The Euro 2008 thread: Spain are European champions

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else reckon Austria could put the Germans out in the next game?

Probably not, but its in their hands and being hosts they could create a cracking atmosphere while really having no pressure on them.

Would be funny.

and it finishes Howard Webb 1-1 Poland

It was a pelanty though

It was a pelanty, but a big call to make and maybe a bit harsh on the Poles.  :pow:

I think the poles paid the price for being too complacent. Austria did never look like they would score in a million years but Poland should have gone to finish them off. Its a cliche but they should have known that 1-0 is never enough.

Schweinsteiger's impressed me both times he's come on, think he'd do well in our 4-3-3.

Yeah, be overtaking Smith and Butt in no time. Twice a sub, 9 minutes into first game picked up a yellow, twenty something minutes into second game straight red.

Schweinsteiger's impressed me both times he's come on, think he'd do well in our 4-3-3.

Yeah, be overtaking Smith and Butt in no time. Twice a sub, 9 minutes into first game picked up a yellow, twenty something minutes into second game straight red.

The depressing thing is that he'd STILL walk straight into our midfield.

looked like a clean tackle from Modric.

A clean two footed tackle?

Didn't look two-footed to me. Won* the ball with his right leg, left leg was trailing behind.

Some very dodgy decisions by the referee at the end all in all.

Yeah, but these days it doesn't matter if you win the ball. The tackle looked dangerous, and he went in with 2 feet.

In my opinion it was a great challenge, but sadly these days you're not allowed to tackle people.

When you're coming in straight towards the ball you physically can't do anything other than go in studs up, toe first and any impact at all will break your foot. That ref was shit, proper tosser. I hope the bloke who reffed Italy/Holland gets more games, he got everything right (apart from the debatable goal obviously but that was the lino's fault) and let the game flow wherever he could. Shit game coming up, 1-1 I reckon.

:aww:

Two questions:

Why do the media keep referring to Germany as favourites for Euro 2008? And if it's just because of the bookies, why were they favourites at all?

Who gives a flying fuck that Rooney got married? I can understand it being all over shITV, but it being on the BBC is a disgraceful waste of license fee payers' money.

Why do the media keep referring to Germany as favourites for Euro 2008? And if it's just because of the bookies, why were they favourites at all?

In Germany they aren't the top-favourites anymore! (Since the defeat against Croatia)

For the german media Portugal, Spain or Netherlands or so are the new top-favourites.