Reading 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 10

James

Crap defending all match long.. It will be a fully deserved victory for Reading too.. Sam has his work cut out for away matches it seems..

Allardyce having his work cut out is down to him, crap team selection and crap tactics.

I hoped Allardyce would have learned from our previous away games, and particularly Derby. It appears not.

He just can't pick his best team, his starting midfield was piss poor really four CM's filling out a midfield, if you play that narrow you never win games, especially away games.

90mins of absolute rubbish. Once again showed why we wont finish above mid table this season. Its alright getting results at home, but you need points away too. Still havent played the big boys at SJP either.

Ratings

Given 5, Beye 6, Faye 5, Cacapa 4, Enrique 5, Geremi 4, Butt 5, Emre 6, Barton 5, Owen 5, Martins 5

Subs: Milner 5, N'Zog 6, Smith 6

Saw the second half - disgraceful.

Taking Martins off = dispicable decision.

And, oh, we brought Enrique in to be a long-ball merchant did we? Nice one. :thup:

To be fair, Martins was having a shitter. Got a text from a mate at the ground who said he had a niggle as well.

Have to say, i'm a massive Allardyce fan, but he got it totally wrong today.

Allardyce is to blame for this one. He got the tactics all wrong...

Everyone but Cacapa and Butt were decent.

Given

Beye Rozehnal Faye J.Enrique

Milner Barton Emre N'Zogbia

For next match tbh...at least until Given learns portuguese :lol:

Cant really decide on the strikers, as none of them have actually been convincing.,,

I think we lost this game from the mid-field.

We were incredibly narrow for all but the last few minutes (after Milner came on) and Barton & Geremi were pretty crap (IMHO).

Bringing on Smith and Nzogbia was the right choice, but it should have been on for Barton and Geremi, putting Emre out on the right, with Nzogbia on the left with Smith and Butt in the centre mid-field.  Then bring on Milner for Emre and we would have had Owen & Martins forward with Milner, Butt, Smith & Nzogbia in the mid-field, we would more than likely have won this then (I think, anyway).

Our defence was doing a reasonable job given how they were being pommelled.  We were totally out classed through the midfield area, and we ran the ball so narrowly up the centre of the pitch Reading's defence basically just had to stand in the middle, hold hands and we'd just run the ball in to them.

Poor substution choices cost us this game.

(p.s. this is not an Alardyce bash, just my thoughts on what went wrong)

i dont get why he went for such a strange midfield, sacrificing creativity for solidity (which is a false dichotomy anyway, best form of defence attack etc etc). four central midfielders and two wingers on the bench against the worst defensive team in the league. it's not like they're arsenal or man utd and we have to pack the midfield and try to reduce the game to a physical contest, if anything, with games like these, it's the opposite, have to try and make it open cos our natural advantage lies with the likes of martins, n'zogbia, emre, owen. not with the likes of butt, barton or geremi. can anyone who watched the match make sense of the midfield selection?