Newcastle 2 - 2 Manchester City - 20/10/08 - post match reaction from page 18

Decky

First time in a while that i've been able to finish watching one of our matches and say "i'm proud of the lads". Truly dedicated team performance that, really chuffed with the team tbh. It's a bit saddening that we couldn't hang onto the three points but an equaliser from City was inevitable really imo. We were bound to be fucked.

Special mentions to:

Coloccini - thought he was genuinely outstanding this evening. Won absolutely everything. First time he's looked like a £10m CB tonight, for me. Very encouraging, i thought he was garbage when we first fell into the myre but he's picked up and, well, i just like this guy a lot tbh.

Taylor - see Coloccini really, just a really good performance at CB. Everton game seems to have picked him up a bit.

Duff - good performance tonight, really refreshing change to see him actually beating players and supplying passes. Was pretty surprised tbh!

Shola - fucking Gold moment was seeing that ball go in. I've watched the last few Toon games with my neutral mates and he's always been a figure of comedy, for obvious reasons. Class when he scored. :lol:  Still got a fifty-pence head, though.

Habib Beye - superb tackle. :thup:

Robinho/Jo - £50m+? Pfft...

Given - 7. Class keeping tonight.

Beye - .

Coloccini - 8. Brilliant.

Taylor - 8 Brilliant.

Bassong - 6. Shaky imo.

Geremi - 7. Really helped us tonight.

Butt - 7. Great work ethic and looked capable of playing football, too.

Guthrie - 6. Steady.

Duff - 7. Dangerous.

Martins - 7. Busy; game changed completely when he went off. Chuffed he's back.

Shola - 7. Get in there, son.

N'Zogbia - Shrug

Carroll - Shit

Completely and utterly pissed off.  A ludicrous penalty, a equally ludicrous red card, the quite sickening defence of the decision from some quarters and finally the decision to sit back and let a team attack us for over 10 minutes that cost us 3 points.  Combined its turned what should have been a good night into me punching several doors.

Yeah we should have attacked the shit out of them like.

Oh sorry did I just wake up in an alternate universe where there are only two options in Football?  Either all out attack or everyone behind the ball, think before you open your trap..  We should have kept tight but at least got a player or two up to support the front man.  There is absolutely nothing to be gained from sitting every player in our own half and just waiting for the opposition to attack!  The equaliser is almost always inevitable.

Go off and hit some more doors you tit.

Translation "Yeah ok you're right, I've got no argument, but don't want to admit it".

Shola did a great job of keeping us in the game, and should now get a decent run in the side. Well done to Joe for believing in him and bigging him up beforehand.

I'm disappointed that we didn't win, but we just ran out of steam in the end. Man City made the fatal error of dropping the pace of the game, and then when they needed to raise it again, they found it very difficult.

Should he fuck, Owen and Martins are both far superior strikers, both should be starting when fit, which they both should be on Saturday or Tuesday.

couple of points.

Overall good performance by the team.

Shola - Well done!!

JFK - I warming to him.

Graham Poll on Setanta Sports - you are a fucking prick.

We only got one you tit.

O0

Agreed.

Just got in, great effort from the 10 men. Knew it wasn't a pen from the east stand just by Shay's reaction alone. I have no idea how the ball ended up at Shola's feet and I was sat in the front row of the East stand in line with him, lucky finish aswell. Duff played the best I've seen him in a long time, actually beat some players and put in some decent crosses. Also, one thing that was very evident was the team spirit. When Shola scored Colo ran the length of the field to join in, lots of hugs and high fives throughout (bar Guthrie and Colo having a brief argument) and it's clear to see Kinnear has given them a "Backs to the wall" mentality. Wish we could have held on but a point will do given the circumstances.

Its a shame we don't get more ref's dying in horrible accidents.

I'm all for it myself.

Lol I think they should face some kind of public reprehension for continous poor performance or deliberately trying to cause controversy in matches. Would probably stop a lot of the aggro towards them if people could see them being justly punished.

Completely and utterly pissed off.  A ludicrous penalty, a equally ludicrous red card, the quite sickening defence of the decision from some quarters and finally the decision to sit back and let a team attack us for over 10 minutes that cost us 3 points.  Combined its turned what should have been a good night into me punching several doors.

Oh sorry did I just wake up in an alternate universe where there are only two options in Football?  Either all out attack or everyone behind the ball, think before you open your trap..  We should have kept tight but at least got a player or two up to support the front man.  There is absolutely nothing to be gained from sitting every player in our own half and just waiting for the opposition to attack!  The equaliser is almost always inevitable.

Translation "Yeah ok you're right, I've got no argument, but don't want to admit it".

Yeah ok you're right, I've got no argument, but don't want to admit it, I also don't hit doors when we get a good result, ooogga boooga, man make fire, man hit buffalo, you like woman, me bang woman on head, me rape woman mouth.

Yeah we should have attacked the s*** out of them like.

Yeah ok you're right, I've got no argument, but don't want to admit it, I also don't hit doors when we get a good result, ooogga boooga, man make fire, man hit buffalo, you like woman, me bang woman on head, me rape woman mouth.

kowabunga

Shola did a great job of keeping us in the game, and should now get a decent run in the side. Well done to Joe for believing in him and bigging him up beforehand.

I'm disappointed that we didn't win, but we just ran out of steam in the end. Man City made the fatal error of dropping the pace of the game, and then when they needed to raise it again, they found it very difficult.

I know you don't like Owen but putting Shola above him (or Martins, if you mean that) is fucking hilarious. :lol:

maybe we could give the 4-3-3 with Shola in Viduka's role a go?

Great result. Players showed incredible determination, working hard for 70 odd minutes with 10 men.

Duff was probably up there with Shola as our best player, both had brilliant games, Duff was looking more positive going forward than he ever  has for us, and Ameobi kept the ball well, took his goal well, and showed good ability.

The whole defence were great, Bassong was caught out once or twice but recovered well, putting in some good tackles. Talyor was everything he should be week in week out, passionate, powerful and hardworking. Colo showed a lot of class at times, maybe was a little flat footed for the second city goal, but to be honest I can sympathise with Man City having so many players to pick up in our attacking third.

Geremi's set pieces were far better today, and another assist, good on him. Guthrie and Butt did exactly what was required of them, broke up the play despite being outnumbered in midfield, pressed constantly and worked hard.

Oba was good, some good play. With 11 men, or a bit of vision from Duff, he would have got a deserved goal.

For the first time in a while I really can't fault anyone (apart from the ref). Beye was very unlucky, for what appeared to be a good tackle. How anyone can criticize the team after battling with 10 men, and coming out with a draw I don't know. A lot of positives to take from this, and with Jonas coming back we should be able to build on this impressive performance. Delighted with the teams motivation, and their reaction to losing Beye. Fantastic lads, well played.

Should he fuck, Owen and Martins are both far superior strikers, both should be starting when fit, which they both should be on Saturday or Tuesday.

Regardless of that, JK likes to have a target man, and at the moment, Shola is the best we've got.

Yeah we should have attacked the s*** out of them like.

To be fair, i think the instructions from the bench were quite clear in that it was more important we didn't get beat than to go for it (as much as I wanted us to). i know exactly what you're saying, but we can still build on 2 games unbeaten, and hopefully string together a few results. It's early days and every point counts.

I don't expect us to go for it, there was no need to.  But there's many levels between going for it and effectively saying "there's the ball Man City, see if you can get through us".  If you do that for 10 minutes against any team with any kind of creativity you're going to give them chances to miss, and they took one of those inevitable chances.  Don't get me wrong, it was a good result, but an accumulation of the penalty that shouldn't have been, the red card and then that late and oh so unnecessary goal just made me angry.

Your internet hardman persona is getting proper boring, Teasy. Every post of yours i read it's in the extreme, zomg i am so angry!!1/1 Get a grip man. It was a good result and a fantastic team effort. They have fast, attacking players that pushed our ten men back. Can't you understand that? We did that for fucks sake with ONE man when he was on the ball (that's Oba, btw), never mind three or four of them. Jesus wept.

Your internet hardman persona is getting proper boring, Teasy. Every post of yours i read it's in the extreme, zomg i am so angry!!1/1 Get a grip man. It was a good result and a fantastic team effort. They have fast, attacking players that pushed our ten men back. Can't you understand that? We did that for fucks sake with ONE man when he was on the ball (that's Oba, btw), never mind three or four of them. Jesus wept.

On spot, or something like that.

Ameobi's goal was brilliant.

Yes he mishit it, but the goal was all about the little touch with his chest to get it away from the last defender. Sensational composure and he deserved the goal for that alone.

What, so composed he completely mis-hit the ball 90 degrees away from where he was aiming for?

I know you don't like Owen but putting Shola above him (or Martins, if you mean that) is fucking hilarious. :lol:

maybe we could give the 4-3-3 with Shola in Viduka's role a go?

Maybe. Depends if Kinnear sees Owen in that 'hole' position, or simply as a striker.

Yes he mishit it, but the goal was all about the little touch with his chest to get it away from the last defender. Sensational composure and he deserved the goal for that alone.

What, so composed he completely mis-hit the ball 90 degrees away from where he was aiming for?

He did it to fool the keeper. Absolute genius.

To bring the ball down and be able to get a shot off showed composure, especially after the 5th deflection before it fell to him.