is John Terry we're on about not suprised in the slightest he'd try it

Guest BooBoo

From what I've read, a half time submission of "no case to answer" seems apt. Seems a flakey case to me.

No doubt the bench will fudge it, call Terry's defence and them acquit after trial.

At this stage whole trial seems to be based on purely whether Terry said 'black cunt' in a sarcastic/questioning manner (as in questioning Ferdinand's accusation) or said it in a threatening/abusive manner of his own accord. There seems no doubt that he did say it, which is incredibly stupid whatever the meaning and outcome of the trial.

He's admitted he said the words he's being prosecuted for as I understand it now just said he was being sarcastic, which doesn't make any sense. Maybe context is everything but can't think of a good one... Should know better, and bang to rights as far as I can see.