Post-Kinnear Appointment

oldtype

Gerard Houllier or Steve Bruce.

This to be honest. Have him in for a year or so to groom shearer then move him upstairs.

He is a name everyone forgets about but is probably one of the most obvious choices, is respected, has great experience and achievements to boot, would persuade Owen to stay, works great with youngsters. Would be a willing mentor to Shearer.

Probably the best fit out there for this club. Wanted him when we appointed Roeder and after he left. We should have gone all out for him after keegan left.

Of the others:

Bruce - we have done worse, would be a solid choice over time if not an enthralling one. He would get the club stable again but If all did go to plan I dont think he would be the one to take us back to the top four or beyond.

Martinez - Like him, but too much of a risk. Ironic I can say that with JFK in the hotseat every day, maybe with some experience around him. Probably a non starter though.

Jol - Wouldnt be a bad choice again, probably more like Bruce but could take us a slight touch futher, IF fans took to him.

Ketsbaia - Would be mental, would get everyone happy and the players fired up, seems like a great coach and knows the club. I think the powers that be would see him as too much of a risk, maybe fair enough. Would be entertaining though.

Shearer - Would go one of two ways, surrounded by a diverse and experienced coaching set up wouldnt be so bad, its got to happen sometime. The people appointed around him would be vital though.

Moyes - Seems crazy to think he would be even remotely interested, but never say never. He has been at Everton a while,people under estimate the pull of the club even in the states its in, a big contract, money to spend and a decent set up could entice him imo. He would however be mad to come. Has done a great job at Everton

Im sure there are a plethera of talented foreign coaches that would jump at the job too, I cant think of any off hand that I would like though. On the flip side there are plenty of coaches in the UK that would do the same, I dont think there are any I would want that I havent mentioned though.

i think mowbray plays fantasy/fm football - ignorant to the situation he is in that is.

with a squad like the one he has (and the one he'd get here) you need to be able to adapt your style, so as to battle your way through many matches. from what i've seen of wba this season, there is much too much "we want to play attractive football" about them....

Ask the Scots if they thought he played 'Fantasy Football' up there....

You will soon find NUFC fans complaining if they DON'T get so-called Fantasy Football - look what happened when Dalglish was manager(and he inherited a tighter budget than KK), he was slated for playing 'unattractive football', but got us to 2nd place and a Cup Final..he was fired after the second game of a season because of the mortal sin of drawing the first 2 games, one away at Chelsea, because of 'Unattractive football'...what happened when Gullit got the job ? A load of idiots wearing curly wigs and chanting 'Sexy football'....what happened after that? Ask Shearer & Rob Lee.....

And then, there was Allardyce......and then, Kinnear.....

Mowbray got Albion promoted playing decent football - you can't get the players who have those strengths to play a different way in the Prem - its hardly his fault if he hasn't been given the dosh to get the players necessary to change the system ; and don't forget, he was a tough CH himself, so he knows all about defending...

NUFC have tried getting so-called 'proven' managers, incl a foreign one in Gullit who did well at Chelsea...none of it has worked.

The club's only option is to get a younger manager with potential and let him run the club on a proper footing without interference.

Erm, Robson?

Erm - he was 66 when he joined the club and although he did a good job, he turned it down when SJH asked him after KK left in 97....he also wasted quite a bit of money on bad buys and lost control of some of the wasters in the Dressing Room - that's why we need a younger manager who will REBUILD THE CLUB.

The simple fact is NUFC have tried "so-called proven managers" and at least one of them has worked, which is why I picked you up on your claim that none of them had. Choosing a young manager is not the club's only option, it's simply your preferred option, let's not confuse the two. I'm all for giving the job to a younger manager, but that manager must (in my opinion) have some experience (ie not like Shearer), but if they pull a good older manager out of the hat then I'll be satisfied. The important thing for me is that the decision is taken based upon logic, that we get someone who is likely to be good and not simply because they will appeal to the emotional side of our fans. We've seen where that leads us and it's not a place I want to end up again.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Steve Bruce all day.

Hit rock bottom with Birmingham,

learned from his mistakes and has proved that with wigan

Has a good eye for a player Zaki, Palacios (wenger?), Valencia etc

but most importantly

He would want the job!

i think mowbray plays fantasy/fm football - ignorant to the situation he is in that is.

with a squad like the one he has (and the one he'd get here) you need to be able to adapt your style, so as to battle your way through many matches. from what i've seen of wba this season, there is much too much "we want to play attractive football" about them....

Ask the Scots if they thought he played 'Fantasy Football' up there....

You will soon find NUFC fans complaining if they DON'T get so-called Fantasy Football - look what happened when Dalglish was manager(and he inherited a tighter budget than KK), he was slated for playing 'unattractive football', but got us to 2nd place and a Cup Final..he was fired after the second game of a season because of the mortal sin of drawing the first 2 games, one away at Chelsea, because of 'Unattractive football'...what happened when Gullit got the job ? A load of idiots wearing curly wigs and chanting 'Sexy football'....what happened after that? Ask Shearer & Rob Lee.....

And then, there was Allardyce......and then, Kinnear.....

Mowbray got Albion promoted playing decent football - you can't get the players who have those strengths to play a different way in the Prem - its hardly his fault if he hasn't been given the dosh to get the players necessary to change the system ; and don't forget, he was a tough CH himself, so he knows all about defending...

NUFC have tried getting so-called 'proven' managers, incl a foreign one in Gullit who did well at Chelsea...none of it has worked.

The club's only option is to get a younger manager with potential and let him run the club on a proper footing without interference.

Erm, Robson?

Erm - he was 66 when he joined the club and although he did a good job, he turned it down when SJH asked him after KK left in 97....he also wasted quite a bit of money on bad buys and lost control of some of the wasters in the Dressing Room - that's why we need a younger manager who will REBUILD THE CLUB.

The simple fact is NUFC have tried "so-called proven managers" and at least one of them has worked, which is why I picked you up on your claim that none of them had. Choosing a young manager is not the club's only option, it's simply your preferred option, let's not confuse the two. I'm all for giving the job to a younger manager, but that manager must (in my opinion) have some experience (ie not like Shearer), but if they pull a good older manager out of the hat then I'll be satisfied. The important thing for me is that the decision is taken based upon logic, that we get someone who is likely to be good and not simply because they will appeal to the emotional side of our fans. We've seen where that leads us and it's not a place I want to end up again.

And who among the older managers is likely;-

a) To take the job

b) Be acceptable to the supporters ?

Robson was for 2 reasons - he was a NE man and he had been successful not only in England, but abroad too...

Look at the discontent when Redknapp was approached for the job, mainly because he was a Cockney and that he hadn't had the success Robson had.

George Graham was mentioned as a temp manager after KK left, but this board had plenty of posters who thought it was sacrilege...likewise Venables, and these were men who had won things BUT - they were older managers. As it happens, I don't think EITHER of them would have performed as badly as Kinnear....

'My preference', as you put it, for a younger manager is because the club needs someone who wants to be a success, NOT someone who is on their last pay day ; Houllier would be a reasonable stop gap, but ONLY with a younger man alongside him, and anyone who has faith in their own ability would NOT want someone looking over their shoulder or interfering in team affairs.

I agree with those who say that its a gamble with Shearer because he has NO proper managerial experience, but as I said on another thread, that doesn't mean he might not be a success if given the chance ; we have had TOO MANY managers & false starts, and the next one has to be a stable guy who can grow with the club as Shankly did at Liverpool and Revie with Leeds.

NUFC has been a joke club, staggering from crisis to crisis for too long - we need someone who will bring stability, progress and longevity to the manager's office - whether we can achieve this under the current regime is doubtful to say the least.

They didn't work for various reasons.

Dalglish had Shearer's injury to deal with in his first full season, but despite doing OK in the FA cup he produced some dreary safety-first style football at times that no one wanted to see.

Gullit was a crap manager who could only deal with players as good as he was, he couldn't understand when players didn't know what to do & needed his guidance.  When you're managing players like Zola you can get away with it, when you're David Beharall's manager it fails.  Worse, after the Gullit disaster the then board were s*** scared of appointing another foreign manager, limiting ourselves to British managers who, bar Robson, shouldn't be managing a pub team let alone a Premiership team.

Robson did pretty well, once he got rid of Mick Wadsworth.

I'd rather forget Souness ever existed.  A manager in the same style as Gullit but without the charisma.  Total reliance on players knowing what they're doing rather than develop anything resembling tactics or instructions.  Brought in his inept mates as coaches, told 3 of our better players that they'd never play for the club again, spent millions on rubbish.  Makes Kinnear look competent.

Roeder, did great when he had Shearer with him to act as his 2nd in command, but had little support from the players when he took the job on full time.  A nice guy, but too weak.

Fat Sam came in to show us all these new and amazing training techniques & apparently understood tactics.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) the players he had here were totally wrong for his tactics and the players he brought in, bar Beye & Enrique, pretty poor.  He played football so negative that he made Dalglish's tactics look exciting.  If we'd have been winning games too it wouldn't have mattered, but to play s*** football & still lose is unforgivable.

For various reasons the proven managers have been garbage & brought in as knee-jerk reactions to deal with some perceived fault from the previous manager's era - players aren''t listening to the manager? bring in that hard nut Souness to sort them, training techniques stuck in the 1800's? bring in Fat Sam & his team, etc.

Appointing a proven manager isn't necessarily wrong, but like buying a Chelsea or Man Utd reject you have to ask why aren't they wanted by others?.  Get the right manager in, proven or unproven, put the right people around them & give them time to succeed.

Faye?

otherwise good post

bruce all day long.

ive always hated the b****** as well, and didnt want him near the job, but he has done agreat job at wigan, is a realistic option, and the best we could get atm.

People knock him for being a 'Plastic Geordie'..a bit unfair, but if he DID take the job and do fairly well, do you think he would stay if Man U came calling after Fergie retires....??

bruce all day long.

ive always hated the b****** as well, and didnt want him near the job, but he has done agreat job at wigan, is a realistic option, and the best we could get atm.

People knock him for being a 'Plastic Geordie'..a bit unfair, but if he DID take the job and do fairly well, do you think he would stay if Man U came calling after Fergie retires....??

Not a chance but if he got us up the league but i for one wouldn't care too much. Man United is the biggest job in world football arguably. It would show he's done a good job here which in the Short Term is the most important thing. We, then ourselves would be in a better position to appoint a better manager and kick on further.

I think it's possible that he would stay, even if Man U were after him.

IF we go down (and I will be an 8 out of 10 certainty voter if we don't get 3 points on Saturday) then it has to be Darren Ferguson. Not only has he shown promise so far, but when dealing with the type of players we have/should have he has the advice of the greatest manager there has possibly ever been, and also the contacts that come with that.

Who knows, if Ferguson retires, he may get bored an pop in on the odd day!!

Surley if we lose our next three games his job will be on the line? may all depend if Ashley can fine another mug to take the job like, imagibe if we go down and he aint sacked, trusting him to get us back up.

:(

Surley if we lose our next three games his job will be on the line? may all depend if Ashley can fine another mug to take the job like, imagibe if we go down and he aint sacked, trusting him to get us back up.

The fans will turn right against both Kinnear and Ashley on saturday if we get beat. Ashley may sack JFK to try and win fans back over.

Lots of fanciful names being chucked about but you cant really look past Steve Bruce, it pains me to say this BTW.

Back before we appointed Roeder permanently I was of the same opinion that Bruce simply wasn't good enough, was living off his former-man-utd-player status and his habit of walking out on clubs was a bit off-putting.

But since then he's managed to get his teams playing decent football at times, they defend extremely well when necessary and he's done pretty well in the transfer market with a few cheaper players who have immediately looked at home in the Premiership.  Apparently, when Ferguson was talking in the dressing room Bruce was listening and taking notes for the future, unlike some other high profile examples.

I'd have him here in a heartbeat, plus I think he sees the Newcastle job as "the one that got away" so there's a damned good chance he'd want to come here too.

The fans will turn right against both Kinnear and Ashley on saturday if we get beat. Ashley may sack JFK to try and win fans back over.

Not if he cannot get a manager to take the job, we will just get a JK mkII, and nowt will change.

If we lose the next three we are as good as down, I think Mike will hit the panic button if we lose on Saturday, I expect a new appointment on Monday, either Wise/Poyet or an ex-NUFC-player

If we lose the next three we are as good as down, I think Mike will hit the panic button if we lose on Saturday, I expect a new appointment on Monday, either Wise/Poyet or an ex-NUFC-player

We have 1 home game in the next three but thats Everton, we did okay down there but they are playing well right now and we are a mess. After the next three we have Man U up here, so lose 3 lose 4 really.

I just do not have the faith that Ashley will sack JK, or if he does it will be way to late for any manager to save us this season.

http://sixers4guidos.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/panic_button21.jpg