Post-Kinnear Appointment

oldtype

I don't think the players have lacked effort, I just think they need better direction. Kinnear's use of substitutions is a case in point. Mourinho would make three substitutions in the first half if he wasn't seeing results, Kinnear waits until the game's gone down the pan before introducing anyone. Considering he's such a complete bullshitter I'm surprised to see them putting in the effort that they do tbh.

In fairness, Mourinho often had world class internationals on the bench who could contribute heavily.  We on the other hand often have kids who have barely seen any first team action on the bench.  Bit unfair to compare, however I agree that we should make substitutions a bit earlier.

"He wants to see how things work and hes committed to a fortnightly major meeting between everyone at the club so that we can start moving things in the right direction. It is a new world for him."

Sorry. Has he just bought the club last week or something ?

Thank fuck he's realised before we've fallen into a real relegation battle, eh.

:rolleyes:

His running of this club is so bad i can't believe what i'm reading at times.

I don't think the players have lacked effort, I just think they need better direction. Kinnear's use of substitutions is a case in point. Mourinho would make three substitutions in the first half if he wasn't seeing results, Kinnear waits until the game's gone down the pan before introducing anyone. Considering he's such a complete bullshitter I'm surprised to see them putting in the effort that they do tbh.

In fairness, Mourinho often had world class internationals on the bench who could contribute heavily.  We on the other hand often have kids who have barely seen any first team action on the bench.  Bit unfair to compare, however I agree that we should make substitutions a bit earlier.

Granted Mourinho had more resources, but Kinnear's looked pretty inept regardless when it comes to using substitutes. Take the Stoke game for example, where we went 2-0 up but an injury to Guthrie left us totally shagged because Kinnear hadn't thought to put a midfielder on the bench. Even a young midfielder would be better than putting defenders on the wing and fucking up two areas of the pitch with one move.

Kinnear contract talks on ice

Feb 5 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Joe Kinnear

JOE KINNEAR has shelved plans to sign a new contract until the end of the season.

The Newcastle United boss recently revealed he had been offered a two-year contract by Toon tycoon Mike Ashley.

But, going into Saturday’s crunch game against West Brom, he knows United fans are more concerned about what happens on the pitch at the moment.

Kinnear has also decided to focus solely on preserving United’s top-flight status and has opted to put contract talks on ice until the end of the season.

He said today: “We’ve agreed the contract and it’s there on the table.

“And we’ve had a meeting about the future of the club.

“But we came to the conclusion that the best decision to make was to get round the table again at the end of the season.

“We have talked about what is the best way to take Newcastle forward.

“I’ve had a fantastic offer, but we shook hands on it and said we would address it at the end of the season.

“It’s all about survival.

“Before the club can take the next step it’s about us cementing ourselves in the Premier League.”

The feeling of anger, though, among fans was highlighted again last night at an open meeting held by the Newcastle United Supporters Club.

Over 200 fans crammed into the Tyneside Irish Centre to vent their anger over the running of the club and announce plans for a rally at Grey’s Monument before the next home game with Everton on February 22.

Yet while frustrations boil over off the field, Kinnear is pleading for calm and focus on it as he looks to steer United to safety.

And in new boy Kevin Nolan he feels he has acquired the right sort of character to do exactly that.

Speaking on the ex-Bolton skipper, he added: “I wanted somebody with some serious clout who has seen it and done it.

“Kevin fits the bill. He’s been there when Bolton fought to stay up in the early years.

“I believe in him. He’s a great passer of the ball and he is infectious around the dressing room.

“He’s a leader above all things.

“He did phenomenally well for Bolton and he is capable of toughing it out when needed which is the position we’re in at the moment.”

Meanwhile, Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson is believed to keen on talking to Newcastle in the summer after an £8m bid to St James’s Park was turned down by the Eastlands club.

The England Under-21 star is only a few months into a five year deal at Man City but has suffered an unhappy time with injury and off the field issues which have culminated in him make just three Premier League appearances this season

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/05/kinnear-contract-talks-on-ice-72703-22861295/

In fairness to Kinnear he's done the right thing there, and i'm pleased he's done it rather than jumping straight into the job full-time.

However, i hope it isn't simply a case of "if we stay up i'll sign it, if we go down - maybe not..."

Kinnear contract talks on ice

Feb 5 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Joe Kinnear

JOE KINNEAR has shelved plans to sign a new contract until the end of the season.

The Newcastle United boss recently revealed he had been offered a two-year contract by Toon tycoon Mike Ashley.

But, going into Saturdays crunch game against West Brom, he knows United fans are more concerned about what happens on the pitch at the moment.

Kinnear has also decided to focus solely on preserving Uniteds top-flight status and has opted to put contract talks on ice until the end of the season.

He said today: Weve agreed the contract and its there on the table.

And weve had a meeting about the future of the club.

But we came to the conclusion that the best decision to make was to get round the table again at the end of the season.

We have talked about what is the best way to take Newcastle forward.

Ive had a fantastic offer, but we shook hands on it and said we would address it at the end of the season.

Its all about survival.

Before the club can take the next step its about us cementing ourselves in the Premier League.

The feeling of anger, though, among fans was highlighted again last night at an open meeting held by the Newcastle United Supporters Club.

Over 200 fans crammed into the Tyneside Irish Centre to vent their anger over the running of the club and announce plans for a rally at Greys Monument before the next home game with Everton on February 22.

Yet while frustrations boil over off the field, Kinnear is pleading for calm and focus on it as he looks to steer United to safety.

And in new boy Kevin Nolan he feels he has acquired the right sort of character to do exactly that.

Speaking on the ex-Bolton skipper, he added: I wanted somebody with some serious clout who has seen it and done it.

Kevin fits the bill. Hes been there when Bolton fought to stay up in the early years.

I believe in him. Hes a great passer of the ball and he is infectious around the dressing room.

Hes a leader above all things.

He did phenomenally well for Bolton and he is capable of toughing it out when needed which is the position were in at the moment.

Meanwhile, Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson is believed to keen on talking to Newcastle in the summer after an £8m bid to St Jamess Park was turned down by the Eastlands club.

The England Under-21 star is only a few months into a five year deal at Man City but has suffered an unhappy time with injury and off the field issues which have culminated in him make just three Premier League appearances this season

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/05/kinnear-contract-talks-on-ice-72703-22861295/

[/quote/]

Hopefully a ploy to allow him to walk away with his dignity intact at the end of the season with a nice loyalty payment so he can save a bit face

Guest Howaythetoon

Looking at the Championship our old Academy Director Alan Irvine seems to be doing a good job with Preston, perhaps another to keep an eye on.

Regarding David Moyes I always had him down as a Steve Bruce type manager - decent but nowt special. However his credentials and abilities have increased significantly in the past few years and he's proving himself to be an excellent manager arguably on the same level as Martin O'Neill. Basically a cut above the likes of Bruce.

We wouldn't stand a chance with Moyes though as Everton are in a much better position than we are. He's out of our league as far as prospective new managers go.

i'm hoping that all this contract talk is merely the alternative to saying 'i'm still only here to the end of the season' which would be taken as 'i'm going at the end of the season' which would make the players care even less about how they were performing. god, i hope so

Its time to let Kinnear go. It was ok that he came in when nobody wanted to come here, he was good as a temp manager, as soon as he got the deal to become permanent manager it seems like he has lost most of the squad. For me it seems like he is trying to get out most of our foreign players, allways going out talking crap about our foreign players, telling the press how bad Enrique is, how bad he played etc, and the zoggy thingy was just stupid. I am just waiting for him to come out and tell us how bad additude Coloccini, Jonas, Krul etc.

Why on earth would Ashley give this guy a new contract? I could understand giving Kinnear an assistant role at a club, but nothing more. For me he is in the same category as Souness, and i dont think the club can survive 2 times souness's in the same decade. Look at liverpool, it took them ages to recover after souness was there.

We need a manager with stability, tactics, and a good reputation. Our club name isnt enough to get players to come here anymore, our so cold best supporters in the league/world isnt the best anymore, we are the booo supporters, and cockney mafia out etc.

Houllier was out telling he wanted the job before Keegan got it, we should go out ask him if he still wants it. He has good knowledge of french players, it seems like he has a good reputation too, and he did a good job with liverpool. Also the Swansea manager seems to be doing a good job and playing good football. The next manager we sign needs to have a 5 year plan, and be given a chance.

Looking at the Championship our old Academy Director Alan Irvine seems to be doing a good job with Preston, perhaps another to keep an eye on.

Regarding David Moyes I always had him down as a Steve Bruce type manager - decent but nowt special. However his credentials and abilities have increased significantly in the past few years and he's proving himself to be an excellent manager arguably on the same level as Martin O'Neill. Basically a cut above the likes of Bruce.

We wouldn't stand a chance with Moyes though as Everton are in a much better position than we are. He's out of our league as far as prospective new managers go.

Irvine is something of a Moyes protégé too.

Its time to let Kinnear go. It was ok that he came in when nobody wanted to come here, he was good as a temp manager, as soon as he got the deal to become permanent manager it seems like he has lost most of the squad. For me it seems like he is trying to get out most of our foreign players, allways going out talking crap about our foreign players, telling the press how bad Enrique is, how bad he played etc, and the zoggy thingy was just stupid. I am just waiting for him to come out and tell us how bad additude Coloccini, Jonas, Krul etc.

Why on earth would Ashley give this guy a new contract? I could understand giving Kinnear an assistant role at a club, but nothing more. For me he is in the same category as Souness, and i dont think the club can survive 2 times souness's in the same decade. Look at liverpool, it took them ages to recover after souness was there.

We need a manager with stability, tactics, and a good reputation. Our club name isnt enough to get players to come here anymore, our so cold best supporters in the league/world isnt the best anymore, we are the booo supporters, and cockney mafia out etc.

Houllier was out telling he wanted the job before Keegan got it, we should go out ask him if he still wants it. He has good knowledge of french players, it seems like he has a good reputation too, and he did a good job with liverpool. Also the Swansea manager seems to be doing a good job and playing good football. The next manager we sign needs to have a 5 year plan, and be given a chance.

You are so right :sadnod:

I think if we got Houllier we wouldn't be happy for long.  His transfer record was atrocious, his tactics unbelievably negative and towards the end of his Liverpool rein a lot of reports about losing the dressing room and the supporters were willing to drive him back to France.

On the other hand anyone is better than JFK.  My vote would be Shearer and i wouldn't complain either if shock appointment of someone like Chris Coleman or Roy Hodgson.

He can't relate to the foreign players that much is obvious, not surprising since he's frrom an age where English clubs were banned from Europe and Wimbledon thrived in a low quality competion. I only hope that Ashley values his money because Kinnear is devaluing players like Xisco and Enrique and more will go the same way.

I think if we got Houllier we wouldn't be happy for long.  His transfer record was atrocious, his tactics unbelievably negative and towards the end of his Liverpool rein a lot of reports about losing the dressing room and the supporters were willing to drive him back to France.

On the other hand anyone is better than JFK.  My vote would be Shearer and i wouldn't complain either if shock appointment of someone like Chris Coleman or Roy Hodgson.

Houllier had some great buys too. Sami Hyypia, Dietmar Hammann, Stephane Henchoz, Vladimir Smicer, Markus Babbel, McCallister and loaned Anelka for one season. And his yout policy would fit Mike Ashleys policy, buy young french starlets. He did rebuild a liverpool team that was ageing and going nowhere. Dont remember their tactics really, but they had some great results under him, like the UEFA cup final against Alves were they won 5-4. But according to wiki it was boring and one dimensional, but hey we have been playing some boring footy for some years now, it cant be worse, can it?

He can't relate to the foreign players that much is obvious, not surprising since he's frrom an age where English clubs were banned from Europe and Wimbledon thrived in a low quality competion. I only hope that Ashley values his money because Kinnear is devaluing players like Xisco and Enrique and more will go the same way.

I so agree on what your saying here.

Terim is a manager of a club team at present, isn't he?  I was pretty certain until i read that.

No club listed on Wiki. Are you sure you're not thinking of Zico? He was interested in the job as well, but ended taking another job.

Zico is now coach of  CSKA Moscow since last month.

Guest toonlass

I would say we couldn't go far wrong with Steve Bruce, David Moyes, Aidy Boothroyd, if they were given the job on a real long term basis so that they could get on with it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Moyes would be out of the question, although if we were actually ran more intelligently and there wasn't all this commotion around the place, I imagine a job like ours would appeal massively to him under normal circumstances. Were he to ever leave Everton of course.

I had a dream last night that i was trying to convince Steve Bruce to come and save us. :nope:

I had a dream last night about Steve Bruce, coming.   :pow:

oh dear.  I hope he wasn't aiming at you when it happened.

moyes wouldnt touch us with a barge pole, everton are a much better proposition than we are.

we used to have the old drag of spending money, even thats gone out the window now.

bruce is our best option by a mile.