Newcastle United 0 - 0 Portsmouth - 27/04/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Just got in; load of cock. I'm desolate. There's still a very brief glimmer of hope but it's absolutely imperative that we pick up six points from our next two home games. If we're thinking positively, that was arguably the hardest of the three and was the first time we've played the formation - there were some reasonable passing routines and with more practise, it could work. But we fucking have to beat Boro and Fulham.

Majority were shit tonight, like. Colo, Bassong and - believe it or not - Smith, are the only lads that deserve a pat on the back tonight tbh. Owen wants to be embarrassed for himself and Martins not much better.

Any news on how long Jose will be out for? Looked pretty shit...

Just got in; load of cock. I'm desolate. There's still a very brief glimmer of hope but it's absolutely imperative that we pick up six points from our next two home games. If we're thinking positively, that was arguably the hardest of the three and was the first time we've played the formation - there were some reasonable passing routines and with more practise, it could work. But we fucking have to beat Boro and Fulham.

Majority were shit tonight, like. Colo, Bassong and - believe it or not - Smith, are the only lads that deserve a pat on the back tonight tbh. Owen wants to be embarrassed for himself and Martins not much better.

Looked like a hamstring to me...i think that's his season done .

I'd say Fulham will be quite harder if they're still pushing for Europe when we play them.

Just got in; load of cock. I'm desolate. There's still a very brief glimmer of hope but it's absolutely imperative that we pick up six points from our next two home games. If we're thinking positively, that was arguably the hardest of the three and was the first time we've played the formation - there were some reasonable passing routines and with more practise, it could work. But we f***ing have to beat Boro and Fulham.

Majority were s*** tonight, like. Colo, Bassong and - believe it or not - Smith, are the only lads that deserve a pat on the back tonight tbh. Owen wants to be embarrassed for himself and Martins not much better.

Any news on how long Jose will be out for? Looked pretty s***...

I'd say Fulham will be quite harder if they're still pushing for Europe when we play them.

Ironically if a team comes out to try and beat us we have more chance. Portsmouth came for a point and we don't have the creativity to break them down. Sad but true.

Ironically if a team comes out to try and beat us we have more chance. Portsmouth came for a point and we don't have the creativity to break them down. Sad but true.

And to be fair, they were excellent at it. I thought we generally passed the ball alot better than we've done previously in the season, but today we were banging our heads against a brick wall, bar two or three real chances we had. They knew we'd come flying out of the traps, and they pulled the tempo down, wasted time, frustrated us. I hate to say it, but they were good. Fucking cunts :dave:

Level with Boro with better goal difference, three points behind Hull with better goal difference. Beating Middlesbro alone might conceivably do it.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Realistically, we're going to pick up another 4 points maximum, that's a win against Boro and a draw against Fulham. We might manage to get a point off Villa on the last day, if they're not playing for anything.

Problem then is, we need to rely on Boro and Hull not picking up anymore points for the rest of the season.

Also, as much as it pains me to write it, we lost control of the match after Butt went off and Jonas came on in his place.

Two completely different types of players, and at least when Butt's on the field, he can tackle and win the ball back.

Also, as much as it pains me to write it, we lost control of the match after Butt went off and Jonas came on in his place.

Two completely different types of players, and at least when Butt's on the field, he can tackle and win the ball back.

Butt would have faded badly in the dying minutes though. He always does.

No, it was Viduka's departure, a little earlier, which did the damage. Things immediately changed. Really missed him. Although I expected a downturn when the sub happened, I was actually surprised by just how much we lost. Suddenly everything bunched up and we were little better than we were against Spurs until he game on.

No, it was Viduka's departure, a little earlier, which did the damage. Things immediately changed. Really missed him. Although I expected a downturn when the sub happened, I was actually surprised by just how much we lost. Suddenly everything bunched up and we were little better than we were against Spurs until he game on.

Viduka really put in a shift tonight, and on top of that he has genuine class. Wish we had more players like that (who'd also play regularly).

correct.

433 didn't work against their tactics; they defended deep in a line of 4 and Sean Davis picked up just about everything by sitting just in front of that 4. We worked a few chances but we weren't a constant threat. For much of the 1st half we tried to play straight balls over their line of 4; on a greasy pitch and a deep line that was impossible to pull off.

We needed to pull their defence around, we needed to get some width and we needed to get in behind them from those wide areas; we did none of this. They had an easy out ball most of the game on their left leaving Beye with 2 to pick up all of the first half.

When we tired with 20 minutes to go they took control of the ball and had they showed more ambition they may well have won.

Win our remaining home games and we may stop up however, on that showing we will not win both. Must do better.

I have to say, I'm embarrassed for writing off Viduka as past it. I mean, he's not as fit as he once was, but damn, he still has class. If we stay up, he'll probably be one of the main reasons behind it.

I have to say, I'm embarrassed for writing off Viduka as past it. I mean, he's not as fit as he once was, but damn, he still has class. If we stay up, he'll probably be one of the main reasons behind it.

The man would've been a legend of football if he'd just laid off the pies a bit.

The man would've been a legend of football if he'd just laid off the pies a bit.

tbf, his approach to the game, and reason for him being able to do what he does best (hold the ball up), is down to him having an imposing physique which makes him hard to challenge physically against.

lol

tbf, his approach to the game, and reason for him being able to do what he does best (hold the ball up), is down to him having an imposing physique which makes him hard to challenge physically against.

Point taken, but there's a difference between having an imposing physique and being fat and lazy though.

Imagine what he'd be like if he actually had some passion and fitness. Would've put Zlatan to shame in his prime.

Am I the only one who is quite happy to have Duff in the team? At least he has a bit of energy and trys to get attacks going.

(waits for reply saying 'yes')

I'd agree with that. He looks like he wants the ball and wants to try things. Definitely one of our better players last night.

We struggled to find a shape last night, and the longer the game on, the more ragged we became. A lot of people have pinned their hopes on 4-3-3 with Owen in a free role, but the players didn't seem to have much confidence in it last night.

Owen is good at drifting into scoring positions from deep, but he doesn't create anything for his team-mates, which is a major part of what you expect from someone in that free role. He fluffed the one chance he had, which Martins was in a position to get anyway. It's like playing with 10 men, but unlike last season, the other 10 are short of form and confidence and we're not getting away with it.

My major concern at the time of Shearer's appointment was that he would stick with Owen no matter what, and unfortunately I think it's a mistake that's going to scupper what chance we had of staying up.

Am I the only one who is quite happy to have Duff in the team? At least he has a bit of energy and trys to get attacks going.

I'd agree with that. He looks like he wants the ball and wants to try things. Definitely one of our better players last night.

We struggled to find a shape last night, and the longer the game on, the more ragged we became. A lot of people have pinned their hopes on 4-3-3 with Owen in a free role, but the players didn't seem to have much confidence in it last night.

Owen is good at drifting into scoring positions from deep, but he doesn't create anything for his team-mates, which is a major part of what you expect from someone in that free role. He fluffed the one chance he had, which Martins was in a position to get anyway. It's like playing with 10 men, but unlike last season, the other 10 are short of form and confidence and we're not getting away with it.

My major concern at the time of Shearer's appointment was that he would stick with Owen no matter what, and unfortunately I think it's a mistake that's going to scupper what chance we had of staying up.

Agree with your point about Duff. Could well be putting himself in the shop window for next season mind.

Re: Owen, I'd drop him big style. I would have played Martins behind Viduka and Carroll last night. Martins playing deep, with his pace, would have pulled the Portsmouth defence completely out of shape. Owen playing there totally nullified any attacking threat we had. Not only is he low on confidence, but he is weak as a weak streak of piss and won't shoot from range. He takes a full working week to turn and his play is rushed.

Shearer should listen to his own words me thinks. He says Owen isn't scoring because we're not creating much for him i.e. not creating incisive chances to put the ball on a plate for him. Well then big Al, if we're creating nowt then keep Owen off the pitch and play someone who will bust a gut to make something out of nothing.

Guest Brewcastle

To all so called fans who f***ed off 10 minutes before the end.   f*** off cant wait to see the back of you next season bunch of c***s

:clap:

:thup:

Agree with your point about Duff. Could well be putting himself in the shop window for next season mind.

Re: Owen, I'd drop him big style. I would have played Martins behind Viduka and Carroll last night. Martins playing deep, with his pace, would have pulled the Portsmouth defence completely out of shape. Owen playing there totally nullified any attacking threat we had. Not only is he low on confidence, but he is weak as a weak streak of piss and won't shoot from range. He takes a full working week to turn and his play is rushed.

Shearer should listen to his own words me thinks. He says Owen isn't scoring because we're not creating much for him i.e. not creating incisive chances to put the ball on a plate for him. Well then big Al, if we're creating nowt then keep Owen off the pitch and play someone who will bust a gut to make something out of nothing.

themanupstairs knows the score, why the f*** doesn't Shearer?