Ipswich confirm interest in Ameobi loan deal

Baggio

Guest guinness_fiend

Town are closing in on signing Shola Ameobi from Newcastle with a fee agreed between the clubs, and the player at Portman Road for a medical.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10538/hammer01~0.gif

Good local lad, scored some cracking goals against some damn good opposition but just not frequent enough to warrent a starting place.

Simply not good enough for the premier league and never fulfilled his full potential.  At 26 he's at peak age.

Good luck to him.  £2.5m is a bloody steal mind! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/7569658.stm

Ipswich are poised to sign striker Shola Ameobi from Newcastle after the two clubs agreed a fee.

The 26-year-old, who has also been linked to Norwich, is down the pecking order at St James' Park and had a spell on loan at Stoke last season.

Town manager Jim Magilton told the club website: "We have agreed a fee with Newcastle for Shola and he spent time at the club having a medical.

"Things are moving on. Hopefully we can get it all tied up."

Ameobi worked his way up from the youth team ranks with the Magpies.

However, his first-team opportunities have been limited recently, with Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith the preferred choices up front.

mackems.gif

Finally the day might come when Newcastle are without both Bramble and Ameobi! Only Smith remains and I might just give him a chance if Keegan believes in him.

Finally the day might come when Newcastle are without both Bramble and Ameobi! Only Smith remains and I might just give him a chance if Keegan believes in him.

Been thinking that recently myself actually. In Keegan I trust, and if Keegan trusts there's some ability in Smith that he can unlock, even if it's deep down inside him, I'm leaning towards giving Smith a second chance, viewing him as "new" this season and ruling out how completely utterly fucking shite he was last season.

This of course will only last 'til he puts his legs on the field again and leaves without scoring. That's all the little fucker gets as a second chance from me.

Been thinking that recently myself actually. In Keegan I trust, and if Keegan trusts there's some ability in Smith that he can unlock, even if it's deep down inside him, I'm leaning towards giving Smith a second chance, viewing him as "new" this season and ruling out how completely utterly f***ing s**** he was last season.

This of course will only last 'til he puts his legs on the field again and leaves without scoring. That's all the little fucker gets as a second chance from me.

I'll be looking most forward to seeing a really fit Viduka, if Duff is anything to go by.

A really fit Viduka imo is on par with Berbatov if not better.

IF the move goes through (Let's not get the flags out yet lads!) then I wish him all the best. Never had any dislike of him, he's always tried his best but it's been painfully obvious for the past 3-4 years that he's simply not good enough.

He's got some talent, of that there's no doubt, but on a consistent basis he's failed to produce for a long time now. I do think he'll do well in the Championship though and could well bang a few goals in and cause some problems for defenders.

Ameobi is basically an average, Championship striker - no better than that.

He was given a ridiculous amount of chances by every manager since SBR, and has rarely, if ever, looked Prem material....Slow, ponderous and over-rated by both his managers and himself.

Can only remember 2 games where he looked a decent prospect - Barca away, and S/Land at SJP...

Has looked poor for most of the rest and 2.5m is about right these days.

Hopefully, a decent replacement is lined up - a player like Ashton would be my choice, fairly physical and able to play Viduka's role when he is injured(and for the future).

Saviola is a good player, but too much like Owen or Martins - not as efficient a striker as Owen either.

Nevertheless, many times the player that Ameobi was.....

Hopefully, a decent replacement is lined up - a player like Ashton would be my choice, fairly physical and able to play Viduka's role when he is injured(and for the future).

I read that as Ashton, when he is injured, can play Viduka's role (ie to be injured) :D

Take your point though, Ashton is a quality player and I'd love to see him here with Owen and Martins, I think he'd be terrific. If we could keep him fit.