Newcastle 2 - 2 Manchester City - 20/10/08 - post match reaction from page 18

Decky

Never a pen.

Decent performance tonight! Carroll was appalling when he came on though, thought Xisco should have come on instead (or Ranger if he was there  :rolleyes: )

i agree re carroll. xisco will run and chase and harry. carroll can win the odd flick on for no-one. the fowards substitution was should have been as with a mind on the defensive aswell

The game was turned on its head by the penalty, which was undeserved ; the sending-off effectively ruled out any chance of the side winning on merit. Credit(for once)to Ameobi for sticking with it and getting his reward by capitalising on defensive errors, and to the side in general for showing great attitude and fight in difficult circumstances.

They got lucky with Dunne's OG, but I blamed Guthrie for trying to keep the ball whilst still in his own half - this directly lead to the loss of possession which enabled City to build the attack from which they scored the equaliser.

A decent result in the circumstances, but one that keeps the pressure well & truly on because I will be surprised if the side gets anything at the Stadium of S---e...this is Sunderland's best chance to beat us at their place for years, and I think they will do it, probably by 2 goals ; Cisse will be the difference because his pace will really trouble Taylor & Coloccini. They are a better all-round side than us, even if they haven't got as many class players...but then, Hull also fall into that category at the moment.

Only Spurs' appalling form is keeping us off the bottom, and they have the players to improve dramatically.

One fluked goal because the ball pinged around the penalty area and landed in front of Ameobi and all of a sudden he's redeemed himself.

He's still hopeless 98% of the time and should be nowhere near a starting place, or even the bench for that matter. :(

Was wondering before the game kicked off how the crowd would behave. Can honestly say that I never heard any mention whatsoever of 'Ashley', 'cockneys' or 'Keegan' for the entire 90 mins.  ???

No protests, no chants, no leaflets, no banners, no distractions - just 100% support for the team.

The game was turned on its head by the penalty, which was undeserved ; the sending-off effectively ruled out any chance of the side winning on merit. Credit(for once)to Ameobi for sticking with it and getting his reward by capitalising on defensive errors, and to the side in general for showing great attitude and fight in difficult circumstances.

They got lucky with Dunne's OG, but I blamed Guthrie for trying to keep the ball whilst still in his own half - this directly lead to the loss of possession which enabled City to build the attack from which they scored the equaliser.

A decent result in the circumstances, but one that keeps the pressure well & truly on because I will be surprised if the side gets anything at the Stadium of S---e...this is Sunderland's best chance to beat us at their place for years, and I think they will do it, probably by 2 goals ; Cisse will be the difference because his pace will really trouble Taylor & Coloccini. They are a better all-round side than us, even if they haven't got as many class players...but then, Hull also fall into that category at the moment.

Only Spurs' appalling form is keeping us off the bottom, and they have the players to improve dramatically.

it would have been great though if one of his team mates e.g N'Zogbia made space for him to pass to rather than stand by just watching him get surrounded by 3 players

Guest LucasUnger

Was wondering before the game kicked off how the crowd would behave. Can honestly say that I never heard any mention whatsoever of 'Ashley', 'cockneys' or 'Keegan' for the entire 90 mins.  ???

No protests, no chants, no leaflets, no banners, no distractions - just 100% support for the team.

yep. excellent

One fluked goal because the ball pinged around the penalty area and landed in front of Ameobi and all of a sudden he's redeemed himself.

He's still hopeless 98% of the time and should be nowhere near a starting place, or even the bench for that matter. :(

w0Rd!

Jeez, bit of a negative view on the whole thing don't you think? Aye, we've been rubbish and need to pick up points. But performances are improving and players are returning from injury - the only way is up!

:indi:

w0Rd!

That's not the point, he did the job he was asked.  He was our targetman, he enabled the midfield to join in with attacks by holding the ball up.  He looked physically stronger than I think I've seen him, he actually ran and allround had  a good game.

Well done Shola.

I'd like to point out one thing, and I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread but....

Full credit to JFK and Chris Hughton for keeping the team the way it was after Beye had received his marching orders. He could have taken a striker off and added to the defence, but I was delighted to see him order a change in shape and tactics, and keep Martins and Ameobi on, which ultimately paid off. Had he taken one of them off, City would have cruised it.

w0Rd!

can't believe this s***! No one's saying he redeemed himself. No one's saying he's now world class!!! Of course, he still has a long way to go if he's ever to convince anyone that he can hack it at this level consistently. But what he did last night was score a goal that raised the roof around the park. He delivered on that one occasion when Newcastle, team and fans felt hard done by a pathetic refereeing decision, and it gave us hope and momentum in the game. are you telling me you didn't celebrate the goal because it pinged around the box and he fluffed his shot?

w0Rd!

can't believe this s***! No one's saying he redeemed himself. No one's saying he's now world class!!! Of course, he still has a long way to go if he's ever to convince anyone that he can hack it at this level consistently. But what he did last night was score a goal that raised the roof around the park. He delivered on that one occasion when Newcastle, team and fans felt hard done by a pathetic refereeing decision, and it gave us hope and momentum in the game. are you telling me you didn't celebrate the goal because it pinged around the box and he fluffed his shot?

He did more than just score a goal as well. He gave Dunne and Ben Haim a pretty hard time all night, used the ball well and linked up with Martins and Duff to reasonable effect. I am quite optimistic Martins and Ameobi will worry the Scum on Saturday. Worry them then destroy  :pow:

I'd like to point out one thing, and I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread but....

Full credit to JFK and Chris Hughton for keeping the team the way it was after Beye had received his marching orders. He could have taken a striker off and added to the defence, but I was delighted to see him order a change in shape and tactics, and keep Martins and Ameobi on, which ultimately paid off. Had he taken one of them off, City would have cruised it.

Geremi is as much a defender as he is a midfielder tbh, so moving him down to RB and Martins to LW is pretty much the same as substituting a forward for a defender.

Great entertainment, great atmosphere, shocking refereeing.

Given 8  Made a couple of world class saves

Beye-7 Did nothing wrong the time he was on the pitch

Taylor- 7 Worked very hard and put himself between the ball evertime

Coloccini- 9 Colo-seus

Bassong- 6 Not bad, dealt with the threat with SWP mainly

Geremi- 7 Put in a shift for the cause, got his legs up and down the pitch

Butt- 7 Great energy and showed leadership, some shocking passes as usual

Guthrie- 7 Rarely gave the ball away

Duff- 7 His best game in a toon shirt by along way, keep it up

Martins- 8 Threatened throughout, Citeh were shit scared of him

Ameobi- 8 I have never seen him play like that and got his goal. Still not convinced mind.

Geremi is as much a defender as he is a midfielder tbh, so moving him down to RB and Martins to LW is pretty much the same as substituting a forward for a defender.

in terms of positioning of course. But Martins is still a lethal finisher, and Geremi is still an expert at supplying dangerous balls into the box. One of the two qualities may have gone had a defender come on. The point is he kept the personnel, even if he changed the shape and formation.

Felt so good for most of the match. The way the time was ticking on I thought we would sneak the win but never mind cant complain with a draw when we were a goal down 10 men.

Given 8  Showed his worth again to the team. Glad he is finally back to his best. Not many other keepers in the prem would have saved that shot.

Beye-4 Unlucky to be sent off but maybe shouldnt have been so rash in going in for the tackle.

Taylor- 6 Didnt seem to do as much as Colo but harried and pressed wherever possible.

Coloccini- 8 Best performance so far for us. Showed he is strong and dominant and wont be beaten by pace

Bassong- 5 Looked shaky at times but Still would much rather have him there than Nzog or Enrique and is defo one for future.

Geremi- 7 Showed why he is No.1 assister with his wicked balls in and didnt shirk responsibility at right back.

Butt- 7 Cut out some clear cut chances for them. May be past it but seemed to find his extra gear today

Guthrie- 7 Scott parker the second with a bit more guile and can pick out a pass now and again. Seems right selling emre now we have someone fit in centre mid who doesnt wimp out of tackles.

Duff- 8 Looked to have his pace back at times, definately the best ive seen him play for us and could have got a goal.

Martins- 6 Still looks hit and miss but his pace helped us today.

Ameobi- 8 Reminded me of the Ameobi who showed up once in a while against the Arsenal, good performance but lets hope he can build on it.

fuck me!!! that save he made from Ireland's volley was a thing of absolute beauty!!! that save should be used as an example when training young keepers. one of the best I have ever seen

Beye-4 Unlucky to be sent off but maybe shouldnt have been so rash in going in for the tackle.

What was "rash" about this tackle? Robinho was through into the box and only had Given to beat. Beye would never have caught him. The only chance to prevent Robinho from scoring was to try to sneak the ball away from Robinho with this kind of tackle - which he did with great perfection. Only that Styles got his decision wrong as usual.

fuck me!!! that save he made from Ireland's volley was a thing of absolute beauty!!! that save should be used as an example when training young keepers. one of the best I have ever seen

Indeed, deserved to be a match winning save. Sublime volley from Ireland, just got the right curve on it, but Given did extremely well to get to it.