Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

8 game minimum so Liverpool can't moan surely

I dunno like, there's a difference between just saying the word and repeating it as many times as Suarez reportedly did. I don't understand how the FA can charge him with this if a court of law couldn't prosecute him.

Guest neesy111

I dunno like, there's a difference between just saying the word and repeating it as many times as Suarez reportedly did. I don't understand how the FA can charge him with this if a court of law couldn't prosecute him.

:dowie:

In court you need 100% proof that he did it, with FA you don't.

much lower burden of proof required by an FA tribunal than a court of law

The cheek of you to use that smilie toward anyone. :lol:

My point was the court's decision should've been the end of it. Not enough evidence to lead to a prosecution, not enough evidence to lead to a ban.

Guest neesy111

My point was the court's decision should've been the end of it. Not enough evidence to lead to a prosecution, not enough evidence to lead to a ban.

Why wasn't the Suarez case taken to court then...

Why wasn't the Suarez case taken to court then...

Perhaps because not one member of the public reported the incident to the police?

Guest neesy111

FA only bring charges they expect to win - of 473 cases heard by an Independent Commission in 2011 only 2 resulted in not guilty verdicts.

Wow.

Not enough evidence to lead to a prosecution, not enough evidence to lead to a ban.

But there was enough evidence to lead to a prosecution, that's why he was prosecuted.  There wasn't enough evidence to be convicted because it couldn't be proven that his story was false beyond reasonable doubt, no matter who improbable.

The FA don't have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt, just on the balance of probabilities.

• 2 months later...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8178966/Chelsea-refuse-to-confirm-if-John-Terry-remains-club-captain

Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has refused to confirm whether John Terry is still the Blues' captain.

Terry was banned for four matches and fined £220,000 after an independent Football Association panel found him guilty of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

Terry confirmed on Thursday that he will not be appealing against the sanctions, and Chelsea revealed that they would be disciplining the defender separately.

The Blues insist however that the nature of their punishment would remain confidential.

Speaking at Friday's pre-weekend press conference, boss Roberto Di Matteo was asked if that punishment included being stripped of the club captaincy.

He said: "We do not discuss publicly the disciplinary matters we take against our players. They remain confidential. You will have to wait and see.

"They are internal matters, the action we take against our players, and we are not going to discuss it.

"Over the many years he has been here he has shown a lot of qualities. He has realised that on that day he fell below his standards and the clubs standards.

"For that he has received a ban and a fine and more action from the club. He is being punished for what he has said. We have all made mistakes in our life before.

"We appreciate he has not appealed the ban and the fine and that he has apologised publicly for the language that he used.

"He has apologised generally to everyone, including the Ferdinand family. It wasn't a matter of not apologising directly. It was a matter of apologising to everyone for the language used in that game.

"He knows it was not appropriate and he has been banned and fined for that."

Although he is banned from domestic matches, Terry can play in the Champions League. Asked if he would captain the side against Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine next week, Di Matteo said: "you will have to wait and see."

The video link is below.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16430_8179204,00.html

Guest bimpy474

Club record fine apparently.

True but its like taking 5p off a normal person.

Racism should be a 6 month minimum ban or much longer, akin to drug taking length.