Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Guest Heneage

He looks good bit poor technically but great effort and determination.

How does he look poor technically?

I mean technique wise just to clarify. I think its just his style, it looks very awkward, and as I said looks, so learn to read eh Valten.

I mean technique wise just to clarify. I think its just his style, it looks very awkward, and as I said looks, so learn to read eh Valten.

I think he's got excellent technique, the way he swerves away from a challenge is brilliant and he tried one pass yesterday with the outside of his boot which split the defence.  Owen and Martins will love working with this bloke and his workrate for a gifted player is also top class.

Guest Heneage

Just watching him dribble it doesnt look like he always has control under it,but as I always say im more than content to be proved or admit I was wrong.

I don't think he's technically brilliant but he does know how to keep a hold of the ball, which is important. As well as that he is very direct with his play, whether that be dribbling or passing. Rarely wasted time yesterday (straight onto the front foot), which is something we have been missing.

Another positive is his stature. He's a big lad with energy to burn.

Just watching him dribble it doesnt look like he always has control under it.

I agree, but I think that's the reason he wins so many freekicks, people think he hasn't got it fully under control but he has.

I agree, but I think that's the reason he wins so many freekicks, people think he hasn't got it fully under control but he has.

I've noticed that he positions his body as if he was going to go in one direction but goes the other and takes the ball with him almost every time, he makes the person trying to defend against him look daft.

" but great effort and determination.

How does he look poor technically?

Or you need to learn how to type out a sentence.

"He looks good bit poor technically"  :idiot2:

His dribbling technique isn't textbook, but what does it matter if he continues to beat his man like he has been doing.

The fact that he can run either side of a defender at pace scares them, and gives openings to others. Owen should be afforded more space in a 442 as a consequence.

I don't think he's technically brilliant but he does know how to keep a hold of the ball, which is important. As well as that he is very direct with his play, whether that be dribbling or passing. Rarely wasted time yesterday (straight onto the front foot), which is something we have been missing.

Another positive is his stature. He's a big lad with energy to burn.

I agree with that.  He strikes me as the sort of player who knows what he wants to do with the ball and thinks one step ahead.  Doesn't waste possession by running himself into impossible situations (like other midfielders in our team who shall remain nameless).  Owen needs a player like that to take advantage of the good positions and good runs he makes.  Once they get familiar, Owen & Jonas could be very dangerous. 

Yeah, I don't think he's as skillful as the likes of Ginola but he's so willing to run at people, always wants the ball and is always looking to take his man on. I think Keegan will love him and will get the best from him and he'll do well in the Premiership.

He looks good. Really direct, which is something we need. We fanny about with it too much in midfield imo. Jonas just wants to go forward all the time. Think he could be a good signing for us.

For me the only thing he needs to add to his game is a few goals, he doesn't seem to score a boatload going off his previous record. Other than that minor quibble, he looks the business. I can see him having a storming season.

So, looking at all the comments:

He's two footed

Hits a perfect cross every time

Good at beating his man

Can cut inside or stick outside

Hard working

Tracks back

Passes the ball around well

Very fast

Intelligent mover off the ball.

Anything he can't do?

He's two footed

Good at beating his man

Hard working

Tracks back

Very fast

Anything he can't do?

Find a barber shop?

Probably doesn't have a very good shot on him. Thought he had a poor goal record?

And the few shots I've seen from him haven't been much to shout about. Or maybe he's awesome at this too, who knows.

He's two footed

Good at beating his man

Hard working

Tracks back

Very fast

Anything he can't do?

The post above you mentions one, score.  I think he'll be a bit like Dyer in that respect, he'll not score loads but he'll make a lot for his team mates and his running will create space for others to run into.

He's got to do it in the Premiership though as Geremi looked really good last summer but seemed to leave his form behind him once the season kicked off.

He's two footed

Good at beating his man

Hard working

Tracks back

Very fast

Anything he can't do?

The post above you mentions one, score.  I think he'll be a bit like Dyer in that respect, he'll not score loads but he'll make a lot for his team mates and his running will create space for others to run into.

He's got to do it in the Premiership though as Geremi looked really good last summer but seemed to leave his form behind him once the season kicked off.

I'd agree, he's probably going to cause so many problems to opposition teams that even if he doesn't score many goals, he's going to make a hell of a lot. I think Keegan alluded to it as well.