Llambias: sale stories are all utter nonsense

Optimistic Nut

So it wasn't the cavalry that came over the hill to save us but a reclusive fat bloke on a donkey who keeps his money in his sock.

We're being streamlined into a more lean outfit with particular emphasis on youth for the academy. Cutting costs/wages is the order of the day. Get rid of the excess baggage. Keegan has been told of the club's new priorities as regards funds and potential purchases. No more blockbusters (Modric was a non starter due to the gulability and gluttony of his agent dazzled by big city lights) A larger than expected debt is paid off and other scores settled or dismissed. We are now freshly plucked as it were. So the next part of the game is afoot. A whisper here, a nudge and a wink there  - but not from NUFC obviously guv. Hope, expectation and trust are not easy bedfellows with cold hard finance.  Like everyone here I have no evidence one way of the other - just that feeling that something isn't quite right behind the scenes.

Everyone loves their toys on Christmas Day but come Boxing day they aren't as much fun anymore. The genie is out of the bottle and we are on the market - in stealth mode of course.

to carry on the analogy of christmas toys......when you are sick of them you try to get rid for a resonable price,you don't attempt to sell them for double the price.

American private equity firm InterMedia Partners was approached about a possible takeover of Newcastle United, according to a spokesman.

Reports on Friday claimed Newcastle had held informal discussions with American investors over the sale of the club.

It was suggested that owner Mike Ashley stated he would be willing to sell for a fee of £420million - around £286million more than he paid for the club last summer.

However, later on Friday, Newcastle rubbished reports of takeover talks and a £420million price-tag.

But a spokesman for InterMedia Partners has claimed that the New York-based company were contacted by an unnamed party with regards to a buyout, but had no interest in taking the matter any further.

"InterMedia was approached about a deal, made no offer and has no interest," a spokesman told the BBC.

i think it may have been better if ashley said "yes i would sell NUFC for £420mill"

in the same way that i don 't want to sell my house thats worth £155,000 but if someone were to offer £300,000 ?

Ashley, who is famed for wearing a replica Magpies shirt and sitting with the fans despite his vast wealth, says now is the time to take a more hands-on role at boardroom level.

"Now is the time to put away my Newcastle shirt," he said.

"I'm not saying I will never go back on the terraces, but now I have to be in the boardroom - I have to be hands on."

He said he is desperate to bring silverware to St James' Park, but more importantly he wants to see exciting football at Newcastle.

He said: "I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that will try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Manchester United."

Just gave me a bit of confidence reading that  :smitten:

Allardyce was given money to spend by Ashley, was he not?  So it's not like he's never thrown the odd coin or two around already.

Err, no he wasn´t, not really anyway.. He mainly had to fund his acquisitions by selling players.Net spend so far on the playing staff (transfer fees) over a one year period has been well under 10 million, which is quite low considering what clubs around us have spent..

fact

Ashley, who is famed for wearing a replica Magpies shirt and sitting with the fans despite his vast wealth, says now is the time to take a more hands-on role at boardroom level.

"Now is the time to put away my Newcastle shirt," he said.

"I'm not saying I will never go back on the terraces, but now I have to be in the boardroom - I have to be hands on."

He said he is desperate to bring silverware to St James' Park, but more importantly he wants to see exciting football at Newcastle.

He said: "I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that will try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Manchester United."

Just gave me a bit of confidence reading that  :smitten:

Is that from the infamous faked interview?

Don't tell me that not only have you stooped to the depths of forum insults by picking out spelling mistakes, but you've actually looked back pages to find one (or possibly another thread even).  You sad b****** you! :lol:

I don't have to look so far:

what's the matter son, too many long words for you?

People who wear glass dunce caps shouldn't throw stones you stupid c*** :D

If you can educate me as to my spelling mistake there (their? they're?), I'm all ears. Otherwise, f**k off.

Oh, and I didn't have to look back through your posts, the error caught my eye when I first read it. Of course, if your general patter hadn't been utter s****, I'd have let it go.  

He didn't mention your spelling; he may have meant the first letter in the sentence being lower case.   :dontknow:

I think you'll find he criticised me for "picking out spelling mistakes" and then said "I don't have to look so far:" QED.

What's it to you anyhow? Or is that another question you won't answer?

mackems.gif

i think it may have been better if ashley said "yes i would sell NUFC for £420mill"

in the same way that i don 't want to sell my house thats worth £155,000 but if someone were to offer £300,000 ?

from the sounds of the spokesman they were approached first, so maybe it's like this, you hear there is a rich bloke who really wants to live on your street, so you ring him up and offer your house for double its price, you don't really want to sell it or expect a deal, but if it comes off you pocket a huge amount of dosh.

at £420m it doesn't sound like ashley is desperate to get rid or is touting the club to all and sundry. it took the halls over a year to flog the club at less than a third of that price.

Guest battyleespeed

Okay, there is no plausible deniability in the rumors anymore as it is a clear case of decision from Ashley to "stop escalation of commitment" and make a profit while getting out of investment that has gone badly wrong. I bet he thought being a club owner would be a cool hobby and have fun doing it but he must be disappointment from the amount of hassle and negative publicity it has created for him. If I'd be betting man I'd bet he will be gone as soon as he finds a buyer that allows him to recoup his cash and bit more (making profit will save him from embarassment to a certain degree).

The drive to lower the operating costs might be related to make the club better suited for sale and if he is so seriously looking for a buyer I would not be surprised if he is only giving very small amount for transfer dealings - probably just enough to keep us somewhere in middle of the league.

As soon as KK walks all the hell breaks loose again.

the best yet from bbc gossip

A wealthy construction company run by the family of terrorist Osama bin Laden has emerged as a front-runner to buy Newcastle United. (Mail on Sunday)

Guest johnson293

A wealthy construction company run by the family of terrorist Osama bin Laden has emerged as a front-runner to buy Newcastle United. (Mail on Sunday)

My God!

Just when you think the gutter press can't come up with any more muck to sling at us, they go and pull another out of the bag.

That deserves to be in the 'Media Hate Us' thread!

to quote Chris Kamara....... "Unbelievable!"

Okay, there is no plausible deniability in the rumors anymore as it is a clear case of decision from Ashley to "stop escalation of commitment" and make a profit while getting out of investment that has gone badly wrong. I bet he thought being a club owner would be a cool hobby and have fun doing it but he must be disappointment from the amount of hassle and negative publicity it has created for him. If I'd be betting man I'd bet he will be gone as soon as he finds a buyer that allows him to recoup his cash and bit more (making profit will save him from embarassment to a certain degree).

The drive to lower the operating costs might be related to make the club better suited for sale and if he is so seriously looking for a buyer I would not be surprised if he is only giving very small amount for transfer dealings - probably just enough to keep us somewhere in middle of the league.

As soon as KK walks all the hell breaks loose again.

It's impossible to tell what's going on here, because what few quotes there are from either side come from that mysterious gentleman 'A. Spokesman' or his female counterpart, 'Ann Insider'. Perhaps there's no smoke without fire, but I can also remember Mort - who seemed a pretty straight kind of guy - hinting strongly that there was someone out there with a grudge against Ashley who was trying to stir things up. You can imagine for yourselves who that might be.

Looking at Ashley's actions, I can't say that he's done anything that isn't sensible and in the club's interests. Clearing the debt and then making sure that the club is run on business-like lines is far better than dipping into your pocket and hoping that a one-off heap of money on players is going to get you into the Champions League, when your money can supposedly be recouped. He has to look at long-term sustainability.

After reading that I expect some on here to take it all in and use it against the club.

Does anybody really believe what they read in the press anymore?  I know I don't, unless it's confirmed by quotes from the club.  At best this sort of story is based on hearsay, and at worst it's malicious gossip put about by people who hate our club, fed by clueless journos who have to fill column inches for a living.

I don't doubt Ashley would sell if the price was right - he's a businessman after all and all his assets will have their price.  Plus he has no emotional attachment to us.  However just because he would sell up for a huge profit, if the circumstances were right, doesn't make this story true.  I haven't read one single thing that takes the story beyond unfounded rumour - even the position of the unnamed party who supposedly approached these money men.  For all we know they could have been approached by someone trying to make a deal who has no affiliation at all to Ahsley - this sort of thing happens all the time in business, there's big money out there for brokering deals.

Allardyce was given money to spend by Ashley, was he not?  So it's not like he's never thrown the odd coin or two around already.

Err, no he wasn´t, not really anyway.. He mainly had to fund his acquisitions by selling players.Net spend so far on the playing staff (transfer fees) over a one year period has been well under 10 million, which is quite low considering what clubs around us have spent..

fact

Hardly.

If that's the case, it surely was a one-off, unless you're ready to tell su who we sold to finance the Modric bid, then?

I find all these questions regarding the financial situation of the club quite worrying because it seems that some people are unable to grasp why we are (were?) in this situation in the first place. Maybe if you give a nice go at answering why the club's wage bill is (and was) through the f'in roof, turnover is down, no European footie and that we had a bunch of mercenarian cocks playing for the team, then I'm sure people will start taking some of your answers a bit more seriously.

It's becoming very tedious that certain key facts are being ignored in these arguments (by both sides, I have to say), and then each and every thread is ruined.

I still cannot believe that a thread about an article by Shaun Cuntis reached 12 pages. Amazing.

I think that both the people who take these rumours as fact, and also the people who insist that Ashley couldn't possibly be in it for money are both as silly as each other.

Fact is we have seen no proof either way of his intentions yet and there is no point worrying about it as we have no control.

If he does end up just being in it to double his money then I think he's a total fucktard, not because he's in it for the money but because he got in the stands and pretended he cared about the club.

Also... the 'old board' stuff is so boring, can people please move on?

Can't find this on the Mail on Sunday website, anyone?

After reading that I expect some on here to take it all in and use it against the club.

How does the phrase go?  "no smoke without fire"?  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

How does the phrase go?  "no smoke without fire"?  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Thats some conflict of interest in the Bin Laden household. One puts up buildings, the other brings them down

Bit ironic coming from you, NE5.

what's your point ?

Just saying I've asked you questions that you didn't bother answering in the past and I know plenty of others have to.

fact

Maths not your strong point, eh?