Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Guest firetotheworks

Can't wait for his talk in next week. What a dreamer he is. Still in love with him now.

Hedworth Hall?! I'll be avoiding this thread and everything else when his name is mentioned as I'm at the 1 at The Fed Brewery the following Friday!

Correct! Can't wait. Apparently he doesn't mention anything that went on with Ashley though. Not that I'm arsed, just want to hear all of the stories of when he played and managed here the first time.

I'd love to know which players he'd have loved to have managed from our current team and what he thinks of Ben Arfa. All of my questions that I'd have for him are pretty much that of an 11 year old.

Guest reefatoon

Watching these now, they really are fantastic, though at the moment he keeps on mentioning "Over the line".  It must have been where Pardew picked it up and thinking he was being all positive like King Kev.

Guest firetotheworks

Remember when he made a midfield of Nicky Butt, Geremi and Joey Barton look like a good, versatile midfield? :lol: That shouldn't be possible.

Even though he's no longer associated in a formal sense with our club even just being on a forum thread about him inspires you, gives you hope, etc... then switch the Pardew thread and immediately you just want to bitchslap the kunt.

Maybe it's like someone mention earlier.... kinda makes you feel like a kid again.  Excited about NUFC and footy in general.  God, forgot what that felt like!

Remember when he made a midfield of Nicky Butt, Geremi and Joey Barton look like a good, versatile midfield? :lol: That shouldn't be possible.

This. People generally outside of Newcastle can appreciate or see things like this. He was a magician of a bloke like

He also reinvented Michael Owen as an attacking midfielder during that run. Keegan is generally still regarded as tactically naive in our game, but he understood football at a basic level far better than most managers in England. His biggest fault in Ashley's eyes was that he wasn't prepared to run a mediocre Newcastle side. Look at the bastard we have in place now and you can see how far we've sunk.

Guest firetotheworks

I know Reading were shit like, but I remember that goal that Viduka scored that was set up by Beye and I remember thinking "this is exactly how we used to play" with just everyone attacking, it was brilliant. I loved that match.

He also reinvented Michael Owen as an attacking midfielder during that run. Keegan is generally still regarded as tactically naive in our game, but he understood football at a basic level far better than most managers in England. His biggest fault in Ashley's eyes was that he wasn't prepared to run a mediocre Newcastle side. Look at the b****** we have in place now and you can see how far we've sunk.

The only tactical naivity he can be accused of is playing to our strengths, playing to take the game to every opposition and not worrying about nullifying opposition players. I would put that more down to confidence and positivity however, again, not like the fraud in charge these days.

I know Reading were s*** like, but I remember that goal that Viduka scored that was set up by Beye and I remember thinking "this is exactly how we used to play" with just everyone attacking, it was brilliant. I loved that match.

Got to see the legend Lamine Diatta make his debut as well. So much to thank Keegan for. :smitten:

I know Reading were s*** like, but I remember that goal that Viduka scored that was set up by Beye and I remember thinking "this is exactly how we used to play" with just everyone attacking, it was brilliant. I loved that match.

Got to see the legend Lamine Diatta make his debut as well. So much to thank Keegan for. :smitten:

:lol: forgot about him. Love his badly written wiki;

"Diatta moved to France when he was only one year old. He was the holding force in the centre of Senegal's defence"

:lol: forgot about him. Love his badly written wiki;

"Diatta moved to France when he was only one year old. He was the holding force in the centre of Senegal's defence"

:lol:

Read Ginola say that Keegan was poor tactically, and that once we knew we could be beaten we lost the title as he couldn't pick up points any other way. Something along those lines anyway; it didn't come across as harsh or anything.

That's the view I was talking about. There is this feeling among pundits that he was poor tactically, but I would just say he wasn't interested in playing the game that way. In any case, even if we won nothing the football was light years ahead of what we're seeing now. I've seen Ginola on tv a few times and it's clear as day that he absolutely loved Keegan.

Also a bit bitter from that thing that was on Sky Sports a year or two back. (saying Keegan talked him out of his dream move to Barcelona, only to quit 4 months later himself).

Understandable tbh. But that also tells you a lot about Keegan's charisma. How many people could persuade a French flair player to turn down Barcelona to stay at Newcastle?

Guest firetotheworks

Also a bit bitter from that thing that was on Sky Sports a year or two back. (saying Keegan talked him out of his dream move to Barcelona, only to quit 4 months later himself).

Understandable tbh. But that also tells you a lot about Keegan's charisma. How many people could persuade a French flair player to turn down Barcelona to stay at Newcastle?

It wasn't so much bitterness (if we're all talking about Time of Our Lives?) but more hurt over it because he stuck by Keegan because he and most of them loved him, only for him to leave.

I can't imagine not understanding his decision to leave and even though it was totally shit at the time, knowing that it was because he didn't like the fans were being treated just makes me love him even more.

It's a different sport we play now. Even in his 2nd spell making us play fantastic football away at spurs and humped them. The passion, hope, waiting - no dying for the next game. I Fucking dread weekends now

Guest firetotheworks

It's a different sport we play now. Even in his 2nd spell making us play fantastic football away at spurs and humped them. The passion, hope, waiting - no dying for the next game. I f***ing dread weekends now

I'm indifferent. I honestly think that's worse. I used to dread the weekends, now I'd rather just forget about it.

It's a different sport we play now. Even in his 2nd spell making us play fantastic football away at spurs and humped them. The passion, hope, waiting - no dying for the next game. I f***ing dread weekends now

I'm indifferent. I honestly think that's worse. I used to dread the weekends, now I'd rather just forget about it.

I just have a need to self harm every Sat and watch us, then 10 minutes in I wish I was blind or dead to not have to watch this shit. I struggle to not watch us when we have a game

It's a different sport we play now. Even in his 2nd spell making us play fantastic football away at spurs and humped them. The passion, hope, waiting - no dying for the next game. I Fucking dread weekends now

That 2nd spell when we weren't scoring goals or winning matches - one thing will always stay etched in my mind. He insisted that the players keep passing the ball and not give in to fear of the consequences because as manager he would accept full responsibility for results. That is football coaching at it's finest.

That 2nd spell when we weren't scoring goals or winning matches - one thing will always stay etched in my mind. He insisted that the players keep passing the ball and not give in to fear of the consequences because as manager he would accept full responsibility for results. That is football coaching at it's finest.

Yip, the home game against Bolton, 0-0 I think his first back, yet I knew it would come and felt hope for first time since Robson left. Unfortunately we have no one with that attitude knocking about to manage us, someone who just gets it. He was made for this club and I won't ever let the cunts at this club tell me otherwise. Where he was naive in defending, he was ruthless in attack. We humiliated teams and made them shit scared to come up here.