Post-Kinnear Appointment

oldtype

Guest pont-toon

I've heard that the players call Kinnear 'Mike Bassett'.

Seriously.

is the same as i was told off someone that knows one of our "senior" player

The only thing I got from HTT's post was that we were successful when we went for the spectacular, failed when we went tried and tested, only then citing the fantasic achievement of CL qualification and 3-2 win over Barcelona under.............. One of the appointments previously criticised!

(I get the general point btw, just playing the pedantic buggar!)

I agree with the sentiment of the post though, we would be better of going for a gamble and seeing where we go, but where I disagree is that I would prefer Martinez to Temuri or Wor Alan, purely because I've witnessed the masive improvement he has made to Swansea over the past two years or so.

Guest Howaythetoon

The only thing I got from HTT's post was that we were successful when we went for the spectacular, failed when we went tried and tested, only then citing the fantasic achievement of CL qualification and 3-2 win over Barcelona under.............. One of the appointments previously criticised!

(I get the general point btw, just playing the pedantic buggar!)

I agree with the sentiment of the post though, we would be better of going for a gamble and seeing where we go, but where I disagree is that I would prefer Martinez to Temuri or Wor Alan, purely because I've witnessed the masive improvement he has made to Swansea over the past two years or so.

Aye, I've been impressed too. Apparently they play really good football too. I could go with Martinez. We need some fresh ideas, some energy and drive, some ambition from someone who wants to make a name for themselves or to make a mark, someone with different answers to tired old questions with the conviction and energy to bring about such answers.

Moyes is the answer...

I am not sure how we are gone lure him here but I am sure Moyes would be a very good manger. His team plays in infectious style very stuborn yet very effective. If Ashley is serious he should stop his game and fire Wise and make Moyes the central figure. This guy finish in top four and he is the only person to break in that catagory but we need to be ambitous to have any chance of getting him in here.

I'd rather take a gamble on a Shearer/Ketsbaia type manager than Bruce myself, despite regarding Bruce as a decent enough manager.

For me the unknown is more alluring than the known or rather the knowledge of what you'd get with a Bruce which would be consolidation, a mini-revival and then a slow slide backwards, and that's only if he's lucky, fans are patient and he can successfully transfer his Wigan system to an altogether different club physically and culturally.

He'd be more likely to do a Big Sam than a Sir Bobby Robson and even if he done a Wigan type job on us I ask, will that suffice? Right now of course in our position that obviously appeals hence the support of his name and this discussion but if we have learned one thing in recent years then trying to tie up a loose end   doesn't necessarily change things.

Dalglish was dour and outdated so we appointed the cosmopolitan Gullit. He was aloof, foreign and well, just a bit too inexperienced so in come the affable, local born experienced statesman Bobby Robson. By the end of his tenure discipline, injuries and ego was an issue so in came the drill seargent bully to whip the lads into shape. Then we went for that nice man Roeder after the foul nature of Souness for the sensitive touch. During all those appointments the structure of the club had been ignored and left to rot so after Roeder inevitably bombed in come the new age modern Big Sam. What a contradiction he turned out to be.

Keegan and Kinnear are one-offs, KK was a gimmick appointment and Kinnear isn't here to tie up any loose ends or to be the opposite of what went before, he's here by chance and not design. His job a simple one - to keep us up by hook or crook. There is no strategy with Kinnear, no game plan, no grande plans to transform the club like under Big Sam or to bring about the long lost glory days as Sir Bobby was charged with doing.

When Kinnear goes which we all hope will be at the end of the season and on the back of keeping us up, a Steve Bruce will represent a huge step-up from him and a decent appointment on paper no doubt. The kind of manager whose skills and CV fit the bill perfectly. Remember our history with loose ends though?

9 points at current is the difference between high flying Wigan and the free falling Newcastle United. Is 9 points enough reason to appoint Bruce who would still represent a gamble anyway?

I'm not so sure and as we're gambling here, why not a flutter on Shearer or someone like him such as Ketsbaia for example?

NUFC at current could do with some stabilising, consolidating and built back up slowly which Bruce has shown himself capable of doing at his previous clubs but there is another way.

Back in '92 the club needed the very same things and I imagine every single fan would have accepted that there and then if offered. Just as well they never though and the club didn't get that consolidation because we would have missed out on the promotion year, finishing 3rd in our debut Premier League season, 6th the season after and then a genuine title challenge before rounding it off with qualifying for the European Cup the season after and that amazing 3-2 win over Barcelona among other treats.

That all happened because the club broke with tradition (appointing steady eddies and sticking rigidly to a business model) and appointed Kevin Keegan whose mandate wasn't written in stone, who rather than work to what the club needed or demanded (consolidation more than anything), worked to what he wanted, what he demanded, which was what he had been used to all his career - success and in style.

That time has come once again for Newcastle United. For a fresh, young, energetic manager with no pre-conceived ideas and methods to breathe new life into this rotten corpse of a football club like KK did back in '92.

Yes some consolidation and gradual improvement would be most welcome and exactly what the club needs right now which I'm sure if given the time and backing Steve Bruce would achieve. I'd accept that right now and I'm sure most of you would too. Yes please.

But then I cast my mind back to '92 and for once I'm glad this club said f*** off to common sense. Lets not forget this club has made a mockery of common sense throughout its history and while the laws of averages say one day common sense will prevail at this mad club of ours, I'm not so sure that one day is now or close on the horizon.

We've put up with so many false dawns, had so many chances to consolidate and gradually improve and have constantly contrived to blow it I don't think fans have the will to fight another day on that front any longer. Bruce right now would be greeted with joy but I'd give it six months before we are all feeling good old deja-vu again.

What is needed is action, inspiration and new wave of energy to course through the veins of our club and our hearts which only a Shearer or alternatively a Kestbaia can bring in my opinion or a world-class appointment which lets be honest isn't going to happen is it.

We can't replicate the KK era of course, Shearer or not, there is no new old KK out there, not even the man himself. We have to move on, but that doesn't mean we should look away from your Shearers or young inexperienced managers because there is actually a club out there which we can actually look to emulate, a club that has went through its own downsized KK at NUFC style transformation we so crave.

Everton Football Club

They went down to the Championship and brought in the inexperienced and young David Moyes from Preston which at the time was a big gamble for a club that had experienced regular fights with the drop and were actually in such a fight at the time of his appointment.

Under this inexperienced manager Everton have improved significantly where only finances now hold them back which is more about the confines of the "system" that exists in football than Moyes' abilities as a manager.

Wigan or Everton? Consolidation or going for it?

I know which I'd rather happen to my club, which club I'd like us to become.

And in my humble opinion we'd stand more of a chance with Shearer or someone like him in charge than a Bruce. For me a Shearer could do for us what Moyes has done for Everton, grown the club in his own image, spirit and with his own ideas not transferred from a previous club but from his own aspirations and standards, from his own needs rather than that of his club's which at the time of his appointment was to simply stay up and consolidate. Top 4? Champions League qualifications? European football? Top 6 material? That's a hell of a lot more than Everton asked from Moyes and Evertonians expected and would have settled for.

That can be us under the right manager.

Not Steve Bruce.

Not necessarily Alan Shearer either, although I'd regard him as less of a gamble than a Martinez, a Ketsbaia or some other young and up and coming name.

Much like with Keegan, Shearer would unite fans and bring a certain buzz to St. James' Park which at this club is half the battle, ask all those managers from Jackie Charlton to Sam Allardyce about how important Newcastle fans are to this club of ours. If fans don't like you or don't agree with your methods you have to be ultra successful to be deserving of the title manager of our club. Some will argue that's our downfall, that we are our worst enemy at times, but people like Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby our two most successful managers since Joe Harvey will tell you different, that we are they key to it all and who am I to argue with them, or any of us regardless of our feeling on this issue.

Its all about what you want and while I want all that consolidation malarky as much as the next fan, I'm a dreamer, a believer. What I really want is what Kevin Keegan and Sir John Hall showed us is possible if we just allowed ourselves to dream and believe.

And no matter who owns my club, manages it or plays for it I will never stop dreaming and believing. That for me is what NUFC and football is all about.

Any old manager with a bit of luck, patience and backing can achieve stability, Glenn Roeder done it in half a season.

Not anyone can deliver dreams though.

I'd back Shearer over Bruce in that department. After all he's already delivered a few over his time here as a player. That brace at Old Trafford to send us to Wembley, those amazing reflexes to beat the Sheff Utd player to the ball to again send us to Wembley. His brace at the San Siro. Those goals against Everton and Villa, his heroics week in week out. His signing.

There is everything to suggest he will fail as a manager of course, but there is everything to suggest the opposite too... or there could be.

What have we to lose, really?

One of the best analysis I have read for quite some time it is shame you are not running the club and a guy called clueless Lilambas run it......

Moyes is the answer...

I am not sure how we are gone lure him here but I am sure Moyes would be a very good manger. His team plays in infectious style very stuborn yet very effective. If Ashley is serious he should stop his game and fire Wise and make Moyes the central figure. This guy finish in top four and he is the only person to break in that catagory but we need to be ambitous to have any chance of getting him in here.

Saying Moyes is the answer to our coaching woes is like saying Arteta is the answer to our midfield woes.

Let's think of more realistic alternatives.

Ashley pledges to spend more time running NUFC

Feb 5 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

MIKE Ashley has pledged to spend more time in the North East running Newcastle United as he looks to adopt a more ‘hands on’ role at the club he was prepared to sell before Christmas.

Ashley has told manager Joe Kinnear that he intends to be a more visible presence at the club’s training ground from now on – and that he will start to take more responsibility for the key decisions at the club.

He also agreed to Kinnear’s request for a regular fortnightly meeting.

It follows a prolonged visit by Ashley to the club’s training ground last week ahead of transfer deadline day, which Kinnear believes invigorated his commitment to Newcastle United. “Mike will be back in Newcastle today. He definitely wants to become more hands on in the running of his football club,” said Kinnear.

“He has been in Newcastle three days a week and that will be a regular thing from now on.

“He wants to see how things work and he’s committed to a fortnightly major meeting between everyone at the club so that we can start moving things in the right direction. It is a new world for him. Over the last week or so we’ve had him down at the training ground talking to the players, eating his lunch with them and giving them the kind of reassurances on their contracts and their future that they’ve needed to hear.

“He hasn’t seen players train and work first hand before but he told me it has opened his eyes, and he’s definitely willing to back up his words.”

Kinnear added: “I know people still have to be convinced about things but there is a sense of unity at the club now.

“The guys at the top know they need to communicate better, which is why they are speaking to the two local papers. I think they will sit down with supporters’ groups and fans and the people of Newcastle at the end of the season – I know they want to do that.

“When I came in I kept getting caught between different people wanting different things but hopefully that has now disappeared and we can start to look forward.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/05/kinnear-ashley-will-be-more-hands-on-61634-22858740/

Good news if true.

A shame it's got to this stage though before such actions were taken.

He's made pledges like this before, Keegan was getting more and more pissed off that he couldn't reach the owner during his time as manager. I hope he follows through this time.

Ashley pledges to spend more time running NUFC

Feb 5 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

MIKE Ashley has pledged to spend more time in the North East running Newcastle United as he looks to adopt a more ‘hands on’ role at the club he was prepared to sell before Christmas.

Ashley has told manager Joe Kinnear that he intends to be a more visible presence at the club’s training ground from now on – and that he will start to take more responsibility for the key decisions at the club.

He also agreed to Kinnear’s request for a regular fortnightly meeting.

It follows a prolonged visit by Ashley to the club’s training ground last week ahead of transfer deadline day, which Kinnear believes invigorated his commitment to Newcastle United. “Mike will be back in Newcastle today. He definitely wants to become more hands on in the running of his football club,” said Kinnear.

“He has been in Newcastle three days a week and that will be a regular thing from now on.

“He wants to see how things work and he’s committed to a fortnightly major meeting between everyone at the club so that we can start moving things in the right direction. It is a new world for him. Over the last week or so we’ve had him down at the training ground talking to the players, eating his lunch with them and giving them the kind of reassurances on their contracts and their future that they’ve needed to hear.

“He hasn’t seen players train and work first hand before but he told me it has opened his eyes, and he’s definitely willing to back up his words.”

Kinnear added: “I know people still have to be convinced about things but there is a sense of unity at the club now.

“The guys at the top know they need to communicate better, which is why they are speaking to the two local papers. I think they will sit down with supporters’ groups and fans and the people of Newcastle at the end of the season – I know they want to do that.

“When I came in I kept getting caught between different people wanting different things but hopefully that has now disappeared and we can start to look forward.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/05/kinnear-ashley-will-be-more-hands-on-61634-22858740/

The second part of the story is:

Ashley is still fighting an uphill battle to reclaim credibility with United fans after the club’s January transfer window dealings, which saw Newcastle finish the month in profit.

It remains to be seen whether claims of Ashley’s renewed commitment to the club will dent the scepticism that has surrounded United’s owner since Kevin Keegan’s departure, but it does mark a departure from his previous policy of delegation to trusted advisors.

There are other moves afoot at St James’s Park, with Kinnear relocating some of the key power brokers at the club to the training base in Benton.

Derek Llambias and Ashley will have offices there, while the scouts and club secretaries are also set to be based away from the city centre, so that Kinnear can make contact with them quickly.

Meanwhile, United’s manager has expanded on the club’s efforts to strengthen in the transfer window – including their attempt to swap Charles N’Zogbia for Spurs striker Darren Bent.

“I had to raise my own transfer funds through selling other players which was not ideal but we just had to get on with it. The credit crunch has hit us hard,” he said.

“We tried to do plenty of things but clubs wouldn’t sell. I spoke to Harry Redknapp about swapping Charles N’Zogbia for Darren Bent but that was not something that Tottenham wanted to do.

“We went to Liverpool for Sammi Hyypia and got turned down. We wanted Michael Johnson and Nedum Onuoha from Manchester City as part of the Shay Given deal but they wouldn’t sell them, and we were faced with the choice of having a really unhappy player or letting him go.

“We were close with Johnson and when we didn’t get that we went for Kieran Richardson.”

So effectively Kinnear admits he lied during the transfer window, I thought he claimed he was given £10 million to spend

I'm more curious how Kinnear is allowed to speak about transfers but Keegan wasn't.  Do people still remember the press release that came out after Keegan left outlining the do's/don'ts of his role.  Seems Kinnear can do whatever the hell he wants.

So effectively Kinnear admits he lied during the transfer window, I thought he claimed he was given £10 million to spend

I'm more curious how Kinnear is allowed to speak about transfers but Keegan wasn't.  Do people still remember the press release that came out after Keegan left outlining the do's/don'ts of his role.  Seems Kinnear can do whatever the hell he wants.

Perhaps he's allowed to say whatever he wants as long as it isn't the truth.

“I had to raise my own transfer funds through selling other players which was not ideal but we just had to get on with it. The credit crunch has hit us hard,” he said.

“We tried to do plenty of things but clubs wouldn’t sell. I spoke to Harry Redknapp about swapping Charles N’Zogbia for Darren Bent but that was not something that Tottenham wanted to do.

“We went to Liverpool for Sammi Hyypia and got turned down. We wanted Michael Johnson and Nedum Onuoha from Manchester City as part of the Shay Given deal but they wouldn’t sell them, and we were faced with the choice of having a really unhappy player or letting him go.

“We were close with Johnson and when we didn’t get that we went for Kieran Richardson.”

Mong

"“He wants to see how things work and he’s committed to a fortnightly major meeting between everyone at the club so that we can start moving things in the right direction. It is a new world for him."

Sorry. Has he just bought the club last week or something ?

"“He wants to see how things work and he’s committed to a fortnightly major meeting between everyone at the club so that we can start moving things in the right direction. It is a new world for him."

He's not been involved in the day-to-day running  of it, other than writing cheques.

He employed Mort and then Llambias to run it for him.  It's possible that he's now realising that Llambias has made a complete fuck up of the job & wants to see what's going on more closely.

He's not been involved in the day-to-day running  of it, other than writing cheques.

He employed Mort and then Llambias to run it for him.  It's possible that he's now realising that Llambias has made a complete fuck up of the job & wants to see what's going on more closely.

But as someone said earlier, he definitely came out previously (months ago) with the comment of how he is now going to take a more "Hand on role" at the club. Something along the lines of "Putting the suit on and getting involved more. Obviously utter crap then so why should we believe it now.

Its just terrifying to think he has only now realised what an utter cock up his staff are making of it all. Personally I dont think he is thick enough to have thought that the previous 6 months have been fine. I think he is just trying to pacify the fans