Steve McClaren

Dave

It's going to take him half a dozen or so games to establish his best team, especially after our complete mess of a pre season. No doubt we'll see Aarons knocking on the door before long.

Yep.

Fact is, he went with Obertan and the guy provided a superb assist, whilst doing nothing otherwise offensive throughout the game. The shirt is his atm, whether we like it or not. But there shouldn't be any longevity to it and if Aarons has got anything about him he'll be chomping at the bit to usurp him. Same could apply to Cabella and Perez. Hopefully McClaren isn't as stubborn as Pardew in terms of persisting with shitehorses, thus meaning Obertan provides legitimate, healthy competition.

Situations like this were essentially hopeless under Pardew because it barely represented squad competition with him. He just stuck with shite players for far too long - when they were clearly keeping better players out of the team for long periods. Player X - Obertan/Jonas/Gosling/whoever - would have a semi-okay run in the side, then have a stinker, but still find themselves in the team next week. This time, when Obertan inevitably goes to shit, Aarons will hopefully be there ready to come in - absolutely busting a gasket.

Might be clutching at straws but I can't see Obertan starting more than half a dozen games before Christmas.

Anita

“I think it helps the manager has experience of Dutch football and has a style fairly similar to what I would be used to in Holland.

“The way he sets his team up is fairly similar to a lot of Dutch sides and the role I am playing now is the most similar to the one I used to play in at Ajax.

“Hopefully, that will mean I can fit in more easily than maybe before.”

Nice little tonic for those saying McClaren was worse than Pardew (at the time of his appointment).

Did anyone on here say that? Cronky doesn't count.

[emoji38]

I know I responded to a fair few comments along the lines of 'It's another Pardew', 'another English dinosaur'.

Anyway, hopefully this better style of play is what we see every week.

:facepalm:

How are those the same thing? What I, and a few others, said was that Steve McClaren was an unambitious appointment with a very patchy record. Not the significant upgrade the club should have gone for, and I stand by that.

Not sure if it was you or not, but the main gripe for me was people saying he was another Pardew in terms of style of football, which is just plain wrong. I also don't think he failed at Derby but I guess that's open to debate.

did anyone say this at all?  the closest i remember is ronaldo saying that his boro mates hated mclaren and that the football was boring and s*** under him...that's still a very long way from saying he's anything like pardew

Yes. Quite a few actually.

Such as?

Do you want me to name names? :lol:

EDIT: Just go back in the thread and look.

yes i want you to name names as you've made the accusation, i'm not doing your fucking work for you

suits_harveymike.jpg

The quotes call into question McLaren's mentality. Speaking about nullifying not only the threat of Soton's RM, but their f***ing RB as well? That's what's dictating the call for picking Obertan over Aarons, because Obertan can somehow DEFEND better against Cedric? A strong whiff of the Pardewesque, defeatest mentality if that's what he actually means. And whatever the f*** he actually meant with those quotes, there is simply no reason at all for starting Obertan over Aarons or even a poodle.

I was under the impression that he wanted to peg the full backs back by offering our own threat down the wings (albeit only in the form of pace in Obertan's case). His plan was clearly to try and push Southampton into their own half due to the potential speed we had on the transition.

That isn't a Pardewesque mentality at all.

:thup:

Exactly. I'm all for calling out a cowardly bullshitter. McClaren hasn't shown any of Pardew's character as of yet when it comes to the footballing side of things. He's in cahoots with the owner, but that's one relationship we are still yet to see how it plays out.

Former England manager McClaren sees no problems in fielding only one English player against Southampton

Newcastle United on the hunt for English recruits, insists Steve McClaren after club starts season with least home-grown talent

Anita

“I think it helps the manager has experience of Dutch football and has a style fairly similar to what I would be used to in Holland.

“The way he sets his team up is fairly similar to a lot of Dutch sides and the role I am playing now is the most similar to the one I used to play in at Ajax.

Nice little tonic for those saying McClaren was worse than Pardew (at the time of his appointment).

[emoji38]

I know I responded to a fair few comments along the lines of 'It's another Pardew', 'another English dinosaur'.

How are those the same thing? What I, and a few others, said was that Steve McClaren was an unambitious appointment with a very patchy record. Not the significant upgrade the club should have gone for, and I stand by that.

Not sure if it was you or not, but the main gripe for me was people saying he was another Pardew in terms of style of football, which is just plain wrong. I also don't think he failed at Derby but I guess that's open to debate.

did anyone say this at all?  the closest i remember is ronaldo saying that his boro mates hated mclaren and that the football was boring and s*** under him...that's still a very long way from saying he's anything like pardew

Such as?

yes i want you to name names as you've made the accusation, i'm not doing your f***ing work for you

Have a look at pages 31, 32 and and 63 for example.

Anita

[emoji38]

Such as?

yes i want you to name names as you've made the accusation, i'm not doing your f***ing work for you

Are you on a wind up? There's two posters on those three pages combined that have likened McClaren to Pardew without even a reference to a similarity in style of football. If this is the best you can do you may as well admit you made it up and apologise for being in the wrong.

Are you on a wind up? There's two posters on those three pages combined that have likened McClaren to Pardew without even a reference to a similarity in style of football. If this is the best you can do you may as well admit you made it up and apologise for being in the wrong.

Get in UB :lol:

Anita

[emoji38]

Such as?

Do you want me to name names? [emoji38]

He trawled at least 30 pages for that response as well [emoji38]

Anita

[emoji38]

Such as?

There's two posters on those three pages combined that have likened McClaren to Pardew without even a reference to a similarity in style of football. If this is the best you can do you may as well admit you made it up and apologise for being in the wrong.

I may be. There's a number of posts in this thread of the "Just another Pardew" ilk, but it seems like the majority of them is concerned with the risk of McClaren being another Ashley puppet etc, rather than his playing style being as bad as Pardew's, although there are a few of them too.

His decision on Colo is what will define him as our manager tbh. He's essentially guaranteed we won't get a quality, experienced CB.

Can't help feel being part of the board influenced it.

No it won't. [emoji38]

His major error today was starting Obertan again, Aarons may not be fit enough but Perez must be.

After that, I haven't got any major gripes with him today. I think it's ludicrous to suggest he was in any way complicit in the sending off, that was all Janmaat's stupidity, and I haven't got a problem with shutting up shop and avoiding a thrashing.

His major error today was starting Obertan again, Aarons may not be fit enough but Perez must be.

After that, I haven't got any major gripes with him today. I think it's ludicrous to suggest he was in any way complicit in the sending off, that was all Janmaat's stupidity, and I haven't got a problem with shutting up shop and avoiding a thrashing.

Aye it might not win us points but quite glad we didn't get stuffed 4 or 5.