Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Will we meet them halfway? If they do actually "want" £8.6m, I mean.

Another £850k (€1m) might do the trick.

Remember who you're talking about. :lol:

Aye, I know what you mean.

The main reason I asked people's thoughts was because there were a few signs that we only did all of that business and forced transfers through in January because Ashley had seen the Reading game first-hand and realised the magnitude of the situation. Then came the talk from DL of the previous approach being "too rigid" when the dust had settled, etc.

Also that I got the impression that it was Llambias who got a stonk-on for the financial hard-ball stuff as much as anything and that Ashley wouldn't have been involved directly in much that will have gone before (the day-to-day back and forth with other clubs, the Debuchy stuff, etc.)

Cannonball Joe might be a totally different proposition, if he's not here just to sabotage everything of course. We're going to have to sign a player or two to mount our attack on the CL places you know?

Perhaps losing heavily to Blackpool today will get this one over the line?  :lol:

Will we meet them halfway? If they do actually "want" £8.6m, I mean.

Another £850k (€1m) might do the trick.

Remember who you're talking about. :lol:

Aye, I know what you mean.

The main reason I asked people's thoughts was because there were a few signs that we only did all of that business and forced transfers through in January because Ashley had seen the Reading game first-hand and realised the magnitude of the situation. Then came the talk from DL of the previous approach being "too rigid" when the dust had settled, etc.

Also that I got the impression that it was Llambias who got a stonk-on for the financial hard-ball stuff as much as anything and that Ashley wouldn't have been involved directly in much that will have gone before (the day-to-day back and forth with other clubs, the Debuchy stuff, etc.)

Cannonball Joe might be a totally different proposition, if he's not here just to sabotage everything of course. We're going to have to sign a player or two to mount our attack on the CL places you know?

Perhaps losing heavily to Blackpool today will get this one over the line?  :lol:

Only if Big Mike is there in the flesh though. Has he been able to resist a go on the Big One?

Under previous regimes, i was happy for us to sign players no matter what/regardless of the cost. Now i feel like we should wait until January and get him cheaper, its like i have been brainwashed  :lol:

Under previous regimes, i was happy for us to sign players no matter what/regardless of the cost. Now i feel like we should wait until January and get him cheaper, its like i have been brainwashed  :lol:

If we don't but smartly then we know in the next window we will have nothing to spend, even if we really need it.

Ashley has made us all grow up financially when thinking about the club, it's one of the very little positives from his reign.

Guest Phil K

Not worth any further bid. They've wasted too much bloody time on this bloke (not his fault of course) already

As above says - it's going down the usual route with the same crap dished up when it's too late to sign anyone

8m euros was higher than I thought we'd go and a very good offer for a player who IMO is worth about 10-12m euros if he was on a lengthy contract.  So I think we'll wait it out now.  Lyon know they absolutely cant afford to let this drag on into January.  Because at that point this offer would be nothing but a fond memory, they'd be lucky to get 4m.  Also Gomis has shown that he's prepared to refuse transfers if its not the club he wants and he seems to want to come here.  This Aulas bloke's trying to be tough but everythings stacked against him and IMO as the the window drags on its very likely he'll be picking up the phone and asking if 8m is still on the table.

I definitely see us signing him eventually, whether it is now or in january. The only thing that would stop us, is if another team decide to go in for him. Our hard ball tactics for signing players are frustrating for us as fans, but probably are the best for the club in the long term.

Should just leave the offer on the table. It'll be like The Simpsons when Homer's trying to sell Burns the bear.

"I gotta call Burns! I gotta call Burns! Maybe I can still get that drink!"

He'll probably be thinking that they paid 13m Euro's 4 years ago and now he's a more consistent goal scorer.  That's true, but what's also true is they were paying for potential then and while he is better now he still never reached the potential people expected of him.  I think if it was August 25th or something this offer would have been accepted by now, but Aulas just thinks he has time to reject it and come back later if nothing better comes in.  We should just move on to someone else plus Remy though IMO.

One of the few times I'm not actually angry with the board for offering less than the "asking price" 7 million is a fair deal under the circumstances and if we do pull out I hope they live to regret not selling him for the offer price.

If we do move on though I hope there are other targets, because it really does just smack of "we just couldn't get it over the line"

Another long season with Shola beckons if we don't get something tied up soon.