Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

But terry has admitted he said that, just that it was repeating an accusation. The court ruled it was crossed wires, that both Terry and Ferdinand were reliable witnesses so that ferdinand was probably not lying in saying he never said it, and Terry wasn't lying when he said he thought he heard the accusation :/

I don't think it's too unreasonable for the FA to step in now, at least to make it clear to all players, even if sarcastically repeating an accusation, never say language like that on the pitch, cos it'll end badly like this.

If ferdinand has used that "choc ice" term then he deserves punishment. I find it very offensive and i am sure a lot of black people will. Its very similar to the term "coconut" which has been used in the past as a derogatory term against black people.

If ferdinand has used that "choc ice" term then he deserves punishment. I find it very offensive and i am sure a lot of black people will. Its very similar to the term "coconut" which has been used in the past as a derogatory term against black people.

He used it, but not in the same context as it was previously tweeted to him.

Pretty much like this case, if you like. :joey:

Just some pointless pettifogging, but coconut is for brown people (also BBDC). The old black one is/was Milky Way.

That's what he claims, I find it very hard to believe that he didn't know exactly what was meant by the term.

That's what he claims, I find it very hard to believe that he didn't know exactly what was meant by the term.

Did you even read the tweet?

I only saw what apparently was written repeated in numerous publications, which admittedly can totally twist things, what I read was:

Some dick end: "Looks like Ashley Cole's going to be their choc ice," "Then again he's always been a sell out. Shame on him."

Ferdinand: "I hear you fella! Choc ice is classic! hahahahahahha!!"

If there's something else I'd be genuinely interested to see it.

Well, there's no law against using that term though, is there?! :lol:

Considering it was supposed to be an offensive term towards blacks can whites take offence to it too? I mean it suggests there is something inherently wrong with being white. Also I know 'wigger' is a slang term for whites acting 'black'* but 'choc ice' seems like a bit more fun, maybe its time whites came up with a new comparable phrase. The ferdinand/cole thing is a symbol of just how much the media is driving this. 

*as in the negative stereotype of a minority of blacks.

I didn't mention any laws since that wasn't my point.  AFAIK there's no law against using any term, only a law against using a term to incite.  My only point was I don't believe Ferdinand's bullshit excuse.  Which was something like "I just meant it as a way to say he was being fake".  He stops short of describing the full meaning, its just as bad as the term Terry used.

I didn't mention any laws since that wasn't my point.  AFAIK there's no law against using any term, only a law against using a term to incite.  My only point was I don't believe Ferdinand's bullshit excuse.  Which was something like "I just meant it as a way to say he was being fake".  He stops short of describing the full meaning, its just as bad as the term Terry used.

Err, he never described Cole as "choc ice" though, did he?! It was simply tweeted to him and he simply repeated the phrase but not in the context as the initial tweet.

I don't know what's Ferdindand guilty of, here? The fact that he simply used the phrase?

You'd have a difficult task in court proofing that he meant it as an insult towards Cole, I tell ya. :lol: