Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Great feet, good technique, good passer - no engine. Delighted so far however as he cost very little and will be a player who can grow and develop especially with KK's tutelage. Very good debut.

Sorry what do you mean by no engine? He had to be very disciplined today due to the opposition. He didnt looked any more tired than anyone else come the end of the match either.

Great feet, good technique, good passer - no engine. Delighted so far however as he cost very little and will be a player who can grow and develop especially with KK's tutelage. Very good debut.

No engine? Can't judge that from one game mate.

I'm beginning to like this new rectruitment team more and more these days.

Cracking player. Must admit, when he first signed I thought "wtf?" but now, he looks so composed and so cool, and at OT!

Tbf I know what HTT means and I have mentioned before how he has dropped away as the game has gone on. Something that can be worked on though. Thought he did very well today. Maybe our scouts do know more than some of us ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

The key with Guthrie is to put in front of him and alongside him a player who has the legs, pace and drive etc. so he can sit and dictate play and generally keep us ticking over while always providing cover to the back-four. That player is not Butt.

Nor Barton or Geremi or any other combo in there such as Milner.

Don't want to be too much of a downer, especially on this early, challenging day, but I thought he was too indiscriminate with his passing. It often looked like he felt he had to have passed the ball within two seconds of receiving it. Didn't lose the ball too much (either through being tackled or making bad passes), but I would like to see him be more confident in possession - which will in turn allow him to be more frequently positive and incisive with his play.

Agreed, played well today but tired badly towards the end, didn't help we only only had Geremi and Enrique on the bench of note.

Him and Barton could be a very good partnership I reckon. Love the way he never panics and has that canny ability to wriggle away and make a yard for himself when under pressure. :smug:

That quality should never be under-rated as most good passing sides are built around it. He's still a work in progress, but a few of our midfielders could learn from him in this regard.

Was totally under-whelmed when we signed him.

First time I saw him today and I though he excellent.

His touch and passing were superb, hope he gets forward alot more against lesser opposition.

Could be a real steal.

Was totally under-whelmed when we signed him.

First time I saw him today and I though he excellent.

His touch and passing were superb, hope he gets forward alot more against lesser opposition.

Could be a real steal.

Agree, great performance. In Keegan we trust!

Guest nufc_geordie

Can tell he was schooled at Liverpool. Comfortable in possession, kept the ball moving about quickly. A tidy debut. Thought Butt did all of the donkey work but Guthrie hassled the Man Utd midfield a bit as well. The midfield actually appeared well balanced. I want to see how he cops next week against weaker opposition and if he will push on a bit and try and influence the game a bit more. If he can, Keegan has picked up a gem of a player.

Can tell he was schooled at Liverpool. Comfortable in possession, kept the ball moving about quickly. A tidy debut. Thought Butt did all of the donkey work but Guthrie hassled the Man Utd midfield a bit as well. The midfield actually appeared well balanced. I want to see how he cops next week against weaker opposition and if he will push on a bit and try and influence the game a bit more. If he can, Keegan has picked up a gem of a player.

Yeah agree with this, the midfield looked pretty solid yesterday, but just as importantly its how we fair against the lesser teams particularly at SJP when we need to break them down. Hopefully Jonas, Guthrie, Butt and Milner are good enough to do that.