Danny Guthrie breaks Craig Fagan's leg

Guest BooBoo

If you go out of your way to wind people up and act the twat, they'll eventually snap and lash out at you.  It's the reaction you've been looking to provoke.  I'm not wishing leg breaks on anyone, but if that's the way you play the game, you run the risk.

Having said all that, Guthrie was daft to do it, and it's a shame that someone has a broken leg because of it.  But the "I hope he gets banned for a season" stuff is utter bollocks.

Pretty Much In A Nutshell.

Guthrie could face further action: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7619485.stm

Guthrie could face further action

Guthrie has said the challenge was "completely out of character"

Players' union boss Gordon Taylor has warned Danny Guthrie he could face extra punishment for the challenge that broke the leg of Hull's Craig Fagan.

The 22-year-old Newcastle midfielder faces a three-match ban after seeing red in Saturday's home defeat.

The Football Association can increase a ban for violent play and Taylor said: "What he did was not acceptable.

"I think it's entirely possible (the FA) will come up with a charge of bringing the game into disrepute."

Fagan was running down the clock as Hull closed out a 2-1 victory at St James' Park when the former Liverpool player ran several yards to scythe him down by the touchline.

It was a difficult afternoon for Newcastle as supporters protested against the club's owners before, during and after the game, but the Professional Footballers Association chief executive added that was no excuse for Guthrie's actions.

"We've all seen what happened and you can't condone it," said Taylor.

"I accept that it is a high-profile, highly-emotional game and that there are clearly some things going on at Newcastle which probably have an effect on a lot of people.

"But the image of the game has got to be considered. We know what it means to so many people and how it can be so influential on youngsters watching it on television."

Hull manager Phil Brown has called on the FA to take further action against Guthrie, after saying an automatic three-match ban is "insufficient punishment".

Guthrie has since apologised for the challenge, that leaves Fagan facing at least six weeks on the sidelines, and said he is not a dirty player, a sentiment echoed by Taylor.

"I'm sure this is completely out of character for Danny Guthrie," he added.

"He's done a positive thing now and apologised for his actions and maybe that will help him.

"But clubs should also play a part in disciplining their players in these matters and the FA could take note of that as well as a proper feeling of remorse.

"But, especially in the current climate with the new Respect programme which everybody has said they will back, steps have still got to be taken when things go wrong."

Who do you reckon you could get better odds on playing for Newcastle again first?  Guthrie or Barton?

It just seems to me that certain people are suddenly dying for him to serve a long ban purely because it's turned out that he did more damage than they initially thought. This means he's going to be punished not for the tackle, but for how much damage he did with it. Which makes no sense whatsoever to me. The tackle was the tackle was the tackle. It's worth a 3 match ban. It was on Saturday afternoon and it hasn't changed as a result of a scan.

And rightly so. Of course the damage players/people inflict on others in a deliberate action needs to be taken into consideration. It is how I see life, it is how I see football.

It just seems to me that certain people are suddenly dying for him to serve a long ban purely because it's turned out that he did more damage than they initially thought. This means he's going to be punished not for the tackle, but for how much damage he did with it. Which makes no sense whatsoever to me. The tackle was the tackle was the tackle. It's worth a 3 match ban. It was on Saturday afternoon and it hasn't changed as a result of a scan.

And rightly so. Of course the damage players/people inflict on others in a deliberate action needs to be taken into consideration. It is how I see life, it is how I see football.

I don't agree with setting the punishment in line with the damage it does to the player. I'm not talking about crimes or other aspects of life. Just tackles in football.

He's going to get a 3 match ban and, imo, anything more than that would be harsh. You obviously don't agree and that's fine. :)

I don't agree with setting the punishment in line with the damage it does to the player. I'm not talking about crimes or other aspects of life. Just tackles in football.

He's going to get a 3 match ban and, imo, anything more than that would be harsh. You obviously don't agree and that's fine. :)

What a pleasant reply :thup:

Guest craigfaganFTM

Anyone would think that football isn't a contact sport. Hysterical overreactions going on about this, really. We're hardly talking about a David Busst scenario are we?

I'm sorry but that's a pile of steaming s***, Guthrie's intentions were to hurt the guy that's got bugger all to do with this contact sport BS you spouted. I honestly think he deserves a very long suspension for this one.

Good luck trying to prove that.  :thup:

Dear me!!

i was only here to read but ha'way man, he kicked him twice :D

Do you ever get the feeling that its cos its us, and if say Terry had done it little would be said. I dont ever rememeber this much hoo hah surrounding Keane on Haaland.

Guest optimistic nit

Anyone would think that football isn't a contact sport. Hysterical overreactions going on about this, really. We're hardly talking about a David Busst scenario are we?

I'm sorry but that's a pile of steaming shit, Guthrie's intentions were to hurt the guy that's got bugger all to do with this contact sport BS you spouted. I honestly think he deserves a very long suspension for this one.

Dear me!!

come on man.

Do you ever get the feeling that its cos its us, and if say Terry had done it little would be said. I dont ever rememeber this much hoo hah surrounding Keane on Haaland.

Keane got a 4 game ban for that, Guthrie should get the same. I find the hoorah over this tackle a bit silly, he didn't launch himself at him with his studs up, he just booted him, something we ALL did once or twice when we were young and someone pissed us off on the pitch. Those tackles don't usually result in proper injuries.

Keane got a 4 game ban for that, Guthrie should get the same. I find the hoorah over this tackle a bit silly, he didn't launch himself at him with his studs up, he just booted him, something we ALL did once or twice when we were young and someone pissed us off on the pitch. Those tackles don't usually result in proper injuries.

It looked like he booted him pretty hard and with some force to me. Of course Fagan (the absolute cunt) might just have suffered a fracture by coincidence, and he did deserve it I'm sure. The ref probably wrote that in his report.

It looked like he booted him pretty hard and with some force to me. Of course Fagan (the absolute cunt) might just have suffered a fracture by coincidence, and he did deserve it I'm sure. The ref probably wrote that in his report.

:lol: ? "The rules of the game stated that I had to book Mr. Guthrie but I ask for leniency to be given in light of the fact Craig Fagan is a class-A cunt."

The way I see it is regardless of the injury the player has got, Guthrie should be further reprimanded. Not extensively, but something to say that this was something that was not just out of order, but completely unacceptable.

Whilst it was of course emotion getting the better of him, he needs to take his medicine and learn from this, he's still young.

With regards to relating this to the Keane tackle, I'd say that anyone with a brain cell will surely lose respect (I lost pretty much all respect) for him due to what he did.

i say 3 match ban.   if there's more to be done to punish guthrie then fine him personally.  the club shouldn't lose a player for a month due to a moment of madness. 

Bollocks, Cantona had a moment of madness, Barton had a moment of madness, both deserved their bans. Not claiming Guthrie's moment of madness was on the same level as theirs but it made me ashamed to see a player playing in Black and White do something like that, deserves the book being thrown at him tbh.

nah, fine him a million pounds or summat, but let him play after the standard 3 match ban.  the ban takes care of the challenge, the fine takes care of the "damage" done.

I'm sorry but that's a pile of steaming shit, Guthrie's intentions were to hurt the guy that's got bugger all to do with this contact sport BS you spouted. I honestly think he deserves a very long suspension for this one.

Dear me!!

come on man.

Just re-read it and it doesn't make clear what I meant.  :thup:

I was just passing comment that it would be virtually impossible to prove he meant to hurt Fagan to the extent he actually did. How on earth would you go about proving Guthrie set out to break his leg?

Dear me!!

come on man.

Just re-read it and it doesn't make clear what I meant.  :thup:

I was just passing comment that it would be virtually impossible to prove he meant to hurt Fagan to the extent he actually did. How on earth would you go about proving Guthrie set out to break his leg?

Well for a start he didn't.