Joe Kinnear has triple heart bypass surgery, home on Sunday

JH

Would have made more sense to put Calderwood in charge for this match surely?

probably too late now. hughton would have been involved all week in the prep work, so sadly this is the most logical step.

It is the most logical step because Hugton is the Assistant Manager.

Thought he was officially 1st team coach?

Not that it matters. Calderwood has just come through the doors so can't really shout above him, though its a bloody shame since Hughton is awful in the role he'll play today.

I agree Houghton was awful last time in charge, but didn't we have bigger injury problems back then? and minus Lovenkrands, Nolan and R.Taylor? - may make some difference.  Houghton would still have to perform far better than last time though!

If we lose this game because Houghton turns it shit I'd be so depressed.  This game is important.

Think injuries are just about the same, last time the club was in shock, this time its coasting towards relegation, im not sure which is worse for him to deal with.

well i dont wish joe any ill, but maybe something good could come out of this??? maybe he will realise he cant handle it and a decent manager might come in?

or pigs might fly?

Joe Kinnear goes and we're left high and dry, crashing further towards relegation to the Championship IMO.

No half-decent, self respecting manager is going to come in now and risk being the manager that takes us down.

No matter what people think we need Kinnear until the summer, because it's him or noone.

Don't agree.

The problem last time was the nature of the temp contract and the club being up for sale.

Now we can offer a long term deal. There is a much better chance to get a decent manager IMO.

But we're still in the s*** with a hot-cold owner, a mute Chairman and amongst relegation.

The transfer window is shut so the new guy wouldn't be able to implement any changes and would inherit a squad that seriously lacks confidence.

When there's always a chance that he could take the job, not be able to motivate the batch of players there and take the 'mighty' Newcastle United into the Championship, there'll always be those doubts about his mind.

I bet Bruce or Shearer wouldn't take the job before safety was confirmed. I can't think of any decent manager that would.

If this is some sort of stress related illness then surely this has to be it for JFK as far as managing us is concerned.

The relegation battle we're going to be in for the next few months would be far too much for him to take.

Lets gamble on Martinez now and not in a months time when it gets too much for JFK,

Bloody Hell  :kasper:

What ever we think of his managerial abilities, thats not good. Get well soon Joe

This f***ing club... Ashley. Sort it out man

And what the f*** has Kinnear being unwell got to do with Ashley ?  :idiot2:

Well appointing a manager who has had serious health problems previously to do this job might just be to do with Ashley don't you think?

and wise. dont forget wise. the b******.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/head-in-the-sand.jpg

well i dont wish joe any ill, but maybe something good could come out of this???  maybe he will realise he cant handle it and a decent manager might come in?

or pigs might fly?

Joe Kinnear goes and we're left high and dry, crashing further towards relegation to the Championship IMO.

No half-decent, self respecting manager is going to come in now and risk being the manager that takes us down.

No matter what people think we need Kinnear until the summer, because it's him or noone.

Don't agree.

The problem last time was the nature of the temp contract and the club being up for sale.

Now we can offer a long term deal. There is a much better chance to get a decent manager IMO.

But we're still in the s*** with a hot-cold owner, a mute Chairman and amongst relegation.

The transfer window is shut so the new guy wouldn't be able to implement any changes and would inherit a squad that seriously lacks confidence.

When there's always a chance that he could take the job, not be able to motivate the batch of players there and take the 'mighty' Newcastle United into the Championship, there'll always be those doubts about his mind.

I bet Bruce or Shearer wouldn't take the job before safety was confirmed. I can't think of any decent manager that would.

Shearer won't take it no matter what as long as Ashley is in charge..

If this is some sort of stress related illness then surely this has to be it for JFK as far as managing us is concerned.

The relegation battle we're going to be in for the next few months would be far too much for him to take.

Lets gamble on Martinez now and not in a months time when it gets too much for JFK,

This could be a legal minefield.

JFK has time on his contract, and apparently has a hard copy of a contract the club wish to give him. NUFC could be liable for millions if they do something wrong.

Guest The Libertine

What ever we think of his managerial abilities, thats not good. Get well soon Joe

Well appointing a manager who has had serious health problems previously to do this job might just be to do with Ashley don't you think?

http://www.realestate.co.nz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/head-in-the-sand.jpg

it is automatically ashley's fault because the manager is "feeling unwell"?

any excuse for a dig.

Just like Keegan before him, Kinnear was promised investment in squad reinforcements. Just like before it didn't happen, even when we're in serious relegation trouble. Keegan walked, Kinnear apparently succombes to the pressure, which isn't surprising given his earlier health problems. Still, Ashley is a dandy fellow.

If the illness is discovered to be stress related, it is ultimately down to Ashley and Llambias in that they haven't provided the necessary support for Kinnear and have effectively left him out to dry.

Kinnear could have a very good legal case against NUFC if this turns out to be the case, more so than Keegan does.

That is absolute bollocks, sorry.  The club like every other employer have a duty of care towards its employees but football is a stressful business, no employer could protect him from that.

well i dont wish joe any ill, but maybe something good could come out of this???  maybe he will realise he cant handle it and a decent manager might come in?

or pigs might fly?

Don't agree.

Cometh the hour cometh the man.

absolutely golden opportunity to let him go, get it sorted mike

no way unless we have a manager agreed to come in and replace him first.  Unless you fancy Chris Houghton for rest of the season?

Guest The Libertine

Just like Keegan before him, Kinnear was promised investment in squad reinforcements. Just like before it didn't happen, even when we're in serious relegation trouble. Keegan walked, Kinnear apparently succombes to the pressure, which isn't surprising given his earlier health problems. Still, Ashley is a dandy fellow.

who do you blame for houllier's heart attack at liverpool?

it is automatically ashley's fault because the manager is "feeling unwell"?

any excuse for a dig.

As has been said, Ashley employed the guy - Kinnear having well known health issues in the past.

Ashley's regime has since then left Kinnear completely alone as mouthpiece for the club and it appears that the stress has taken its toll. Ashley should take responsibility for not having helped take the weight off the guys shoulders

Any excuse to defend Ashley

absolutely golden opportunity to let him go, get it sorted mike

Is it?

Someone into employment law might know better, but cancelling a contract and withdrawing another based on health reasons for which NUFC may be culpable if stress related would have me consulting my lawyers if I was Kinnear.

Some idiot suggested sending him flowers. What a tool. I know we've lost Given, but surely Harper is a more appropriate replacement?

errr... you in the right thread mate?

That'll be a whoosh, then.