Joey Barton

JJ7

While im here btw

I predit that he'll put in some class performances some point soon, everyone will start kissing his ass again & ill quote this to show im mystic meg. People have very short memories.

my memory goes back through all of his time here. for what its worth i made him MotM against villa, i'll be honest and give credit when its due, i'll also say someone been crap when they've been crap. if you want mystic meggedness check my posts in the tiote thread where i said we'd getr ben arfa on loan on our terms ans no-one would be leaving.

Ill say when theyre crap to. He was bad early part of last season, but then i dont stop at just deciding he is bad because of that. I look at what he was doing that made him bad, which was give the ball away because he was trying to be more creative than everyone else.

He was very good in a good team for Keegan, the signs then were that he had quality. JJ7 is right to. The sunderland game when he came back was the start of a good period.

The next against Wbrom was his first full game back & we got our first win in 8. With him providing an assist for the pen ameobi got & then putting it away himself. The next game we beat villa, again he got an assist for Martins and was involved in the majority of our attacking play. Two games later he's out via Cattermole until the pool game where hes sent off.

All this "hes never looked that good for us" is a load of nonsense. People disliked him because he was barely playing & what happened off the pitch, then used that to put negatives on his ability. Was never accurate.

Guest firetotheworks

While im here btw

I predit that he'll put in some class performances some point soon, everyone will start kissing his ass again & ill quote this to show im mystic meg. People have very short memories.

my memory goes back through all of his time here. for what its worth i made him MotM against villa, i'll be honest and give credit when its due, i'll also say someone been crap when they've been crap. if you want mystic meggedness check my posts in the tiote thread where i said we'd getr ben arfa on loan on our terms ans no-one would be leaving.

All this "hes never looked that good for us" is a load of nonsense. People disliked him because he was barely playing & what happened off the pitch, then used that to put negatives on his ability. Was never accurate.

Don't try to pigeon-hole people's opinions Jayson. There's every combination of people who think he's a good/bad person, and been a good/bad player for us. It's shit like that that taints referee's/journalist's decisions, not mine, and not anyone else's who wants the best for Newcastle.

I don't think I've read anyone say that he is shit, only that he's been shit for us. Which is accurate imo.

While im here btw

Ill say when theyre crap to. He was bad early part of last season, but then i dont stop at just deciding he was bad because of that. I look at what he was doing that made him bad, which was give the ball away because he was trying to be more creative than everyone else.

He was very good in a good team for Keegan, the signs then were that he had quality. JJ7 is right to. The sunderland game when he came back was the start of a good period.

The next against Wbrom was his first full game back & we got our first win in 8. With him providing an assist for the pen ameobi got & then putting it away himself. The next game we beat villa, again he got an assist for Martins and was involved in the majority of our attacking play. Two games later he's out via Cattermole until the pool game where hes sent off.

start of last season i often thought he was deliberatly giving it away.

he wasn't very good in the keegan team,just a damn sight better than he had been previously.

who has said "he's never looked good for us " ? i've even pointed out when i've thought he's done well, but overall he's been poor and hers hoping his current form will set his standard.

mind you i like the excuse of he was just trying to be too creative...can we extend those types of excuses to others in the team ?

If by saying hes been crap you guys mean on select games outside of those that hes been very good, then we could extend that to every single player in the world. Thats not whats being suggested, its being suggested that overall in his time here the majority of the time hes been crap on the pitch up till this point which isnt true.

I doubt that hes even played 5-7 games in a row badly. Hes either come in and often looked decent/very good or been out due to being an idiot or getting injured.

His personality is obviously going to effect peoples opinion of him & thats what happened. Obviously he has to work harder to gain respect because of the things hes done outside of football, you dont generally look for the positives easily in someone that you dislike. You're ready to slam them for being utter twats.

mind you i like the excuse of he was just trying to be too creative...can we extend those types of excuses to others in the team ?

I like to use that one for Jonas aswell yeah, is often why he holds the ball for to long

I think the basic jist of it is that he needs a run of games before his quality shines through, which he's never really got in his time here. So we just have to pray he doesn't get injured/do something stupid.

Spot on Tmonkey, Joey is no worse than many in the Premiership, I mean look at Michael Brown or Lee Cattermole! And the fans seem to be very hypocritical, the Wolves fans for example praising there team for there challenges on Barton is not only hypocracy at it's finest, but also completely pathetic.

But yeah, because Joey has been in the spotlight off the field (no worse than what many of the people booing him from the stands have getting up too, cigar incident aside but that was 10 years ago!) he's somehow viewed as a 'dirty' player on the field, this wouldn't realy matter if it was just hypocrtical fans booing him and wishing him to have his leg broken, but when the referees seem to be in the same mindset we have a problem.

And lastly, the thing is with Joey is he actualy seems a realy decent lad, he's not notoriously flash or cocky, or constantly in the papers for some sex scandal or been busted for drug useage, has he been caught selling people private tours of St James' Park?

ha ha, i'd much rather he got caught shagging a waitress or doing coke than repeatdely beating people up.

Spot on Tmonkey, Joey is no worse than many in the Premiership, I mean look at Michael Brown or Lee Cattermole! And the fans seem to be very hypocritical, the Wolves fans for example praising there team for there challenges on Barton is not only hypocracy at it's finest, but also completely pathetic.

But yeah, because Joey has been in the spotlight off the field (no worse than what many of the people booing him from the stands have getting up too, cigar incident aside but that was 10 years ago!) he's somehow viewed as a 'dirty' player on the field, this wouldn't realy matter if it was just hypocrtical fans booing him and wishing him to have his leg broken, but when the referees seem to be in the same mindset we have a problem.

And lastly, the thing is with Joey is he actualy seems a realy decent lad, he's not notoriously flash or cocky, or constantly in the papers for some sex scandal or been busted for drug useage, has he been caught selling people private tours of St James' Park?

ha ha, i'd much rather he got caught shagging a waitress or doing coke than repeatdely beating people up.

But we don't realy know the full story behind the Dabo and Liverpool night out incidents, it's sort of a 1 way thing if you cheat on your missis with an £800 prostetute or are sniffing lines off a toilet seat, there's no real grey area of "we'll he had his reasons". I'm not condoning it but it is likely he was provoked and never just randomly assaulted Dabo or that kid, and  I'm pretty sure about 90% of the people who boo him have been in a few fights before in there time, many of them do it outside of the ground right after the game.

I presume you never saw the CCTV footage?

He deserved prison, you can't defend that. Though I think we should have sacked him at the time, we stuck with him, and anyone out of prison has served their time and should get a second chance. I'd agree that referees are biased against him.

Saw the CCTV but it didn't show you what was said etc. Not trying to condone it as I've said but I do think people took it a little too far, you'd think he'd killed someone.

I would love to see him as a pundit one day.

It is a real shame about his reputation, because he is a very well spoken man.

He is well spoken - but f*ck that he's on £50k or more a week, we're paying it and why would you get that for being well spoken? I think he's the best player in our squad (waiting on HBA) but Barton needs to justify his pay and he's made a decent start towards that this season.

• 2 weeks later...

He's starting to look more like the player who used to run the show at Citeh mainly because he's had a decent run of games in his preferred position.

Praying he can go an entire season without picking up a significant injury or doing something psychotic.....

He's starting to look more like the player who used to run the show at Citeh mainly because he's had a decent run of games in his preferred position.

Praying he can go an entire season without picking up a significant injury or doing something psychotic.....

Agreed, maybe not up to those standards yet but looking a lot closer than he ever has.

He really would be the cliched "like a new signing" if he could keep it up as most (including me) didn't really include him in their plans.

The amount of shit he brushes off him on the pitch i reckon were ok with the latter, i just hope his previous injuries were unlucky and he's now free to play football for us.

Important player so far, looking every inch the player we hoped we signed. Even me dad said to me 'That Joey Barton has turned it around, can't believe the control he's got over his temper' So he must be doing something right.

Yep, he's been very solid so far this season. It's the first time he's had a run of games and it's starting to show. He's nothing spectacular but keeps things moving in the midfield. Good passer of the ball and will probably have a few goals to his name by the end of the season (if he stays fit and out of trouble).

Cracking pass to put Nolan through against Everton on Saturday.

Guest firetotheworks

I love the quick, sharp, short passes that he plays with his out-step whilst running. It's a little thing, but I think it often allows him to play cute passes past opposition players that they would normally intercept.

3/5 games this season I'd have given him an 8 or 9 out of 10. He was crap at Man U and Blackpool was a collective off day but overall I'm pleased to see him in the team and performing.