Newcastle 2 - 2 Manchester City - 20/10/08 - post match reaction from page 18

Decky

Full time.

Positives can be taken from this.

honestly.

Huh? Do you disagree?

No mate . just can't believe some one used that word on this forum. I thought that was a f***ing brilliant performance. Especially the much maligned Duff

Duff also did his bit organizing the team. He and Geremi were well on top of things in our box shouting and getting players to mark up. top marks to Joe for stirring them up and getting inside their heads.

aye thats a good point. Duff on the left and Geremi on the right really put in a fantastic shift tonight. I would have Geremi at right back when Beye is out.

finally the decision to sit back and let a team attack us for over 10 minutes that cost us 3 points. 

We had no one to keep the ball up front.

Carroll can trap the ball further than I can kick it.

I thought Xisco should have come on instead. Works harder and has more pace.

Completely and utterly pissed off.  A ludicrous penalty, a equally ludicrous red card, the quite sickening defence of the decision from some quarters and finally the decision to sit back and let a team attack us for over 10 minutes that cost us 3 points.  Combined its turned what should have been a good night into me punching several doors.

Yeah we should have attacked the shit out of them like.

i dont think it was JK's intention to stop pressing them, Carroll's job was clearly to keep the ball and fight for it in the air, just backfired cos Carroll was dogshit. whereas martins and ameobi were closing down, passing it well, holding the ball and launching into challenges carroll was strolling around yards off the pace. when ireland scored he was just jogging around while city virtually walked unchallenged up the pitch.

Guest LucaAltieri

finally the decision to sit back and let a team attack us for over 10 minutes that cost us 3 points. 

I thought Xisco should have come on instead. Works harder and has more pace.

...and a better touch... and has scored more goals than Carroll...

I'm not particularly a fan of Burley, but good on him for speaking his mind.

The whole officiating today was fucking diabolical. How the fuck a linesman for a televised premier league standard football match can fail to see a foul from two yards away is just beyond me.

Referee's should have a standard of fitness to be a pre-requisite of the job because he was miles away from the play.

Funny to see both football men in the Setanta studio now are disagreeing with Poll and his referee friends.

I notice as well Shay refused to pick the ball up out of fear of it being deemed a backpass. Tells its own story.

Caroll was lazy as fuck when he came on.

Brilliant effort from everyone (bar Caroll) to be fair, its a hell of an ask to have 10 men hold off a team like Man City for 80 mins. Gutted we didnt win.

Completely and utterly pissed off.  A ludicrous penalty, a equally ludicrous red card, the quite sickening defence of the decision from some quarters and finally the decision to sit back and let a team attack us for over 10 minutes that cost us 3 points.  Combined its turned what should have been a good night into me punching several doors.

Oh sorry did I just wake up in an alternate universe where there are only two options in Football?  Either all out attack or everyone behind the ball, think before you open your trap..  We should have kept tight but at least got a player or two up to support the front man.  There is absolutely nothing to be gained from sitting every player in our own half and just waiting for the opposition to attack!  The equaliser is almost always inevitable.

Guest Chris P

With fucking ten men. are you off your tits.

Oh sorry did I just wake up in an alternate universe where there are only two options in Football?  Either all out attack or everyone behind the ball, think before you open your trap..  We should have kept tight but at least got a player or two up to support the front man.  There is absolutely nothing to be gained from sitting every player in our own half and just waiting for the opposition to attack!  The equaliser is almost always inevitable.

Go off and hit some more doors you tit.

:lol:

It didn't help also when we had Given still booting the ball up the field, only to be defending it again within a few minutes.

i dont think it was JK's intention to stop pressing them, Carroll's job was clearly to keep the ball and fight for it in the air, just backfired cos Carroll was dogshit. whereas martins and ameobi were closing down, passing it well, holding the ball and launching into challenges carroll was strolling around yards off the pace. when ireland scored he was just jogging around while city virtually walked unchallenged up the pitch.

Common, I don't like Carroll as a player but you can hardly blame him here.  Every single time the vall went to him there wasn't a single Newcastle player even in Man City's half!

Why on earth did Caroll come on instead of Xisco? Couldn't hear the commentry over the City mongs in the pub. Disappointing in the end, really thought we were going to hang on, still a point is a good result. Fucking Styles, honestly, get him fucked off to the championship asap. Oh and Graham Poll is a fucking wanker.

Shola did a great job of keeping us in the game, and should now get a decent run in the side. Well done to Joe for believing in him and bigging him up beforehand.

I'm disappointed that we didn't win, but we just ran out of steam in the end. Man City made the fatal error of dropping the pace of the game, and then when they needed to raise it again, they found it very difficult.

Common, I don't like Carroll as a player but you can hardly blame him here.  Every single time the vall went to him there wasn't a single Newcastle player even in Man City's half!

N'Zogbia and Duff were usually around him when he went for the ball

and they did a shitload more closing down and harrassing players, or keeping possession (well duff anyway zoggy was a bit hit and miss)

Yeah we should have attacked the s*** out of them like.

To be fair, i think the instructions from the bench were quite clear in that it was more important we didn't get beat than to go for it (as much as I wanted us to). i know exactly what you're saying, but we can still build on 2 games unbeaten, and hopefully string together a few results. It's early days and every point counts.

Shola did a great job of keeping us in the game, and should now get a decent run in the side. Well done to Joe for believing in him and bigging him up beforehand.

I'm disappointed that we didn't win, but we just ran out of steam in the end. Man City made the fatal error of dropping the pace of the game, and then when they needed to raise it again, they found it very difficult.

I know you don't like Owen but putting Shola above him (or Martins, if you mean that) is fucking hilarious. :lol: