Alan Smith

tmonkey

Hang on, I thought Smith played every game because he was Ashley's favourite player....

Seen it repeated a few times but he wore 17 because that's his lucky number, had f*** all to do with Smith.

I had assumed he had a man-crush on Smith.

He had Smith on the back aswell and went on to say he admired his "grafting" ability or something as he related to his work in business.

It seems Ashley has more of an idea what a footballer is than Keegan when it comes to Smith.

Was thinking same thing.  If there really is a rift between Keegan and Ashley over Smith, I have to say I back Ashley's decision to sell him, although I normally dislike chairman interference, Smith is shit and Keegan can't justify keeping him at all.

It seems Ashley has more of an idea what a footballer is than Keegan when it comes to Smith.

Was thinking same thing.  If there really is a rift between Keegan and Ashley over Smith, I have to say I back Ashley's decision to sell him, although I normally dislike chairman interference, Smith is s*** and Keegan can't justify keeping him at all.

first of all, there's absolutely no chance whatsoever that this particular story is true.. secondly, Keegan is not blind, nor stupid.. he sees Smith play everyday.. I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting rid of such a highly-paid waster.

NEWCASTLE UNITED are ready to cut their losses and allow Alan Smith to move to Everton.

The striker missed his club’s friendly with PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday night, after which Kevin Keegan blamed an ankle injury on Smith’s absence from his side.

The Newcastle manager also talked up Smith’s value to the side – but has not categorically denied he is for sale and is believed to be close to allowing the player to leave.

He cost £6million from Manchester United a year ago but, after failing to settle – or indeed score – on Tyneside, Everton could be set to benefit with a deal worth around £2m.

Goodison Park officials were in the process of following up their interest last night and were considering making an official offer for the 27-year-old.

Smith and Newcastle ware set to agree to a parting of the ways after agreeing that his move has not worked out for the team or the individual.

Including international appearances for England, he has not scored in 48 games since he found the net for Manchester United in their 7-1 thrashing of Roma at Old Trafford in the Champions League quarter-final second leg of 2007.

This statistic has not been helped by the fact that Smith has often been used in a deeper role for the Magpies, even being employed in a bizarre defensive midfield position by previous manager Sam Allardyce at times.

But Everton manager David Moyes, a long-time admirer of the former Leeds man, is confident he can play a valuable role in his squad.

And the Scot is woefully short of attacking options, particularly after Andrew Johnson’s move to Fulham was confirmed yesterday.

NEWCASTLE UNITED are ready to cut their losses and allow Alan Smith to move to Everton.

The striker missed his club’s friendly with PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday night, after which Kevin Keegan blamed an ankle injury on Smith’s absence from his side.

The Newcastle manager also talked up Smith’s value to the side – but has not categorically denied he is for sale and is believed to be close to allowing the player to leave.

He cost £6million from Manchester United a year ago but, after failing to settle – or indeed score – on Tyneside, Everton could be set to benefit with a deal worth around £2m.

Goodison Park officials were in the process of following up their interest last night and were considering making an official offer for the 27-year-old.

Smith and Newcastle ware set to agree to a parting of the ways after agreeing that his move has not worked out for the team or the individual.

Including international appearances for England, he has not scored in 48 games since he found the net for Manchester United in their 7-1 thrashing of Roma at Old Trafford in the Champions League quarter-final second leg of 2007.

This statistic has not been helped by the fact that Smith has often been used in a deeper role for the Magpies, even being employed in a bizarre defensive midfield position by previous manager Sam Allardyce at times.

But Everton manager David Moyes, a long-time admirer of the former Leeds man, is confident he can play a valuable role in his squad.

And the Scot is woefully short of attacking options, particularly after Andrew Johnson’s move to Fulham was confirmed yesterday.

When this was Alex Ferguson, it was a stroke of f***ing genius.

I hate the media.

All you have to do is look at what the first thing Keegan did when we had Dukes & Oba back in Feb. 

Drop Alan Smith. 

Does that not sum up EXACTLY what Keegan thinks of how good smith is?

As said in the other thread...all of this is made up by the media.

All you have to do is look at what the first thing Keegan did when we had Dukes & Oba back in Feb. 

Drop Alan Smith. 

Does that not sum up EXACTLY what Keegan thinks of how good smith is?

As said in the other thread...all of this is made up by the media.

Ashley obviously told KK to drop him. Sorry DEMANDED. That sounds better.

:rolleyes:

If it goes through he certainly wont be the first manager to deny a player is leaving only for them to leave soon after

But its Newcastle and Keegan hasn't a clue whats going on.

He doesn't know Smith is leaving, he doesn't know Coloccino is signing.

He never speaks to Ashley.

He probably doesn't even know he is the manager

"Ok lads, today we got some new argie coming in, play nice"

"anyone seen alan today?"

"gone to everton you say?"

"interesting"

"well then, argie plays upfront with shola and we'll see how that goes"

:smitten:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/08/everton-closing-in-on-alan-smith-61634-21490216/

Everton closing in on Alan Smith

NEWCASTLE United’s already depleted attacking resources could be weakened still further after Everton pushed ahead with their bid to sign Alan Smith.

attacking resources could be weakened?????  surely the stats show we score more and attacking play is better when hes not on the pitch!

It does a tad bit embarrassing for Keegan, he said nothing about Coloccini when all the press and Depor claim he has signed, lets th media say we have signed a player without KK knowing. Then he says Smith is not being sold and all the media seem certain he is going to Everton, makes it look like players being sold from under KK, this is the kind of shit the media love.

I don't know how Keegan gets dressed in the morning.

Keegan picks a pair of jeans,

Wise suggests a newer pair

Jimmenez suggests a nice pair of shorts

Ashley complains the shorts are too expensive

NE5 complains that under Shepherd we had the 5th best pair of jeans in the history of the premiership

Keegan walks out.

Ashley sells up, spits on the badge and publicly wipes himself with a toon shirt.

Absolutely music to my ears hearing he may be sodding off!

Keegan's not daft he knows full well Smith was going.

The exciting part is we are going to need 2 strikers and Healy is one I really don't think Keegan would go for.

I'm sure we'll have another 4 in before the end of the transfer window. Maybe 2 more before the Man u game

I see the Journal is now reporting a £3m fee which is more realistic. When we bought him for £6m I said at the time he was worth only half that, but thanks to us putting our faith in that fat gobshit Allardyce, we got stung. Still, £3m is better than a kick up the arse and it's another high paid waster off the books. Touch wood.

What do they expect Keegan to say? "Oh yes Smith is the worst player I've ever seen and I'm selling him" - as for the not knowing about Coloccini - why was he talking about it in Mallorca if he didn't know owt about it?

What crime has he committed that the press hate him so much? Is it because they know he couldn't give a toss about what they say?

Guest Mucky01

I still can’t see how Everton would match his wages as he is seen as a squad player to the Everton fans and they’re not exactly rich club.

For what it's worth (probably NOTHING), a guy named Big Willie on the Nufcblog (incidentally who told everyone that a bid from Everton had been accepted at 1pm on Wednesday and that he wouldn't feature in the PSV match) reckons he's had his medical and passed it, and we are just waiting for him to put pen to paper before announcing TWO signings (Coloccini and another).

Probably bollocks, but thought I'd pass it on.

Aye seen that to be honest he has been right before but he is probably just guessing or making it up.

You got a link to it?