West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If he keeps progressing at this rate the way he has done since January over the next two years, there's a place in the Euro 2012 squad with his name on it. Not a great pool of English players like Carroll, and if he can get two 12-15 goal seasons coming up, he could be there.

After Heskey, who else is there in the 'big aerial target man' mould?

- Crouch is decent in the air but much more than your standard 'lump it at...' target man. Different sort of player.

- Carlton Cole isn't good enough imo and Capello has used him sparingly.

- K.Davies is good but a bit old now and doesn't seem to get a look in.

Carroll would be right to ignore the Scottish call-up imo. He could easily be challenging for England caps within a few years.

Bobby Zamora

Holy Guacamole, Carroll for England  :cheesy:

I think we're getting a bit carried away here lads, he's doing a decent job in the Championship, this is all.

He could easily be challenging for England caps within a few years.

I realised that we were talking about the future but "easily"? IMO he has nowhere near the technical ability to be able to play for England at any point. Hope I'm wrong about the long-haired beaut however.

I don't see much technical ability in Emile Heskey. I was making the point that as the large target man who creates space for a Rooney-type, he will hopefully have a shout in a couple of years.

Beg to disagree there mate, Heskey is pretty good at playing a team role but he doesn't score the goals. Carroll is the opposite IMO, although he has much more potential to improve.

Carroll has the potential to be mooted for the England squad in a couple years because there aren't too many decent English strikers around. If he does better than total shit next season it'll get banded around, no doubt.

Guest firetotheworks

If Andy Carroll was called Andrei Karel and we’d bought him for £500k from the Lithuanian Second Division when he was 17 he wouldn’t get half the stick he does.

Aside from the age 17 point, which is like 'well of course, thats obvious' I don't think that's true. He'd just get a different kind of stick, more the Xisco kind of stick.

No, there’s a definite section of our support who believe foreign kids must be world beaters in the making and local lads must be s****.

And there's others that think because a player's foreign that they're shit. So vice versa really. Which is my point.

If Andy Carroll was called Andrei Karel and we’d bought him for £500k from the Lithuanian Second Division when he was 17 he wouldn’t get half the stick he does.

Aside from the age 17 point, which is like 'well of course, thats obvious' I don't think that's true. He'd just get a different kind of stick, more the Xisco kind of stick.

No, there’s a definite section of our support who believe foreign kids must be world beaters in the making and local lads must be s****.

And there's others that think because a player's foreign that they're s***. So vice versa really. Which is my point.

neither...............however there are many who make their mind up on a player within one game and it takes a lot to change their minds after that.

Guest Stephen927

He's gone from s****, lets sell him, to international material in a few short months. Knee jerk tastic.

Guest malandro

And there's others that think because a player's foreign that they're s***. So vice versa really. Which is my point.

neither...............however there are many who make their mind up on a player within one game and it takes a lot to change their minds after that.

And those who change their minds from game to game.

Carroll’s raw but has qualities that could make him an effective PL player. What we need to look at (at this stage of his career) is his overall progress and I think it’s clear he’s a better player now than he was 12 months ago.

The booking he received for ‘over celebrating’ was depressing. As supporters we want players to care, we want them to engage with the supporters in a way that suggests they still see themselves as one of us?

The comparisons to Duncan Ferguson looked a bit far fetched a couple of months ago apart from the jailbird aspect, but in the air he's starting to look just as big a threat. Big Dunc also had a very good awareness and first touch though, and I'm not sure whether you can learn those. I was actually more pleased with his second goal because that took a bit of finesse.

Guest Phil K

Got to say, the lad is improving dramatiically.

Watch one of the "big 4" slap a bid in for him in the close season

Something insulting at first

As for section of our crowd think foreigners world beaters - I'd agree far more with Malandro

The opposite most often. We WANT local lads to succeed and if the foreigner doesnt produce quickly theres less patience. FAR less.

Guest malandro

Probably true, but not all our supporters are in the crowd.

A lot of fans don’t think heading is a skill and that target men have no place in the modern game.  Too much time playing Sensible Soccer I reckon. 

Remember what Buffon said about AC after we played Juve in friendly a few years back.

Buffon tipped Carroll for great things, saying after the match: "Carroll played like what we call in Italy a ‘paintbrush striker’. He was there to add the finishing touch. He played well on his own.

"He will be an asset because he can find the smaller players around him in different ways and has already shown he has great awareness."

Got to say, the lad is improving dramatiically.

Watch one of the "big 4" slap a bid in for him in the close season

Something insulting at first

As for section of our crowd think foreigners world beaters - I'd agree far more with Malandro

The opposite most often. We WANT local lads to succeed and if the foreigner doesnt produce quickly theres less patience. FAR less.

I hope you mean one of the "big 4" in the championship lol  If not, you're seriously deluded.

About 12 games ago or so I was starting to think Carroll isn't going to be that great.  He's been fantastic since I started thinking that, scored lots of goals and it's not just in the air he's good.  He's hit a few decent crosses and got an assist and scored some decent goals with his feet too.  He's getting better in the air, in particular when attacking goal.

Fair play to him, hope he keeps getting better.  :thup: