Guardian: Shearer clears way to become Newcastle manager

thewellander

i've always maintained that shearer should wait. but momentum has been gathering and its as if we've send out an SOS call. the club is in crisis, the city is in crisis and we need our knight in shining armour - shearer's the one.

its time, alan. save us.

i've always maintained that shearer should wait. but momentum has been gathering and its as if we've send out an SOS call. the club is in crisis, the city is in crisis and we need our knight in shining armour - shearer's the one.

its time, alan. save us.

If Jonas is afforded a place in your sig, then I think it's blasphemous that Nile the Danger Ranger isn't there. Hang your head in shame lad.

Guest Saint Andy

At the very least Shearer should wait until the whole MA debacle has been sorted out. For him to take the job now would be terrible timing.

At the very least Shearer should wait until the whole MA debacle has been sorted out. For him to take the job now would be terrible timing.

Unless Ashley has decided not to sell and will get rid of Wise.

Then the only way to win back the fans will to get Shearer and give him full control.

Guest Chubby Jason

Then the only way to win back the fans will to get Shearer and give him full control.

Or bring back Keegan and sack Wise, either one would win my favour. I'd still rather have KK back though, there was a great feeling around the club the both times he was here, I really miss that.

Guest Chubby Jason

Kinnear has just said that he wants Shearer to come here as coach.

Is JFK living on a different planet to the rest of us? Planet La La Land I think.

i think it's probably a bit of a veiled dig if anything.

I thought that. "Let him see what football is about."  :rolleyes:

Personally I thought Shearer had always avoided the job as he knew he was on a hiding to nothing. With expectations so high, he wouldn't have a chance of fulfilling those. Now however, I think the general mood is that we have hit rock bottom. Unlike last season, I think we could genuinely get relegated this year, and what better time for a manager to take over, when a team with better players than about half the league is underperforming. It will only take a half decent manager to get us to about 12th, and this season most Newcastle fans will be overjoyed with that. I'd rather take control with those set of expectations, rather than in the summer when everyone will expect you to finish top 6.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer wants the job but not under Ashley. His camp are cleverly promoting him to whoever does take over and building up a base of support for his appointment in fans, hence Kinnear's rather and not surprisingly flippant comments inviting Shearer to come and see what it's all about twice a week. Kinnear is desperate for the job and is fighting for his life and would love nothing better than for the club to remain unsold so he can manage it until the end of the season at least. Neither are helping matters. Big Al should keep out of it for now while Kinnear should concentrate on team affairs only. However I can't blame him for taking what I regard as a sideswipe towards Shearer when he was the only man willing to take the job. Where was Shearer? That's not a dig at our former number 9 by the way but if I'm interpreting it right I'm sure Kinnear is thinking just that. Your time will come Al.

Guest JamesyJazz

Shearer should learn the trade in the same way as Fergie has,E.Stirling,St.Mirren,Aberdeen,Manure.By that i mean that he should start in the lower divisions,prove himself,hone and fine tune the necessary skills required by managerial greats and then and only then should he be considered for the Toon job.

Nothing would hurt myself ,and others I've chatted to, more than seeing Shearer being thrown into the Toon managerial position unprepared and then balls it up.The supporters would turn on him imho.Christ though!Just imagine if he accepted the challenge and did just manage to perform a miracle and win us something!Sainthood?Nah,sorry I'm getting dangerous delusional visions here.

Why not go for the open post available just up the road at Berwick Rangers?

Just a short 3 mile hop up from Goswick Golf club where he has been spotted on a regular basis.

A club in need of strong leadership,limited funds and small squad.Sound familiar?

I'd love to see him take those lads and take them up a division or two get them safe,strong and stable then move on to bigger and  better teams.

Go for it Al !

Shearer should learn the trade in the same way as Fergie has,E.Stirling,St.Mirren,Aberdeen,Manure.By that i mean that he should start in the lower divisions,prove himself,hone and fine tune the necessary skills required by managerial greats and then and only then should he be considered for the Toon job.

That idea was okay 20 years ago but lower league football is nowt like the top level now so in most cases it is irrelevant now.

Fairplay to Paul Ince though who did 2 excellent jobs down there.

I have always been slightly sceptical of Shearer's claims that he wants the Newcastle job, to me it seemed like he was milking the adulation of local fans without ever actually putting himself in the firing line. I wouldn't expect him to take the job under Ashley, but if the club is close to being sold and he's genuinely being lined up by the next owner he'll go up 200% in my estimation if he takes the job.

Guest JamesyJazz

That idea was okay 20 years ago but lower league football is nowt like the top level now so in most cases it is irrelevant now.

Fairplay to Paul Ince though who did 2 excellent jobs down there.

Fair comment but imo learning man management skills,handling day to day club problems and so on is a big learning curve.Sentiment can only carry a man so far.So I will beg to differ with you on this point of view.

However I can't blame him for taking what I regard as a sideswipe towards Shearer when he was the only man willing to take the job. Where was Shearer? That's not a dig at our former number 9 by the way but if I'm interpreting it right I'm sure Kinnear is thinking just that.

That was my take on it as well, though I couldn't help but get the impression that JK was just making it up as he went along... why on earth just say come in for 2 days a week?!? And to "come learn the trade"? Hinting at the fact that he wouldn't know what to do? hmmm...

I think it's hard to make this argument now that Southgate, Keane, Adams and others of Shearer's generation have been given a start in the top flight without the kind of lower-league training you describe. Only Ince went through this, and one suspects the only reason he had to is because he's black.

Nothing would hurt myself ,and others I've chatted to, more than seeing Shearer being thrown into the Toon managerial position unprepared and then balls it up.The supporters would turn on him imho.Christ though!Just imagine if he accepted the challenge and did just manage to perform a miracle and win us something!Sainthood?Nah,sorry I'm getting dangerous delusional visions here.

Why not go for the open post available just up the road at Berwick Rangers?

Just a short 3 mile hop up from Goswick Golf club where he has been spotted on a regular basis.

A club in need of strong leadership,limited funds and small squad.Sound familiar?

I'd love to see him take those lads and take them up a division or two get them safe,strong and stable then move on to bigger and  better teams.

Go for it Al !

I was thinking about this earlier. Then had a w@nk to the thought of it...

Or bring back Keegan and sack Wise, either one would win my favour. I'd still rather have KK back though, there was a great feeling around the club the both times he was here, I really miss that.

Throughout this whole fiasco, the one man who really has done his job well is Dennis Wise. Coloccini, Guthrie, Bassong, Jonas - all good buys at a reasonable outlay, plus some promising youngsters like Ranger. Xisco seems to be a blunder but in this game you can't be right all the time.

Yet he's the man that people seem most ready to sacrifice. That's one of life's little ironies. Ashley has made his mistakes, but one thing that does do him credit is that he was prepared to stick by his man despite all the pressure.

Feel free to disagree.

Throughout this whole fiasco, the one man who really has done his job well is Dennis Wise. Coloccini, Guthrie, Bassong, Jonas - all good buys at a reasonable outlay, plus some promising youngsters like Ranger. Xisco seems to be a blunder but in this game you can't be right all the time.

Yet he's the man that people seem most ready to sacrifice. That's one of life's little ironies. Ashley has made his mistakes, but one thing that does do him credit is that he was prepared to stick by his man despite all the pressure.

Feel free to disagree.

Its a pity that sticking by his man Wise is more important than sticking by the football club he owns.

Feel free to disagree.

I thought Jimenez targeted the players and Wise recruited the Kids ,correct me if i am wrong .

Has Shearer actually said anything yet?

No i think all the talking is coming from others ,tonight on MOTD he may be asked by the other pundits about it unless he has a gagging order on it ,please ask him put him on the spot  :mystery: