RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hang on, you were the one who said people might kick off again if someone doesn't 'come in splash a shit load of cash, take us up as champions and storm our way up the Premiership next year'. You're putting words in people's mouths there. I see a load of people unhappy about being relegated and absolutely nothing being done to date to rectify the situation.

You claim 'a lot of people who follow this club seem to think we have a divine right to success and are simply not happy with realistic targets and achievements'. On what evidence? What are these targets in your opinion?

I don't see how I can be putting words in people's mouths when I'm talking about something that I'm worried about happening in the future. How is selling the club, not doing something to rectify the situation? That's what everyone said that they wanted and now that they've got it, they're not happy. This is what I'm talking about.

At the start of last season I'd have said that top half of the Premiership and a decent run in one of the cups was a realistic target, but that all went out of the window when Keegan left and in the process dumped us right in it by kicking off, and then doing nothing to dampen, the almighty shit-storm that ultimately resulted in our relegation. (Whatever went on, whoever was in the right, I'll never be able to forgive him for not saying a single fucking word to calm the situation and standing by whilst the club he claimed to care for was being ripped apart in his name).

Post Keegan leaving a realistic target was to stay in the Premiership, that became an impossible goal when it became obvious (this is in hindsight) that no-one was prepared to put the well-being of the club before their own selfish interests and put in the effort to do what was required. Although relegation was fundamentally down to the players and staff of the club, the actions of some fans certainly didn't help. All the time that the feeling of turmoil surrounding the club was maintained through protests, and so-on, then the players were likely to be distracted from what should have been the only important thing in their lives at that point; keeping us up. Not only that, but you could go further and say that they might well have been motivated to not perform well, in some kind of perverse show of solidarity with the fans. Before you dismiss that out of hand, think about it for a while, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds, how would you get back at your boss if you were pissed off with him? Just because they're footballers, doesn't mean they wouldn't behave in the same way. Even if you do dismiss that, then just answer this simple question: Do you think we'd have been in a better or worse situation now, if after Keegan left it hadn't all kicked off? My guess is better, I think we'd have managed to get a proper manager in for a start, Ashley wouldn't have been trying to sell the club at Christmas instead of bringing in new players, etc, etc. If you agree, then it must follow that the fans had a role in where we are today.

Okay, a list of what I consider to be unrealistic expectations:

- Ashley was going to come in and splash the cash Man City style.

- That the level of debt inherited from the previous regime wasn't going to have any impact upon the new regime's policy regarding transfers and the way the club was run.

- Keegan was going to be able to bring in whoever he wanted regardless as to whether they fitted with the club's stated policy or not.

- Keegan was going to come back once he'd left.

- That "Ashley Out!!!111" constituted a satisfactory strategy for the club.

- Ashley was going to be able to sell up mid-season straight away.

- That having made it more than obvious that he was persona non grata as far as the fans were concerned that he'd still want to invest significant portions of his own money buying players.

- That this current take-over was going to be quick and wasn't going to affect our preseason preparations.

- That when Ashley is gone all the clubs troubles will be over.

Etc.

So basically all you really mean is 'I don't think things are as bad as they seem, we need to be patient'? Dunno why you've brought up Keegan and the protests (that disappeared long, long ago) etc; they're completely irrelevant to the question I first asked. Why rake up what Ashley was or wasn't going to do, and what you think people expected to happen?

People are fucking fuming that this club have been relegated and want to see some progress on the rebuilding process. Why is that such an issue to you?

@ Indi...What a ludicrous bitter post. And you make out you're reading Nietzsche. PMSL.  :mackems:

No, I have never made out I'm reading Nietzsche. That's the second time you've said that and you were wrong the first time too. As for bitter, well you'd do well to ask yourself who's the bitter one here.

You're the one dishing out lectures dahlink and calling people nutters and paranoid....All fairly subjective terms when applied to people you've never met.

What happened to you?

Lots of things, but then as you've never met me you wouldn't have known who I was then, just as you don't know who I am now, so I don't know how you can be so sure that it's me who has changed. The only thing we can say has changed for definite is your opinion of me and as you're responsible for that, why are you hassling me about it!?!

I've changed, you used to like me, now you don't. Fine, whatever you think, I heard you the first time, you can shut up about it now. Why you suddenly feel the need to snipe at me all the time, I have no idea, I'm not your fucking ex, go stalk someone else.

@ Indi...What a ludicrous bitter post. And you make out you're reading Nietzsche. PMSL.  :mackems:

No, I have never made out I'm reading Nietzsche. That's the second time you've said that and you were wrong the first time too. As for bitter, well you'd do well to ask yourself who's the bitter one here.

You're the one dishing out lectures dahlink and calling people nutters and paranoid....All fairly subjective terms when applied to people you've never met.

What happened to you?

Lots of things, but then as you've never met me you wouldn't have known who I was then, just as you don't know who I am now, so I don't know how you can be so sure that it's me who has changed. The only thing we can say has changed for definite is your opinion of me and as you're responsible for that, why are you hassling me about it!?!

I've changed, you used to like me, now you don't. Fine, whatever you think, I heard you the first time, you can shut up about it now. Why you suddenly feel the need to snipe at me all the time, I have no idea, I'm not your f***ing ex, go stalk someone else.

chill out man indi. now ne5's gone parky has become an apprentice wum.

So basically all you really mean is 'I don't think things are as bad as they seem, we need to be patient'? Dunno why you've brought up Keegan and the protests (that disappeared long, long ago) etc; they're completely irrelevant to the question I first asked.

People are fucking fuming that this club have been relegated and want to see some progress on the rebuilding process. Why is that such an issue to you?

No, that's not what I mean. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself coherently or you're not understanding what I'm saying for some reason, either way there's not much effective communication going on here, so if it's okay with you I'm going to stop now, at least for tonight anyway. Maybe tomorrow we'll be able to understand each other better, although I might not be about much as I intend to spend tomorrow evening playing out on bikes, seeing as my fucking voucher's eventually come through! :D

What happened to you?

I've changed, you used to like me, now you don't. Fine, whatever you think, I heard you the first time, you can shut up about it now. Why you suddenly feel the need to snipe at me all the time, I have no idea, I'm not your f***ing ex, go stalk someone else.

chill out man indi. now ne5's gone parky has become an apprentice wum.

Well in that case: Parky, you're fired!!  :pow:

So basically all you really mean is 'I don't think things are as bad as they seem, we need to be patient'? Dunno why you've brought up Keegan and the protests (that disappeared long, long ago) etc; they're completely irrelevant to the question I first asked.

No, that's not what I mean. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself coherently or you're not understanding what I'm saying for some reason, either way there's not much effective communication going on here, so if it's okay with you I'm going to stop now, at least for tonight anyway. Maybe tomorrow we'll be able to understand each other better, although I might not be about much as I intend to spend tomorrow evening playing out on bikes, seeing as my fucking voucher's eventually come through! :D

Fine. I just continue to find it strange that you're apparently so disgusted by people moaning on here. It's not 'mass hysteria', we got fucking relegated! We might never be an established top flight club again, never mind challenging for Europe etc. That's not hyperbole, it's completely factual. Clubs that fail to bounce straight back have a lesser chance of making it back up at all.

Until the club is sold nothing can happen regarding the rebuilding process. Nothing at all.

Isn't it only natural therefore that nearly everyone is shitting bricks about the future? Yet you're banging on about how we're collectively living up to stereotypes and whatever, going on about people thinking they have a divine right to success. I simply don't understand it.

Fuck it man, can't be arsed any more.

Speechless at what you've wrote there Indi as there is so many holes in what you said, I’ll not go into them all! The fans had nothing to do with us getting relegated, JFK/Houghton, selling players and replacing them with inferior players and so and so on is what got us relegated. Some half-baked protest at home to Hull had nothing to do with it, remember these are the same set of fans who still pretty much filled the stadium throughout the whole season!

I'd also say that expecting Ashley to splash the cash was not unrealistic. A person only buys a club without doing due diligence for two reasons, they're either loaded or a complete and utter idiot. At the time I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt and thought he was loaded. How wrong I was!

If I've also understood you right, how can you have a go at Keegan? How could he stay on when it was blatant that he was being undermined and the club wanting him to follow the club line? Would you have wanted him to come out with the same rubbish that JFK came out with as a mouthpiece for the club, things like only starting to scout for players for the January transfer window in mid January? What was the alternative? To stay on and declare open war on Ashley, publicly state that Ashley/Wise hadn't a clue about what they are doing? There’s no way he could have stayed on in circumstances like that.

I often whether all these people who have a go at Keegan have a sense of personal pride? If they did they would know why he went! I can only think that they must all be Gareth out of The Office types who are willing to suck up to anyone at work and be walked all over without any personal moral code! 

I’m not so much writing this for you but also for some of the other people on here who have come out with the same sort of garbage over the last few months!

Speechless at what you've wrote there Indi as there is so many holes in what you said, I’ll not go into them all! The fans had nothing to do with us getting relegated, JFK/Houghton, selling players and replacing them with inferior players and so and so on is what got us relegated. Some half-baked protest at home to Hull had nothing to do with it, remember these are the same set of fans who still pretty much filled the stadium throughout the whole season!

I'd also say that expecting Ashley to splash the cash was not unrealistic. A person only buys a club without doing due diligence for two reasons, they're either loaded or a complete and utter idiot. At the time I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt and thought he was loaded. How wrong I was!

If I've also understood you right, how can you have a go at Keegan? How could he stay on when it was blatant that he was being undermined and the club wanting him to follow the club line? Would you have wanted him to come out with the same rubbish that JFK came out with as a mouthpiece for the club, things like only starting to scout for players for the January transfer window in mid January? What was the alternative? To stay on and declare open war on Ashley, publicly state that Ashley/Wise hadn't a clue about what they are doing? There’s no way he could have stayed on in circumstances like that.

I often whether all these people who have a go at Keegan have a sense of personal pride? If they did they would know why he went! I can only think that they must all be Gareth out of The Office types who are willing to suck up to anyone at work and be walked all over without any personal moral code! 

I’m not so much writing this for you but also for some of the other people on here who have come out with the same sort of garbage over the last few months!

:clap:

I'm broke, he has gone and fkd us again feel numb the fat c*** must be laughing his tits off.

We need a job doing on the c***.....anybody know any hitmen?

can't even be arsed to put a pic of pete waterman on there.

thats how pissed off i am.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

So the unthinkable is about to happen, no take over as the fat c*** is asking too much and it's on the wall that JFK will return on the cheap an use only our reserves to form a team to play in the Championship.

In the next few days we will hear that Shearer will confirm his place as a pundit on the BBC MOTD sofa. What a summer eh?

:facepalm:

Guest Roger Kint

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/golf/article6710023.ece

July 15, 2009

Ghost village with sombre past and present

Graham Spiers

At one of those vintage Open Championships held at St Andrews, Jack Nicklaus was asked to encapsulate what made the auld grey toon so special in the mind of a golfer.

“I think it is the setting,” Nicklaus said after a pause. “Look at this golf course and this town. Where else in the world do you see the final hole stretching right up into the heart of the town, past people's houses? The golf course starts in the town and finishes in the town.”

Something equally resonant applies to Troon, Prestwick and Carnoustie. There is a strong symbolism in the marriage of a Scottish golf course and township, because the classic Scottish links courses, like the game itself, belong to the people, to the heart of the community.

At Turnberry, however, you are struck by something very different. In fact, beyond the famous spa hotel and its golf course, there seems to be no “Turnberry” as such, despite it appearing as a small blob on the map. Turnberry, steeped in history as it is, is something of a non-community, a sort of ghost village.

Wander its few streets in the shadow of its vast, imperious hotel and you will find no shop, no school, no pub, no café. As of two months ago, there is no post office. There isn't even a kirk - the ancient sentinel of a Scottish town or village - in Turnberry. What there is is swallowed up by the neighbouring parish of Kirkoswald, five miles to the northeast.

“Turnberry is a lovely spot but there is no community there as such,” the Rev James Guthrie, who served 25 years as a Church of Scotland minister in the parish, said. “You have the golf course, of course, and the hotel, but that's about it. In fact, you have to go back three quarters of a century to 'The Turnberry Set' to find some kind of community life in the village.”

The “Turnberry Set” provides a clue as to why Turnberry came to be what it is today. They were a group of Scottish and English bons viveurs of the 1920s and 1930s, who took one look at the hallowed links and the great hotel, and decided to build second homes.

The period was Turnberry's Jazz Age, when railway companies produced posters that proclaimed: “Leave Marylebone Tonight, Be In Glorious Turnberry By Morning”. The steam train proved quite an allure to wealthy southerners who fancied a mix of Scottish golf and fresh air.

Today, Turnberry is celebrated for its golf, and its “Duel in the Sun” shoot-out between Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson in 1977, but there is something sad, even tragic about the place. Turnberry, in fact, must be one of the few places in Britain where its war memorial for those killed in action cites a list of names, not one of whom came from Turnberry. The memorial is not even in Turnberry, but out by the lighthouse, nearer the neighbouring village of Maidens, two miles up the coast.

It is believed that up to 200 men and women lost their lives while training to be fighter pilots at the Turnberry airbase, which was built on parts of the golf course during the two world wars. There is a little-known cemetery for them, but even that is at Dunure, a little farther up the coast.

The brighter side of Turnberry's often bleak existence owes much to Scottish scurrility. We are in Burns country here, where the land - and the links - are soaked in bawdy tales and vivid poetry. It was over these fields that Robert Burns, often stewed with drink, wrote of the “lang Scots miles, of waters, mosses, slaps and styles” and of those waiting at home, “where sits our sullen, sulking dames, gathering their brows like a gathering storm”. Burns, like some golf clubs today, took a dim view of women.

Turnberry deserves its place in the sun this week. But if it could, the village itself would speak like a Burns lament of its often paltry fate, past and present.

Don't ask me, it was on our NewsNow stream. I bet quite a few read nearly all of it waiting for it to be about us though. :lol:

Clue is in the typo in the first sentence :pow:

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

NUFC Club statment released

REPORTS in the press this morning that Joe Kinnear is to be appointed as Newcastle United manager are not true.

The position remains that the Club is still in the market to be sold and is still negotiating with prospective buyers.

Buy Tickets

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/15/newcastle-united-deny-joe-kinnear-return-claims-72703-24158294/2/

Meanwhile the Chronicle understands that a new consortium have put in a bid to take over the Magpies.

The group have handed United 24 hours to accept their bid, which meets the asking price, or they will walk away.

Indeed, having provided proof of funds yet again, it is believed that both Seymour Pierce and the Newcastle regime are playing hardball.

The group insist they are the only serious bidders, but the Singapore-base Profitable Group claim that they bid for the club over a week ago.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/15/newcastle-united-deny-joe-kinnear-return-claims-72703-24158294/2/

Meanwhile the Chronicle understands that a new consortium have put in a bid to take over the Magpies.

The group have handed United 24 hours to accept their bid, which meets the asking price, or they will walk away.

Indeed, having provided proof of funds yet again, it is believed that both Seymour Pierce and the Newcastle regime are playing hardball.

The group insist they are the only serious bidders, but the Singapore-base Profitable Group claim that they bid for the club over a week ago.

Come on, accept it you evil man, if he doesn't accept this I'm getting a lynch mob together, anyone fancy joining.