West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So you wouldn't of thought Chelsea are over paying for Torres but we value Carroll at say £20-25m & we don't want to be ripped off ourselves so we'll stick at our valuation?

From what was said, I got the impression that we said to Chelsea that they can have Torres (who wanted out anyway) provided we get the replacements we want.

Dalglish and/or Comolli decided upon Carroll and asked Ashley how much he wanted. Ashley pulled a ridiculous figure out of his arse, and instead of trying to negotiate the price down to something reasonable, we just whacked the difference on Torres's price, rang Abramovich and he said yes. If he'd refused to go above £40m, we'd certainly have come back offering £25m.

I mean, £35m for Carroll was f***ing ridiculous, but so was £50m for Torres. Perhaps not the Torres of 2007-2008, but certainly for the Torres they actually bought.

According to Werner, Carroll's actual ticket price was never a concern. He didn't care if we were overpaying for Carroll, as long as we weren't screwing up our squad and the bottom line was acceptable, and it was certainly worth paying £7m just to replace Torres with Suarez.

Whether our board actually considers Carroll to be £35m p*ssed into the wind is not clear, but it's certainly not the story they're telling. And the heaps of cash they've spunked on "potential", to put it kindly, more or less backs up the idea that they're not interested in getting value-for-money in the transfer market, but rather the bottom line vs return (i.e. points).

Personally, I see it as a massive waste of money. And it's not just Carroll we overpaid for.

he's either very stupid or a liar then.

also does the paragraph after make sense as surely value for money would massivly affect 'bottom line Vs points return'

What I meant by that is that as long as we're within the budget and within what the board wants in terms of performance, they don't seem to be overly arsed about paying way over the odds for individual players.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense, that's because I don't understand it either …

As far as I'm concerned, you can cut it up any way you want, but Kenny has still spent £112m in just one year and doesn't have a great deal to show for it.

Why not let this thread die a nice death? Like it should have done months ago :thup:

Because I find it funny as fuck that the greedy prick is failing miserably.

Same here.

Same I must admit, really enjoying him not doing well for Liverpool. Imagine if he'd been smashing them in ala Demba - too much to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Was saying on radio 5 that he headed straight to the dressing room after the full time whistle didn't celebrate with the fans or players.

Because he doesn't really care that's why.

Still think it's a shame how it's ended up for him.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Fucking pity he'll have a medal in a few weeks time. Liverpool's utter jamminess will vindicate their shite transfer policy.