Nicky Butt your time is up

TRon

Keegan getting Barton's head right could be absolutely vital. A Barton/Faye combination could work.

But we've said similar things about every squad member (if they can do this, if they can do that) this season, and tried all sorts of different permutations all over the pitch and claimed them to be 'the best one'. It's hard to say. :undecided:

We've got a squad of squad players.

I agree that Butt isn't up to it, i said a while ago that he just isn't good enough for our first team. For me he's a good player to have in your squad and more specifically on the bench. His problem is that, even though he is good at breaking up the play he gives the ball away far too much.

As well as this he's physcially no where near as strong as some of the other DM's. Personally im gutted that we missed out on Diarra as he would have been very good for us. Faye could be an option.

Opta stats - Best tacklers (Tackles made - success rate)

Reo-Coker    122   80%      

Mascherano  103 76%      

Clichy           101        83%      

Malbranque    96   79%      

Butt               95 71%  

:yikes:

Reo-Coker    122   80%      

Mascherano  103 76%      

Clichy           101        83%      

Malbranque    96   79%      

He's good at tackling, his timing and everything is spot on as is his ability to read the game (from a defensive point of view). With the ball though he's just wank, like two different players.

Reo-Coker     122   80%      

Mascherano   103 76%      

Clichy           101         83%      

Malbranque     96   79%      

He's good at tackling, his timing and everything is spot on as is his ability to read the game (from a defensive point of view). With the ball though he's just wank, like two different players.

Against Boro, he gave the ball away  sooooooooooo much with piss poor passing.

I don't mind Butt so much as a defensive midfielder, he is adequate in that position. But I absolutely hate it when he tries the killer pass or God frobid even tries to shoot from distance. It's like it works once out 50 times and yet he does it as frequently as Kaka tries to. You don't see Makelele shooting or trying to play a through ball. Butt should just win the ball and make a simple pass, yet the way he plays sometimes its like he thinks of himself as an AM of sort. Of course part of the reason why this happens is that sometimes our players are too static and don't run into space, but I'm hoping the return of Martins and Emre will lessen that problem.

If he can realize his limitations and play to his strength, then he can be useful as a squad player. Either way get rid in the summer.

I don't mind Butt so much as a defensive midfielder, he is adequate in that position. But I absolutely hate it when he tries the killer pass or God frobid even tries to shoot from distance. It's like it works once out 50 times and yet he does it as frequently as Kaka tries to. You don't see Makelele shooting or trying to play a through ball. Butt should just win the ball and make a simple pass, yet the way he plays sometimes its like he thinks of himself as an AM of sort. Of course part of the reason why this happens is that sometimes our players are too static and don't run into space, but I'm hoping the return of Martins and Emre will lessen that problem.

If he can realize his limitations and play to his strength, then he can be useful as a squad player. Either way get rid in the summer.

If Nicky Butt had more acceleration and pace our midfield would not get bypassed so easily. Yes his job as a DM is to break up play but I have seen so many times this season the opposition attacking midlfileders running passed him with ease (with the ball) without him being able to make a challenge. This is our weakest area IMO we just don't protect our back four like the top teams do. I don't even think defence wise where are that poor either, our problem is outlet balls from defence (I agree alot of players are too static) and having someone good enough to sit in front of them.

I think he's clearly a strong tackler and reads the game well, but he's just far too slow. H ecan't keep up with younger/more skillful players and thus gives away too many fouls. Part of being a class DM is what you do with the ball after you've won it - look at Hamann, Mascherano, Hargreaves, Flamini etc. A DM can't rely on just tackling ability, the game is more dynamic now than it used to be and you need more. Much like strikers/wingers now have to defend a lot better/more than they used to, DMs/CBs I think need to show a bit more class/touch/skill etc. I think Butt just hasn't really adapted his game to modern demands, either that or his game just doesn't suit modern demands. Everyone is right, his passing is dross... now Emre is back maybe he'll get helped out in that department. Still don't think we should just get rid as he's obviously useful/experienced, and he's certainly not just plain shit. Just has limitations that perhaps KK could work on, let's not forget the quality of coaching Butt's had since he joined us: Souness, Bruce, Roeder, Allardyce. What chance did he have to adapt to better, passing football. David Batty wasn't a gifted creative talent but was a key ingredient under Keegan before. I think Butt could improve/work out, but it's certainly worrying how crap he is doing anything attack-wise.

• 7 months later...

He is fucking gash.

Sometimes he plays some nice balls across the park, but then he gives it away cheaply or turns into Alan Smith and hacks someone down.

Its similar to Gary Speed, he is getting too old and should really only be on the bench once we get players back. Hopefully the new manager sees that.

Woeful. Shola saved him from the worst player award today. Infact, tbh, i think he was the worst player tbh. Aye, you've got various duties as a centre-midfielder, but if you can't do the most imperative one - keep the ball - then what fucking hope have you got. Halmosi maybe played for the pen a tad but it was a fucking dreadful attempt at a tackle anyway... i telegraphed from the top of the Gallowgate that the ball was gonna be knocked past hiim, before he was on the fucking floor.

Dreadful player, hurts my brain seeing him on the teamsheet.

I've been saying that he's shit since last season, he gives one good game for every 3 shit games he have, always takes too much time on the ball, always gonna pass the ball to the other team's players at least 3 times a game, he's past it, time to get rid and sign someone else instead.