West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So are you saying we needed to sell Milner? I know we're not discussing the exact same thing, but if it's the case then it hardly helps to destroy the theory that Ashley would sell any of our players if needs be.

I wonder who's going in January to pay for Tiote et al? :undecided:

I think Ashley's plan on transfers, at least for the last few years, has been to break even while in the Premiership.  Wether that means we absolutely had to sell Milner, I don't know, I don't think its that simple.  But it seems likely they would have been looking to even things up somewhere (obviously we could have not bought Nolan to help even things up).

Would Ashley sell any of our players if needs be?  Lets just say IF we went out and spent £30m on players I'd be worried about Carroll being sacrified to bring that money back in, as far as past history goes anyway

Also bare in mind that during the seasons we've broken even on transfers we lost significant amounts of money overall and Ashley had to subsidise that.  Hopefully with the club now in better shape financially we can start to do a bit better then breaking even on transfers.  Yes I'm being optimistic, I could be even more optimistic and say that in January we'll sell Smith for the exact same amount we paid for Tiote but that would just be silly :lol:

C'mon man, Ashley's profited from nearly every transfer window since he's been here, if not them all. To think that selling Andy Carroll would result it big reinvestment is silly.

Has he?

£8m a month or something, fucking mental!

If we sold Carroll for silly money then you can guarantee some of it would go back into the club, and not in the form of transfers. Some of it would go to transfers of course but I cant see all of it just being spent again straight away. All this talk of it lining Ashley's pockets is just stupid though and you can guarantee if we sold Carroll for £25 million and didn't then spend that amount in the window, people would be screaming about Ashley pocketing some of it.

For what its worth I don't think we should sell Carroll at all. We have to show some ambition to try and get back to where we used to be and selling our best players isnt how we will get there. The thought of £30 or £40 million is brilliant as it would help us build a better squad than we have now, but is it really worth selling Carroll when we could easily keep him and slowly build the same kind of squad? We wont even get close to those amounts anyway, we would be lucky to get even £25 million probably.

As for Shearer's record, I think Carroll has a long way to go. Shearer was a different kind of player not just with his ability but with his personality. He wanted to stay here and be the hero, he wanted to try and win things with his home town club and the lure of other, bigger clubs just didn't interest him. I'm not sure the same can be said about a young player in todays game, especially when we are a completely different side to the one Shearer joined. Shearer played in a side that was competing at the top every now and then and playing in Europe regularly. The lure of medals and the likes of City, Man Utd etc might be too much for someone like Carroll playing for a side that is only aiming to survive relegation (at the moment anyway). It also remains to be seen just how good Carroll can be as the league has seen its fair share of 1 season wonders.

So are you saying we needed to sell Milner? I know we're not discussing the exact same thing, but if it's the case then it hardly helps to destroy the theory that Ashley would sell any of our players if needs be.

Yeah but milner was pretty mediocre for us anyway.

His price had went up dramatically during his time with us so he was hardly mediocre but if you have convinced yourself that fairplay to you.

Yeah but milner was pretty mediocre for us anyway.

His price had went up dramatically during his time with us so he was hardly mediocre but if you have convinced yourself that fairplay to you.

when he had a good game he was brilliant but as a winger he was (and still is) pretty average to be fair. It was obvios when at us that he had talent, but he hardly effectivly utilised it week in week out to great effect.

Milner was (and still is) massively overrated IMO. Selling him for the price we got for him was a great deal, and if anything shows the club's transfer policy in a good light.

As a central midfielder he's worth a place in the second (or maybe top) tier of teams, but as a winger he's no more than average.

Guest Roger Kint

C'mon man, Ashley's profited from nearly every transfer window since he's been here, if not them all. To think that selling Andy Carroll would result it big reinvestment is silly.

Am amazed anyone can peddle this shit still.....

Ashley isn't that bad in doing the transfer.  The problem was that he usually relies on the wrong person (i.e. Xisco).  The transfer under the reign of Hughton is very impressive.  HBA, Williamson and Tiote are great bargain, while Routledge did contribute a lot last year. 

I don't think there's any set plan tbh. If it's realised we need improvement, Ashley will put the money in (within reason). If it's felt we can survive on what we have, he won't. The only issue is whether he recognises the need for said investment. That's what I feel has been his bad track record, not the fact that he just won't give us money 'cause he's a tightarse git.

I don't think it's to do with just balancing the books as such when it comes to signings, I just think he's been that stupid in the past that he genuinely thought what he'd invested would be enough to see us through.