Guardian: Shearer clears way to become Newcastle manager

thewellander

Shearer has never been offered our job, I think he'd take it if offered and for the first time I wouldn't mind him getting it.

Must admit Mick, I am finding myself thinking the same.

same here, the lack of other 'good' candidates & our shite current predicament makes him more and more appealing by the day

I'm pretty sure that this issue of the intrusion into his personal life is the main reason why Shearer has hesitated to go into management. If or when he takes the plunge, he wants to be sure that it'll be worth the sacrifice.

Trouble is, there are no guarantees. I'd worry that he may be reluctant to put in the hours needed, or get disillusioned when he faces setbacks.

Imho Shearer has never came across as a quitter and he knows what he is taking on with the toon and everything that goes with it media etc .He comes across determined and talks the talk will have a good knowledge of and know a good player when he sees one as his pundit work helps in that respect .

As we've seen with Keegan - twice with us and once with England - there are ways of quitting whilst still looking like you're behaving very honourably.

I'm pretty sure that this issue of the intrusion into his personal life is the main reason why Shearer has hesitated to go into management. If or when he takes the plunge, he wants to be sure that it'll be worth the sacrifice.

Trouble is, there are no guarantees. I'd worry that he may be reluctant to put in the hours needed, or get disillusioned when he faces setbacks.

Imho Shearer has never came across as a quitter and he knows what he is taking on with the toon and everything that goes with it media etc .He comes across determined and talks the talk will have a good knowledge of and know a good player when he sees one as his pundit work helps in that respect .

As we've seen with Keegan - twice with us and once with England - there are ways of quitting whilst still looking like you're behaving very honourably.

You see this is what i dont get about Keegan he quits us twice and he is still classed as hard done too by many on here including myself ,but there is part of me that feels betrayed by his actions as if he has done it to me personally if you understand what i mean but the more i think about it i say good riddance you could of fought your corner instead about thinking about yourself and dropping us all in it .

Jobs for the boys, nothing else.

Managers in wanting to work with people they like, trust and know shocker.

Jobs for the boys or not, Shearer's neither sentimental or stupid. If he ever took the job on he'd want to be successful, I doubt he'd be bringing in anyone who would be a liability. At the end of the day he'll be judged on results no matter who his pals are.

Guest Nufc4Life

Im really starting to think he's on the verge now, specially seeing as Kinnears meeting with Ashley has been put on ice, wouldnt be suprised to hear something this weekend.

Guest icemanblue

I fucking hope so. JK's most recent quotes have me deeply, deeply worried about what will happen to the club if he's left in charge any longer.

Guest Darth Toon

BBC saying Kinnear has told Football Focus he would welcome Shearer coming in as a coach.

Apparently there's an interview with JFK on football focus tomorrow - just showed a snippet on BBC News where he's saying Shearer is welcome to come in a couple of days a week and learn his trade.

Guest samtoonarmy

My uncle was telling me today that he knew someone who was talking to Peter Beardsley at the match on Saturday, and he was saying that we were going to be taken over by an American and he was going to get Shearer as manager...

My uncle was telling me today that he knew someone who was talking to Peter Beardsley at the match on Saturday, and he was saying that we were going to be taken over by an American and he was going to get Shearer as manager...

The Shearer links have been gathering pace. I randomly read in the London paper yesterday that Dowie would be one of his backroom staff.

It would be interesting if a new owner from abroad came in and opted for Shearer right off the bat despite hints that Keegan might be interested in returning.

I'm also warming to the idea of Shearer coming to us as well. He's our last decent role of the dice that we've got. We might as well take it.

Put it this way- If Shearer becomes manager of Newcastle, we'll see celebrations like when KK first joined us. The whole city will be given a lift and so will the players. We'll be on a high and will be hard to beat, no matter who we play. Its normally the way it is anyway!  :pow:

A backroom staff of Carver, Lee and Clark would be fantastic imo. I hope it happens soon because I, like everyone else, am rapidly losing confidence and patience in Kinnear and his plans.

Kinnear has just said that he wants Shearer to come here as coach.

Is JFK living on a different planet to the rest of us? Planet La La Land I think.

While it is a bit far-fetched, thinking about it maybe its not such a daft idea after all.

Purhaps they actually have a plan to try and sort out the crap situation we are in (on and off the pitch). Shearer would be able to get used to his job before taking over completely.

If, and its a big if, this was the plan then i'd think we'd see a mirror of the Spurs/Rednapp situation where Shearer agreed to come in only if the club structure themselves to him, bin the DOF and let him do it 100% his way.

Lot of ifs though.

On a side note - think Shearer's best hope of getting the job is with Ashley, a new owner will (or should) already have their own staff ready to go from takeover, and i'd expect them to have an experienced manager lined up.