Steve McClaren

Dave

It's a weird one, I was quite positive before the West Ham game, seemed we were trying to play better football although the results weren't there.

West Ham was a real shock, never saw a performance as bad as that coming. And today was also awful, at least until it was too late to make any difference.

Not sure it's about selection or tactics at this point, there just seems to be a familiar malaise that's descended on the team again. Much like last season, everyone seems in slow motion, running through the motions, nowhere near what's required. We have the players to do much, much better than this.

Question is how it's turned around, I honestly don't have a clue but I hope McClaren and coaches have some ideas.

It's a weird one, I was quite positive before the West Ham game, seemed we were trying to play better football although the results weren't there.

West Ham was a real shock, never saw a performance as bad as that coming. And today was also awful, at least until it was too late to make any difference.

Not sure it's about selection or tactics at this point, there just seems to be a familiar malaise that's descended on the team again. Much like last season, everyone seems in slow motion, running through the motions, nowhere near what's required. We have the players to do much, much better than this.

Question is how it's turned around, I honestly don't have a clue but I hope McClaren and coaches have some ideas.

Struggling to be convinced we have the players to do much better after last few games. We seem to struggle with the basics and can't play at a decent tempo.

No idea what happens next

Struggling to be convinced we have the players to do much better after last few games. We seem to struggle with the basics and can't play at a decent tempo.

No idea what happens next

Any team that loses at home to Watford will deserve to be in a relegation battle and I think that's where we will be all season, unless we're cut adrift.

It's worrying how clueless we look going forward mind. He has had pre season, been a whore in the press and we are getting worse every game.

That was shocking today and he needs to start dropping players like Colback, Cisse n Sissoko to at least send a message.

Sissoko is 6ft2 and never jumps to win a ball / dominates f*** all / struggles to control or influence a game

I would suggest try watching the game before commenting, Sissoko was one of out best players today, probably only one of three that can hold their heads high.

I would suggest I have seen every game in last few years and held season ticket for 24 year and seen enough shite to recognise it. You seriously think him getting out muscled off the ball every time or failing to influence a fucking thing is him being the best player ?

Doesn't shoot, can't pass, has no creativity and is shit defensively but fuck it lets congratulate the useless cunt for running past his man twice

Outmuscled off the ball. :lol: In a game where he's holding off players for fun before releasing Janmaat. No surprise though, I've seen enough planks at St James who think the sun shines out of Pardew and Colback's arse.

It's worrying how clueless we look going forward mind. He has had pre season, been a whore in the press and we are getting worse every game.

That was shocking today and he needs to start dropping players like Colback, Cisse n Sissoko to at least send a message.

Sissoko is 6ft2 and never jumps to win a ball / dominates f*** all / struggles to control or influence a game

I would suggest try watching the game before commenting, Sissoko was one of out best players today, probably only one of three that can hold their heads high.

I would suggest I have seen every game in last few years and held season ticket for 24 year and seen enough s**** to recognise it. You seriously think him getting out muscled off the ball every time or failing to influence a f***ing thing is him being the best player ?

Doesn't shoot, can't pass, has no creativity and is s*** defensively but f*** it lets congratulate the useless c*** for running past his man twice

Outmuscled off the ball. [emoji38] In a game where he's holding off players for fun before releasing Janmaat. No surprise though, I've seen enough planks at St James who think the sun shines out of Pardew and Colback's arse.

You need to read back a bit, I hated Pardew n Colback. Did you see him get beaten to the ball time and time again. Did you watch as he stood static rather than jump with nobody around him, no? Thought not - maybe you should open your eyes and see his limitations rather than the odd forest gump run that does fuck all

Knee Jerks galore in here, f***ing hell.

I didn't see the first half but being 0-2 down at home to Watford is not acceptable. It's worrying how much of the team isn't gelling together or working, but at the same time not surprising. When everyone on here posts their first choice XI it's always with a caveat of 'the best we have available' or with players that you know don't complement each other well. That's what happens when your existence model is based on being cheap and sell on value.

Anyway, today was s***,unacceptable and with this squad of players, we should not be getting beaten by Watford. Needs sorting out and fast.

How is it a knee-jerk if people express their very valid worries about this going down pretty much the way they expected/feared it would? Appoint an average manager and you will get average results at best. It's really not rocket science.

It's knee jerk because at the first sign of any trouble, the response I see is 'sack the manager'. We have had 3 really poor performances this season and I don't personally believe 3 bad games warrants someone to lose their job.

Three "really poor performances" out of six Premier League games mind you, so a 50% rate and particularly in games where you would normally expect a Newcastle game to get something too. Let's face facts here, he's had a difficult start to the season on paper but he's made an absolute dog's meal of it too. If this continues questions need to be asked. How long do you give him before asking questions. I have said before I would not sack him before the end of the season unless we are in serious danger of going down. If things don't pick up in the next few weeks we could already be cut adrift and need a run of wins or good draws against stronger opposition somewhere down the line similar to the one we had last October/November or the one Leicester had at the end of last season. The pressure is definitely on McClaren now whether you like it or not.

We have so many players who lack a defined position. Sissoko, Perez, Wijnaldum, Colback, Thauvin to name just 5. Each or those could cause a debate over what their best position is. We seem to have signed loads of players and then try to fit round fucking 4231 rather than the other way round

A bit worrying to hear his interview on Sky where he was saying the game was too open. Sounds like he might be going back to two defensive midfielders which is bollocks. We conceded two goals through rank bad defending from Haidara and Janmaat for the first goal, and Colo for the second. We basically handed them the game inside the first 20 mins.

We're playing Watford at home and he uses the excuse that the game was too open - yes that's Watford Steve not Many City or Man Utd or Chelsea - bloke is a total joke and there are still some on here trying to make excuses - UNREAL!!!!

Guest chicken little

haha i would be interested to see a verbatim transcript of his post-match interview. pure stream-of-consciousness nothingness.

I like Anita but he wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. We'd still have been outmuscled and the defenders left to struggle with superior athletes.

We had Sissoko and Wijnaldum as part of a midfield 3 in the first and they looked utterly toothless like that. Can't imagine it'd be any different if you made them a 2 in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever. Only hope we have in that area is Tiote and he's A) injured/AWOL and B) not even very good.

Anita can play a forward pass for a start, not everything is about defending, attacking the opposition can actually push them away from our goal unless Cisse is playing up front.

Howay, Mick, Anita's a tidy footballer but he doesn't really do a lot of forward passing. We had very attacking players ahead of the DM, anyway, enough to perform much better than we did.

Where's the PardewOut.com lads. We need them back double quick. We were so bad today it was embarrassing today. Encouragingly I had Watford fans saying they thought we'd stop up...

Probbly give up with our fans after the shit they got last time. Our fans deserve this for their blind loyalty to the lads or whatever shit they say

He should be thoroughly embarrassed of his work thus far but I suspect, like I suspect of a lot of folk in the industry, he's happy to pick up his wages and ride the never-ending footballing merry-go-round where your next job is never far.

I like Anita but he wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. We'd still have been outmuscled and the defenders left to struggle with superior athletes.

We had Sissoko and Wijnaldum as part of a midfield 3 in the first and they looked utterly toothless like that. Can't imagine it'd be any different if you made them a 2 in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever. Only hope we have in that area is Tiote and he's A) injured/AWOL and B) not even very good.

Anita can play a forward pass for a start, not everything is about defending, attacking the opposition can actually push them away from our goal unless Cisse is playing up front.

Howay, Mick, Anita's a tidy footballer but he doesn't really do a lot of forward passing. We had very attacking players ahead of the DM, anyway, enough to perform much better than we did.

Anita like De Jong, Tiote and Wijnaldum are players who McClaren should know very well though with his time in Dutch football. Maybe it's the inclusion of Jordi Jack which is the fly in the ointment but he feels he needs to keep a local lad in the team.

He should be thoroughly embarrassed of his work thus far but I suspect, like I suspect of a lot of folk in the industry, he's happy to pick up his wages and ride the never-ending footballing merry-go-round where your next job is never far.

He'll just be delighted to have his mug back in the Premier League. He's exactly like Pardew in that sense. A never-was pulled off the scrap heap purely because he's desperate and will do exactly what he's told.

The worrying thing is that there's precious little noticeable change so far. Any new manager should be able to get any set of players to turn up for the first home game of the season, or at Old Trafford early on. Basic motivation that.

If we were failing to win but you could see what we were trying different it would be much easier to accept bad results. I'm now of the opinion that the positives I thought I saw in the first few games must have been a mirage.

He needs to start changing things - and I don't mean dropping one player - because it's not working.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-lose-again-steve-mcclaren-6477749?

Under-fire Newcastle boss Steve McClaren insisted there was no crisis at St James’ Park despite the Magpies making their worst start for 16 years.

After crashing 2-1 at home to newly-promoted Watford, McClaren – who is still searching for his first league win with the Geordies – admitted that his team had a tough job to turn things round.

But he declared: “No way is it a crisis. This is not a time to panic.

“I know the Premier League and we have to find a way to win. We have been searching for that win for six games.”

Newcastle are now joint bottom of the league, ahead of north-east neighbours Sunderland only on goal difference, after being sunk by a brilliant brace by Odion Ighalo. Daryl Janmaat pulled a goal back, but the final whistle was greeted by boos from a frustrated St James’ Park.

“You are where you deserve to be,” said McClaren. “Judge us after ten games not six.

“We are changing a lot of things here. In the short time I’ve been here I’ve seen good, bad and indifferent. I can understand the fans’ reaction.

“We have too much experience to panic. The players will have to take a lot of criticism, from me and the fans.

“But we must stick together. We must have a dressing room that stays tight and look at the positives.

“One positive is we had a go in the second half. Unlike when we went down to West Ham [on Monday night], this time there was a reaction. I couldn’t fault the attitude in the second half.

“This is a tough job. I’ve no illusions about that. We’ve got the backroom staff to turn it around. We’ve got the ability. We need to get on the training pitch on Monday and work on our defence.

“It’s lucky that this is happening now — it’s early enough to do something about it. There are a lot of things to do and we’re not hiding behind anything."

Striker Papiss Cisse, who according to reports has angered staff with his lack of commitment, was taken off at the interval.

“I don’t regret starting with him,” said McClaren. “He’s our only recognised striker. He needs good service. He didn’t get that against West Ham, but he did against Watford.

“Watford are a good team. I’ve been impressed by them last season when I was at [Champinship rivals] Derby and now this season.”

http://i.imgur.com/6EiXDXQ.png

Hmm.

He's just put even more pressure on himself with that comment.

Loose the 10th game and he'll be under the cosh alright.

I hope he can turn it around, but I just don't think the dross we still have on the books will react quickly enough. If he's one of the best coaches as some ex players have claimed, we have yet to see any evidence of that.