Newcastle United 2 - 2 Derby - 23/12/07 - post match reaction from page 15

James

:lol:

We were all over them. There was a ten-minute period after they scored where they were on top and looked good. Other than that, the other 75 minutes or whatever, we were by far the better team.

It was average vs absolute s*** today.

I'm not happy with the result or the performance, but we should have won.

I agree 100%, but it gets so frustrating at times I can understand why people over react on this board.  It could have been 3-1 at the half if not for some horrible refereeing and Barnes clearing Martins off the post. 

I would honestly love to sit and listen to Sam's reasoning for that starting midfield.  Also, if Taylor is healthy, why isn't he starting a head of Rozy?  It was a Czech-mate-nutmeg of an embarrassment on their 2nd.  ;)  I feel bad for Rozy, he looks like he's trying his best, but it ain't good enough. 

More points lost to an abysmal team.  :( 

People can make excuses and explore our performance today, talk about what we deserved etc. but at the end of the day, In games where we should have taken 6 points (Derby (h) and (a)), we have instead taken 1 point. That is not acceptable in any way.

Barring matches against us, Derby have 3 points from half a season of football. Extrapolate that and they are comfortably the worst team to ever have played Premiership football. For periods today they played us off the park. Pathetic.

Not to mention they've only scored 5 goals if you take away our games against them.

If you take off those five goals and the points from the three games they've drawn before today, they have no points and no goals.  I don't see it as a useful statistic though

Are you for real? If that's not a useful statistic why even have a league (table) in the first place?

Taylor was dreadful when he came on, he was like Peter Kay in the john smiths advert with some of his clearances.

Taylor was dreadful making good clearances?  Something the other two didn't do all afternoon

I guarantee he wouldn't have been f****** nutmegged on that goal, either.  Granted, he'd have probably ran him over for a yellow, but we'd have not drawn (whoops! felt like a loss!) today. 

Taylor was dreadful when he came on, he was like Peter Kay in the john smiths advert with some of his clearances.

Taylor was dreadful making good clearances? Something the other two didn't do all afternoon

I guarantee he wouldn't have been fucking nutmegged on that goal, either. Granted, he'd have probably ran him over for a yellow, but we'd have not lost today.

We didn't lose, mate ;)

Though it sure feels like one.

Taylor was dreadful making good clearances?  Something the other two didn't do all afternoon

The whole side was shit today. With the exception of Duff and perhaps Emre. Other people being shit doesnt make up for individuals also being shit. Once is unfortunate, twice careless, all season tends to piss folk off. There are players in the side who have been consistently shite.

sad thing is, Taylor and Roz are as bad as each other, both clueless when it comes to defending

Taylor alongside Faye is probably our best CB pairing.  Not going to argue that Roz looks nervous out there and should have

done better, but he's not clueless.  I dunno if it's just communication break down or what, but that 2nd goal should have been

marked better.

I guarantee he wouldn't have been f****** nutmegged on that goal, either.  Granted, he'd have probably ran him over for a yellow, but we'd have not lost today. 

We didn't lose, mate ;)

Though it sure feels like one.

Haha....  I edited it after reading my post again. 

sad thing is, Taylor and Roz are as bad as each other, both clueless when it comes to defending

Taylor alongside Faye is probably our best CB pairing.  Not going to argue that Roz looks nervous out there and should have

done better, but he's not clueless.  I dunno if it's just communication break down or what, but that 2nd goal should have been

marked better.

you think both Steven Taylor and Faye are better players than Cacapa, madness

Sam should never have started Butt imo especially against the likes of Derby, what's the point at home? use Emre and Barton our 2 more attacking Centre mids. Against the Big 4 play Butt as he creates pressure and lifts the crowd, but he leaves holes wide open because he runs around like a headless chicken and today Barnes had so much space to shoot because Nicky was too far away from him.

Barring matches against us, Derby have 3 points from half a season of football. Extrapolate that and they are comfortably the worst team to ever have played Premiership football. For periods today they played us off the park. Pathetic.

Not to mention they've only scored 5 goals if you take away our games against them.

before today they'd managed 1 goal away from home, it's a f****** joke

At Old Trafford.

what's your point?

how many have you had today ffs?

'The gap' is appearing again. In between the defence and midfield, there's no communication between the two so a lot of the time it's easy to bypass our midfield and get it into their strikers feet which Derby did quite well to be fair to them. Our mid is then too slow getting back so it's the defence on it's own, the midfield really needs sorting in more ways than one. Away from home it doesn't get shown up as much because we naturally are that bit more defensive but when the mid is needed forward as well none of them seem to know who's going to go and who's going to stay back etc. And because we're playing 433 this gets highlighted much more as there's only 3 midfielders and the two win forwards dont get back. if we're going to play this system in the future the midfield needs investing and a hell of a lot of work put in to.

Whatever people say we were playing 433 a lot today because Martins wasn't playing like a right midfielder, Beye again got exposed badly but once again put in an excellent performance otherwise it could have been more for Derby imo. He should have been motm.