Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

Am I being ignorant or did anyone else laugh when talksport (yeah, I know) said he was the best centre back on the ball in the league?

Fair enough he isn't bad on the ball but he is no way the best (Rio would 'merk' him and maybe biased but Colo is far better on the ball to lazily name two)

I'll be pissed off if any of our players join a black players union, I don't like or dislike anybody for his colour and I don't think having different players unions for different coloured players will help put a stop to racism.

Guest neesy111

I'll be pissed off if any of our players join a black players union, I don't like or dislike anybody for his colour and I don't think having different players unions for different coloured players will help put a stop to racism.

:thup:

I'll be p*ssed off if any of our players join a black players union, I don't like or dislike anybody for his colour and I don't think having different players unions for different coloured players will help put a stop to racism.

My thoughts exactly. Any player joining would be a disgrace in my opinion, and I mean that. Most normal people see a person before their colour. Seperating people by colour is ridiculous. What about other discrimination too? Hate this Rooney Rule or whatever its called too.

Guest Chubby Jason

Roberts seems to be attention seeking in the extreme with his stance. I really don't understand how shunning an underfunded charity that is 100% behind his cause and has no judicial authority whatsoever is going to help boost awareness for anything apart from Roberts' media profile.

Surely working with them to help improve things and and maximise their influence is the way forward. Also, the idea of a separate "Black Players Union" is a moronic idea that'll do nothing more than create a tangible division between black players and everyone else, which is surely what we want to avoid at all costs.

Roberts seems to be attention seeking in the extreme with his stance. I really don't understand how shunning an underfunded charity that is 100% behind his cause and has no judicial authority whatsoever is going to help boost awareness for anything apart from Roberts' media profile.

Surely working with them to help improve things and and maximise their influence is the way forward. Also, the idea of a separate "Black Players Union" is a moronic idea that'll do nothing more than create a tangible division between black players and everyone else, which is surely what we want to avoid at all costs.

fair comments, roberts is pissing me off with his comments. Doesn't seem to be adding anything constructive at all, just divisive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20119340

Mark Clattenburg: Chelsea make complaint against referee

Chelsea have made a formal complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg after accusing him of using "inappropriate language" to two of their players in the defeat by Manchester United.

Part of the allegation is that Clattenburg used racial language, BBC Sport has learned.

A big assumption, but I would guess that the incident where this 'happened' was when Mikel got a yellow, there was absolutely noting in Mikels reaction to Clatts comments to suggest anything inappropriate, never mind racially slanted.

Any other club or any other time and I might give this more time out of my day, but I actually cant take a Chelsea complaint over racist or otherwise inappropriate language seriously atm.

Growing very tired of the racism debate being fuelled all the time. It seems one event just inspires another one. The lack of action from UEFA prompts a liberal approach to the problem, they have done nothing to get rid of it, corrupt joke of an organization with nothing but greedy, egoistic and small minded idiots in charge. Same goes for FIFA. Handing the WC's to Russia and Qatar is a big middle-finger to the people being persecuted in those countries and a giant fuck off to human rights.

They just do not give a shit about the responsibilities they have.

What is obvious is that these issues should be handled internally by the FA/UEFA/FIFA. If players think they have been treated in any sort of way that is unacceptable, they should report it to the authorities and not be criticised for this. It is their right. At the same time, this sort of thing should not publicly released until an investigation is complete. Once again, we will have a long saga with players and officials being called liars and racists for months. Why are these issues tried and handled by media? Why do the supporters know the details of the incidents before the authorities have even had a chance to sort through everything? Very unfair to everyone and amateur.

What is obvious is that these issues should be handled internally by the FA/UEFA/FIFA. If players think they have been treated in any sort of way that is unacceptable, they should report it to the authorities and not be criticised for this. It is their right. At the same time, this sort of thing should not publicly released until an investigation is complete. Once again, we will have a long saga with players and officials being called liars and racists for months. Why are these issues tried and handled by media? Why do the supporters know the details of the incidents before the authorities have even had a chance to sort through everything? Very unfair to everyone and amateur.

It's not amateurism at all, the more the media can milk it, the more eyeballs they'll get with little actual journalism done on their part. They are perfectly complicit on this and it would extremely hard to control.

Fully agree about this as well. It's as if the public and media has become a pre-governing body in all of this. If it's a case of restructuring the procedures and processes in the governing authorities, then so be it. But I highly doubt that there is any sort of development in that area either.

The handling of these matters actually increases the vulnerability and dramatization of the matters as such. We have constant soap operas with  the storyline containing nothing but vague explanations rather than excuses and no proper examples being set.  Everyone is blaming everyone, the one's being called racist blame those who call them racist etc. It gets us nowhere and in the meantime the powers keep their eyes closed and appear completley clueless.

Embarrassing and it's harming the sport.

I think the actions of Roberts/Ferdinands the other week are necessary to raise awareness of the lack of action.

The accusation refers to 'inappropriate' language, rather than 'racist', which sounds a bit mealy-mouthed. As if they know that the remarks weren't racist, but could be seen that way if taken out of context. (eg calling someone a 'cheeky monkey')

If Chelsea have gone down that route, then they should be ashamed of themselves. They really are a shit club.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8209215/

The Metropolitan Police have been asked to investigate whether Mark Clattenburg made racist remarks to Chelsea players.

The referee is already under scrutiny from the Football Association after Chelsea complained about two instances of his "inappropriate language" during Sunday's defeat to Manchester United.

One incident is understood to have involved John Obi Mikel, though reports of a racial element in the alleged language have not been confirmed by Chelsea or any of their players.

Clattenburg has been stood down from this weekend's programme and is co-operating with the FA's ongoing probe, but in the meantime the Society of Black Lawyers wants the police to look into whether a criminal offence has been committed.

A letter from the organisation's chairman Peter Herbert to the Metropolitan Police Service read: "The Society of Black Lawyers wishes to record the incident that took place at Chelsea FC.

"Our information is that racist remarks were directed at John Mikel Obi and at Juan Mata. If so, that is wholly unacceptable in any circumstances.

"Although this matter may be investigated by the FA, it is appropriate that the MPS independently see if a racially-aggravated offence has occurred."