Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

If a criminal court couldn't find him to be guilty, I doubt the FA will be able to do anything.

They can, the Suarez thing didn't end up in court as that would had been difficult to prove in-court as well.

I thought it was because no complaint was made to the police? I'm not sure, in all honesty. I just presumed this would be the end of it.

The FA handed out a ban to Suarez 'on the balance of probabilities'. The standard used in a criminal court is higher - 'beyond reasonable doubt'.  Something can be proven on the balance of probabilities, but not beyond reasonable doubt. If they FA hide behind the criminal acquittal then it is double standards for sure.

The FA handed out a ban to Suarez 'on the balance of probabilities'. The standard used in a criminal court is higher - 'beyond reasonable doubt'.  Something can be proven on the balance of probabilities, but not beyond reasonable doubt. If they FA hide behind the criminal acquittal then it is double standards for sure.

and no doubt bring around a lot of moaning from liverpool fans

Guest neesy111

Agreed, the FA had it's report done into this since November but couldn't do/say anything with a criminal case going on.

Guest antz1uk

john 'elliot ness' terry

i actually despise the man, however i'm not sure he's racist or what he said was his views on race or whatever, imo he's just ignorant and a neanderthol and doesn't give a shit about anything other than himself and shows what is wrong with the modern day footballer. unfortunately these players will do or say anything to wind up a member of an opposing team, the problem is what is classed as racist or just wind up, it's done to get a bite from the opposing player to put him off his game, i'm not saying it's right btw, however they are showing complete double standards as this is the sort of thing we have spent years trying to stamp out of the game from the terraces/stands, for that part he should have been found accountable

So John Terrys case was basically "i said to i him "i didn't call you a fucking black cunt"? Is that correct?

One guys word against another, i'm amazed it got to court in the first place.

So John Terrys case was basically "i said to i him "i didn't call you a f***ing black c***"? Is that correct?

That's essentially it. Garth Crooks has come out and said that even if he did say that then he should still be charged by the FA just because nobody should be able to say those words. Even though he Crooks says them himself in the article!

So John Terrys case was basically "i said to i him "i didn't call you a f***ing black c***"? Is that correct?

That's essentially it. Garth Crooks has come out and said that even if he did say that then he should still be charged by the FA just because nobody should be able to say those words. Even though he Crooks says them himself in the article!

And Anton Ferdinand?

John Terry has written a letter of apology to Anton Ferdinand...Good golly Anton, sorry about all this monkey business, it's only a little black humour really and it's all gone bananas. What do you say we call a spade a spade and forget this whole dark episode between us? Feel free to swing by for a drink sometime. JohnT.

What a non-story.

Best bit is this:

The fallout from John Terry's court case took a dramatic twist on Saturday when Rio Ferdinand reacted laughingly to the description of Ashley Cole as a "choc ice" on Twitter and the Chelsea left-back's lawyers felt obliged to become involved.

:frantic:

Oh wait.

"Ashley Cole has been made aware of the discussion following comments appearing on Twitter and wishes to make it clear that he and Rio Ferdinand are good friends and Ashley has no intention of making any sort of complaint. Ashley appreciates that tweeting is so quick it often results in off-hand and stray comments."

Dramatic stuff.

Guest neesy111

I suspect Terry was guilty but you shouldn't be tried twice for the same offence unless something new comes to light.

A further trial by the FA feels too much like that.

Eh, no it doesn't.

A criminal and football investigation are completely different and the fact it happened in a football match means the FA needs to investigate it or it'd bring the whole game disripute.

I suspect Terry was guilty but you shouldn't be tried twice for the same offence unless something new comes to light.

A further trial by the FA feels too much like that.

Eh, no it doesn't.

A criminal and football investigation are completely different and the fact it happened in a football match means the FA needs to investigate it or it'd bring the whole game disripute.

They are different but not 'completely' different.

The whole thing has already been investigated in grim detail, and it boils down to whether someone can really say in this case - okay it's not been proved beyond reasonable doubt, but it's okay to punish him on the balance of probabilities. I don't think so.

There have been various episodes over the last few years where Terry's character has come into question, and this is yet another. But he does have certain rights, and unless you can stand up for the rights of someone like him, it starts to become difficult to stand up for anyone.

The footage is so inconclusive I don't think even a lower burden of proof would result in Terry being found guilty. A good example of why the courts should stay out of football unless you literally kill someone on the pitch.