Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

Can barely even recognise him.

I realise the photographer probably took 100 shots and that was the one where he looked worst, but fuck me that's horrific. Can't see him making 50. Doesn't seem like he cares, either. :(

Fuck me, that is actually real?

In fairness, it's the worst photo out of a bunch online.

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4086773.ece/alternates/s615/PAY-MAIN-Paul-Gascoigne.jpg

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4086632.ece/alternates/s615/PAY-Paul-Gascoigne.jpg

I remember when I moved to Newcastle to be a student in the mid 80s, going to SJP to watch a match for the first time, and seeing this kid, with a really distinctive running style, chest puffed out, head held back, and he was swanning around the pitch like he owned it, absolutely fearless, and the best player on the pitch.

To look at those photos now is so very, very sad. Poor bloke.

Guest firetotheworks

Is it fair to say that he's just completely beyond the point of help now? That last time he came out of it there was hope that he would hold on, but it seems like he's just resigned to this being is who he is or something.

I've said this a million times but he needs to be locked up, and now.

Either that, or be back here and looked after by his family. As I said elsewhere earlier, am not sure how all of his hangers-on can look themselves in the mirror. :(

I often find myself wondering where Chris Evans and Danny Baker are while this is going on, because I seem to recall them spending most of the late 1990s carrying him from pub to pub.

I know they're pricks but what are they meant to do, in fairness?  And how do you know they haven't tried to help him?

They would have all been binge-drinking at the time, same as plenty of us do.

Edit: was asking you brummie, rather than those talking about current hangers-on.

I know they're pricks but what are they meant to do, in fairness?  And how do you know they haven't tried to help him?

Edit: was asking you brummie, rather than those talking about current hangers-on.

That's a fair question, I don't know if they did or not, but I just find it depressing that it all ends with Gazza looking like that, and it's hard not to conclude he's short of friends.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2277391/England-footballers-donated-40-000-Paul-Gascoignes-hospital-bills.html

DJ Chris Evans among others helped fund his flights and original hospital bills when he went to the US last week, and other former players, such as Jamie Redknapp, Gareth Southgate, Chris Waddle and Vinnie Jones were also about to donate.

I know it's only money, but who knows if he's tried to help in other ways?  I'm just saying they were all out on the piss at the time, like many of us are at that age.

That's a fair question, I don't know if they did or not, but I just find it depressing that it all ends with Gazza looking like that, and it's hard not to conclude he's short of friends.

Yeah, fair enough.  It must be fucking exhausting for people though if he won't accept help though.  Not saying that's the case, who knows.  It's a horrible situation.

Struggling to sympathise now mind.

Thing is though, the guy clearly doesn't know how to help himself. I'm sure he doesn't want to be like that. He needs help but maybe there isn't any help that can fix this.

Thing is though, the guy clearly doesn't know how to help himself. I'm sure he doesn't want to be like that. He needs help but maybe there isn't any help that can fix this.

:sadnod: In a lot of cases, it's just unstoppable unfortunately. It will end as it appears it will. So sad to see. Really feel for his kids, must be awful to see your Dad like this in the national press/globally.

:sadnod: In a lot of cases, it's just unstoppable unfortunately. It will end as it appears it will. So sad to see. Really feel for his kids, must be awful to see your Dad like this in the national press/globally.

Am sure his step-daughter won't mind that he's back in the news - she's made a career from his name, after-all. :thdn: