Bolton 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 11/08/07 - Post match thoughts from page 23

BlufPurdi

Guest Craig_NUFC

As you all know i live in Bolton and was at the match today...all be it in the Bolton end, opposite the Geordie faithful as our end was sold out. So obviously i have got back first so i've uploaded the pictures ive taken today and thought i'd share them with you all.

First i thought i'd show you just how empty the Bolton end was near where i was sitting

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4963/img0185jw0.th.jpg

and the rest of my photo's can be found here http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x213/Craig_NUFC/

Oh btw absolutely fantastic support today lads  :clap:

Sorry if this has been posted before, why wasn't Enrique playing?

Allardyce is talking about breaking him into our game gently, decided this wasn't the game to begin him with.

Guest Texasmag

Canny match report in the Guardian/Observer

Source: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,2147102,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

Martins' killer brace yields a good return for Big Sam

Duncan Mackay

Sunday August 12, 2007

The Observer

A good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un, the adage goes. That proved to be as true here as anywhere else in this clash between 'Big' Sam Allardyce, in his first match as Newcastle manager, and 'Little' Sammy Lee, his former assistant who has stepped up to replace him as Bolton boss.

Allardyce had claimed on the eve of the match that he was expecting a warm welcome from fans appreciative at what he had done for them in his seven-and-a-half years in charge. But from the moment he was booed when he got off the team coach upon arrival, it was fairly clear that he was going to be disappointed.

There appeared to be a subtle attempt by Bolton to denigrate what Allardyce achieved here, ranging from several articles in the programme, including Lee's programme notes, which said how they had made a number of changes and introduced new personnel which they believed to represent a great improvement on how things were done previously, to chairman Phil Gartside appearing on radio just before kick off to claim speculation surrounding Allardyce in the transfer market was 'damaging' the club and that the club had 'grown stale' under him.

Even Amir Khan appeared on the pitch alongside Lee before the match to show his support. As a boxer he can recognise a sucker punch when he sees one and that is exactly what his team suffered in the 11th minute when Charles N'Zogbia fired in a free-kick that new-boy David Rozehnal strained to reach but failed, only to see it still arch beyond the dive of keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Ten minutes later, Obafemi Martins, who, like the injured Michael Owen, had been linked with a move away during the summer due to a get-out clause in his contract, ensured his cult status would not be affected when he hit a spectacular overhead kick into the roof of the net following Jlloyd Samuel's failure to cut out James Milner's cross, although there was a hint of offside about it.

Bolton's sense of injustice only grew in the 24th minute when Alan Smith and Steven Taylor combined to clear Kevin Nolan's shot off the line amid claims that Smith had used a hand. When Martins raced through two minutes later and hit a shot which took a fortuitous deflection off Abdoulaye Faye and wrong-footed Jaaskelainen, Allardyce, resisting the temptation to celebrate in the directors' box in which he used to be such a familiar figure, merely readjusted his earpiece to communicate with the bench.

Allardyce ventured down pitch side for the second-half - enduring by now a predictable hail of abuse - and arrived just in time to see Nicolas Anelka pull a goal back in the 50th minute. Nolan led a breakaway and fed the ball into the path of the Frenchman who tucked the ball under the legs of Steve Harper.

Hopes of a comeback that would have entered Bolton folklore flickered only briefly though for the home fans. They were instead forced to watch as Newcastle stifled the game in midfield - something they would have been used to seeing under Allardyce - and the away supporters taunted them with chants of 'Big Sam's Black and White Army' and 'We are top of the league'.

Under Allardyce, with a new billionaire owner they pray will soon open the chequebook, those fans hope this may finally be the season to be cheerful.

What kind of reception did Big Sam get from Bolton fans? Did we play 4-4-2?

Frosty enough, they were probably just sickened at getting thumped though.

And no, we played 4-3-3. I expect that'll become a regular thing as well.

Owen will be pleased :lol:

He won't be here much longer though, on the bright side.

Do you know something we don't Shak?

Guest elbee909

which took a fortuitous deflection off Abdoulaye Faye and wrong-footed Jaaskelainen

Tautological use of the word 'fortuitous' (which means 'by chance' rather than fortunate) but then I guess these guys get paid per word or something.  Warf warf.

we were great today, so happy to see us playing like a team, also would like to say i thought viduka looked very assured on the ground, great feet, and of course gave them hell in the air, something shola just can not do

well done lads

Cracking day out and a quality performance, thought Smith, Butt and Geremi in a middle three looked unbreakable, was pleased with Taylor and Roz as well thought they both played well. Right back is still a weak link though, we defiantly need to sign one to take over Carr before the window closes. Am I right in thinking Nicky Shorey can play right back and left back?

What kind of reception did Big Sam get from Bolton fans? Did we play 4-4-2?

Frosty enough, they were probably just sickened at getting thumped though.

And no, we played 4-3-3. I expect that'll become a regular thing as well.

Owen will be pleased :lol:

He won't be here much longer though, on the bright side.

Do you know something we don't Shak?

I know a lot of things you don't know, Kaka.

I'm watching the replay on sky and I have to say it's early days yes, but i think i see very good times ahead, not only is the team bursting with talent, we are solid and hard, and it's down to Sam... how stupid are the FA to appoint McLaren over him... there loss our gain

Guest Slagter_Palle

on nufc.co.uk they announce that highlights on world will be released saturday night! Anybody knows when?? It's kind of saturday night to me know :knuppel2:

Just seen the stats on Skysports.

We only had 36.9% possession? I know it means nothing as we won the game 3-1. But isn't this figure quite low?

at half time we'd had 59% and after 30 mins we'd had 69%. i guess at 3-0 down at home you'd expect bolton to come out a bit more.