Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Goals were flowing past man, it is only recently him & the rest of the back four have picked up.

Goals were flowing past because Coloccini wasn't defending properly? The point is, Coloccini, even in his worse games, has been the best central defender this club has had since Albert & Howey. If not better.

Goals were flowing past man, it is only recently him & the rest of the back four have picked up.

Goals were flowing past because Coloccini wasn't defending properly? The point is, Coloccini, even in his worse games, has been the best central defender this club has had since Albert & Howey. If not better.

He like most of the team & in particular the defence was poor earlier on the season.

I think it would be fair to say that Bassong's recent performances wouldn't have been as good if he hadn't been playing alongside such a talented and experienced defender, if you watch closely Colo organizes a lot he tells people where to go and when to go that's what you get from being a captain. Bassong has played three games, the key is to play consistently throughout the season not in just fits and starts. Colo for me has been playing at a consistently good level, not outstanding or excellent but good and considering he's played in the slowest leagues for all of his career that's impressive.

Stoke (h), Boro (a), Pompey (a), Chelsea (a), Spurs (h) and possibly Wigan (h) - might have to check that last one.

That's 6 games, and to me, you don't play so well for 6 games in 'fits and starts'.

I meant he has to prove that he can over more games or even a season. He's played 5/6 games but he's only had 4 good ones as everyone was rubbish against Stoke and the same for Wigan but that's beside the point, the fact remains he's still played 5 games, in all your time watching football how many players have you seen have 5 good games/or one good season even to completely flop later on, a certain Micah Richards springs to mind, as does Taylor when he first broke through and there's a hundred more i can name. If you're saying that playing well over a few games counts as consistency then that's just stupid, i'll call him consistent at the end of the season but not now. I like Bassong he looks a good defender and a great prospect but there's been enough footballers who have fallen into that category who have failed later on.

I never mentioned the word consistency. I was merely pointing out that even if his form does take a nose-dive, he clearly does have the ability to be a Premiership defender - because you don't have 5 or 6 good games in a row (against some decent forwards too like Crouch, Defoe and Anelka) without having something.

Typical NE5. Can't be bothered to talk about or celebrate the win on Sunday at all.

No no no, why enjoy actual football when you can waste everybody's time by hijacking threads and regurgitating the same s***.

how many wins have you celebrated over the last 45 years oldtype ?

Nice comback old man  mackems.gif

easy, and most of them were in the 2nd division pre-1992. Lets not go there eh ?

Your loyalty and support for the club is not in doubt.

Whether you come to this board for any reason other than to repeat the same arguments about the old board over and over and over and over and over and over and over again most certainly is.

"argument" ? It isn't an "argument". Why does it need repeating ?

That just about settles it then.

I never mentioned the word consistency. I was merely pointing out that even if his form does take a nose-dive, he clearly does have the ability to be a Premiership defender - because you don't have 5 or 6 good games in a row (against some decent forwards too like Crouch, Defoe and Anelka) without having something.

I agree he has something, he has a lot of potential to be very good, but a lot of players have something and they show it over a period of some games it doesn't mean that's a true reflection of their ability. There's been so many footballers who've made very promising and great starts over their first 10 games but a lot of them can never really carry on the form and their true level comes through. All i'm saying is be careful here, some people are naming him player of the season so far and he's played 5 games out of a possible 19, i'd rather just let him develop than mega-hype him and put too much pressure on him a la Richards.

Steven Taylor may have to wait for Toon return

Dec 24 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

JOE KINNEAR has warned Steven Taylor he has to be patient as the defender itches to get off the bench during the holiday games.

The England Under-21 skipper has not started a game for United since the victory over Aston Villa at St James’s Park at the beginning of last month.

And, after standing down because of injury, Taylor has been unable to claw his way back into the starting line-up because of the form of new boy Sebastien Bassong.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/12/24/steven-taylor-may-have-to-wait-for-toon-return-72703-22545209/

Guest Hellhammer

Should not forget Woodgate, even though he wasnt here for too long and also got him self injured, but he for sure was one great defender!

Should not forget Woodgate, even though he wasnt here for too long and also got him self injured, but he for sure was one great defender!

I have not forgotten Woodgate at all. But he was here one and a half seasons, and barely played for us (28 games or so?). Coloccini is well on his way to going past that in his first season alone, and he does not look injury prone to me, having played every game for Depor last season. Fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that, long may it continue.

Guest Hellhammer

I agree, but Woodgate for me was one better player when he came to Newcastle than i feel Colo is atm. But ofcourse, i do agree, and the fact that Colo doesnt seem to be as injure prone as Woodgate was, he for sure has every possibility to become one of the best defenders in Newcastle since Albert, Howey and Woodgate.

http://www.eurosport.fr/football/premier-league/2008-2009/ca-va-etre-enorme_sto1792134/story.shtml

Interview of Basson, in French though.

Cliff notes:

- Best game v Spurs, I don't know, but I've been playing well lately I feel.

- Not used to playing over Xmas, been resting. Trying to stay fresh, trying to adapt.

- Spent Xmas eve with Habib and friends. Family will be over later. Trained 24th, 25th then off to Wigan.

- I'm prepared for the schedule so I don't think it'll be too much of a shock. Even though games in England are so much more intense.

- Tricky season, but we're climbing up the table, we might be able to push into the top 10 soon as it's very tight.

- Enjoying life in Newcastle. Came to learn, and turns out I've been playing a lot, so can't complain. Confidence is growing

I have not forgotten Woodgate at all. But he was here one and a half seasons, and barely played for us (28 games or so?). Coloccini is well on his way to going past that in his first season alone, and he does not look injury prone to me, having played every game for Depor last season. Fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that, long may it continue.

I agree btw on fitness terms, but on pure ability Woodgate despite hardly playing for us is more than likely the best centre half we've ever had.

Woodgate was world class for us. Hasn't looked the same player since he's been back in England imo.

Yup. That injury took it's toll on him, he was still class at Madrid btw, their record when he played to when he didn't was ridiculous. But he's definitely lost some of his pace, his reading of the game is as good as ever mind.

Woodgate was world class for us. Hasn't looked the same player since he's been back in England imo.

Yup. That injury took it's toll on him, he was still class at Madrid btw, their record when he played to when he didn't was ridiculous. But he's definitely lost some of his pace, his reading of the game is as good as ever mind.

Didn't really see him at Madrid, but he just doesn't quite look the class act now he did for us, although he is starting to regain a bit of it at Spurs imo. Things like Viduka outmuscling him and scoring at the start of last season just shocked me. Could have been one of the best players in the world if he somehow could have kept himself fit.

I agree btw on fitness terms, but on pure ability Woodgate despite hardly playing for us is more than likely the best centre half we've ever had.

woodgate was the best centre half i've seen play for us in my time.

woodgate was the best centre half i've seen play for us in my time.

agree, after cannavaro he was the best i've seen in the flesh full stop