Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

We made Villa look very ordinary tonight, they just didn't want the points as much as we did and they had nobody to match Jonas and Martins who won the game for us.  The ball from Barton for the first is the kind of pass we see Butt trying and failing to make far too often, Barton had it inch perfect and Martins had all of the hard work still to do.  I was shouting at Kinnear to make changes but have to give him credit, it was perfect tonight and bringing on a defender for a forward just shut the game up when we needed that clean sheet.

Butt for me was the big let down or rather the big weak spot once again. He's the opposite to Barton in possession - wasteful. The opposite to Duff on the ball - sloppy control. The opposite to Jonas - slow and immobile. He's the weak link in there and stood out like a sore thumb. He didn't play badly and I'm not knocking him just that he's the odd man out and its noticeable.

Bit harsh on Guthrie as well I thought.

Its taking a while but it seems the players are developing a good rapport with the fans. Esp Jonas, and Joey B

That's the worst I have seen us play in a very long time.

Cuellar and Laursen were alright, the rest were dreadful.

I honestly don't think you looked a great deal better, but you certainly deserved the points. We just looked tired and devoid of ideas.

Wretched stuff.

I was very surprised at the Villa performance, especially when they went behind they just seemed to lack the fight.

Might have been very different if Agbonlahor had stuck that chance away though...

It might NOT have been either.

I know, that's why I said might.

Not trying to be negative, great performance tonight.

Guest optimistic nit

Butt for me was the big let down or rather the big weak spot once again. He's the opposite to Barton in possession - wasteful. The opposite to Duff on the ball - sloppy control. The opposite to Jonas - slow and immobile. He's the weak link in there and stood out like a sore thumb. He didn't play badly and I'm not knocking him just that he's the odd man out and its noticeable.

Bit harsh on Guthrie as well I thought.

if butt hadn't been playing we may have lost the game tbh. i thought he was defensively very good and guthrie's development would probably go better if he wasn't playing every game and gets some time to breathe.

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

enrique still looks dodgy enough, always makes me nervous when he's under the slightest bit of pressure !!

barton played well but really needs to calm down a bit and wise up, he does himself n favours, the boy will never learn !!

gutierrez and martins fantastic tonight, great to see martins playing well again...

cant wait till next match....

They were fucking going on about Barton tonite on that joke of a programme on Setanta for touching his fucking lips but said fuck all about Rooneys 2 terrible tackles one after another for fuck sake like!

I am abs buzzing after that performance and result,now hopefully we can push on and at least get a point up in Craven Cottage in another live match,cant wait!

Fucking excellent that.  :celb:

Totally unexpected win. Thought Barton took us by the scruff of the neck and drove us forward as the match went on. Well chuffed with that. Martins was Martins and Shola did well against a very good CH in Laursen. Duff worked hard and Gutierrez has definitely got that bit of class. Coloccini was immense once more and the Beye and Enrique both had solid games.

Overall a fantastic 3 points, a clean sheet, Owen back, strikers scoring and linking up, Colo marshalling the defence etc. A lot of positives to take from tonight.  :thup:

Well. Honestly never thought our lads had that performance in them at the moment but they proved me wrong and then some. First half was fairly even but second looked like fifth vs bottom except the other way round.

I see what you've done there...  :pow:

:blush:  You know what I mean. :lol:

Didn't think the Ref was that bad, was a niggly game and quite hard to referee.

Bennett was, is, and always will be, a fuckin' prick. Don't know what he has against us but he has carried this grudge now for far too long, someone needs to fuckin' demote him to the Sunday league.

Well. Honestly never thought our lads had that performance in them at the moment but they proved me wrong and then some. First half was fairly even but second looked like fifth vs bottom except the other way round.

I see what you've done there...  :pow:

:blush:  You know what I mean. :lol:

:lol:

Superb result. Massive congratulations to Joe Kinnear, a deserved win.... just.

Villa were excellent on the break in the first half, thought we were crisp in the first 15 minutes but they took over for the next 10-15 and should have got themselves ahead. Not 'out of sight' as recently addicted to crack cocaine Martin O'Neil put it. However, there were a number of expected / wanted performances from some players (Barton, Gutierrez and Martins) who delivered and a couple of impressive step ups (Enrique, Duff and Butt). The latter 3 were not overly impressive but seemed to discover the magical world of 'keep-ball' at some point during the second half. Ameobi had another good run out and played to his strengths and held the ball up remarkably at times, at others wastefully.

The back pairing looked average to me but they kept a very very creditable clean sheet.

Its a funny old game.

Was mentioned earlier in the thread but am seeing all the post match chat from Chris Hughton. I hope JK has genuinely got a sore throat (no malice intended).

Such is my paranoia these days that I am taking everything as a bad sign. I would hate to think its kicked off backstage and that he has been told not to speak to the press anymore. Tonight needs to be all about the positivity

more than just a good result, a good performance, very confident with the ball but still a bit jittery defensivly.

martins is much better when not dropping back 40yds and gutierrez can create chaos with an effective player on the other side  who can switch and have movement.

ameobi lives up to his reputation (aas given by me) as the player who can be pebalised for fouls by standing still or being assaulted.....also MOTM  for me and a slight concern about his injury (didn't think i'd see my self ever type that)