RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest sicko2ndbest

'Is negotiating with prospective owners'

Thats definately plural, must be more than one

Clutching!

Is Charlie Chawke a Scum fan? I know his boozers went scum mad when he had a stake in them, Scum flahs hanging outside and out up in windows, photo;s of him at the shithole with Quinn and the fknuts.

Guest toonlass

Is Charlie Chawke a Scum fan? I know his boozers went scum mad when he had a stake in them, Scum flahs hanging outside and out up in windows, photo;s of him at the shithole with Quinn and the fknuts.

I believe he is a money fan and would fly any flag while whistling "Yankee Doodle" out of his arse if he thought he could make cash out of a football club.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I tell you one thing, after this mornings debarcal, i dont mind how long it takes as long as  :kinnear: dosnt return!

I don't see how I can be putting words in people's mouths when I'm talking about something that I'm worried about happening in the future. How is selling the club, not doing something to rectify the situation? That's what everyone said that they wanted and now that they've got it, they're not happy. This is what I'm talking about.

10 days ago there were at least 3 bids which had met the £100m asking price according to Llambias. Since then we have heard absolutely nothing more. Any takeover needs to be done ASAP. As I see it there are 3 possibilities:

1) Llambias was lying

2) Ashley is asking for significantly more than £100m, an unrealistic price for a Championship club with our liabilities

3) Ashley is playing the bidders off each other to get the best possible deal for himself, but harming the club by delaying the takeover

In any of those scenarios I think we have a right as supporters to be pissed off at Ashley, do we not? Are you saying we should be sitting back and patiently waiting (which is what everyone is doing IRL tbh) and not even expressing our concern on an internet message board? How dare we!

At the start of last season I'd have said that top half of the Premiership and a decent run in one of the cups was a realistic target, but that all went out of the window when Keegan left and in the process dumped us right in it by kicking off, and then doing nothing to dampen, the almighty shit-storm that ultimately resulted in our relegation. (Whatever went on, whoever was in the right, I'll never be able to forgive him for not saying a single fucking word to calm the situation and standing by whilst the club he claimed to care for was being ripped apart in his name).

So using the same logic, do you also blame Robson for kicking up a fuss when it was announced his contract wouldn't be renewed in the Summer of 2005? Do you blame him for poor results in the 04-05 season because he took the club to court over his settlement? Do you blame him for increasing the subsequent supporter dissatisfaction with the old board (thus causing a downturn in results I assume) by not only doing nothing to alleviate it, but by releasing his book and inflaming the situation?

Post Keegan leaving a realistic target was to stay in the Premiership, that became an impossible goal when it became obvious (this is in hindsight) that no-one was prepared to put the well-being of the club before their own selfish interests and put in the effort to do what was required. Although relegation was fundamentally down to the players and staff of the club, the actions of some fans certainly didn't help. All the time that the feeling of turmoil surrounding the club was maintained through protests, and so-on, then the players were likely to be distracted from what should have been the only important thing in their lives at that point; keeping us up. Not only that, but you could go further and say that they might well have been motivated to not perform well, in some kind of perverse show of solidarity with the fans. Before you dismiss that out of hand, think about it for a while, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds, how would you get back at your boss if you were pissed off with him? Just because they're footballers, doesn't mean they wouldn't behave in the same way. Even if you do dismiss that, then just answer this simple question: Do you think we'd have been in a better or worse situation now, if after Keegan left it hadn't all kicked off? My guess is better, I think we'd have managed to get a proper manager in for a start, Ashley wouldn't have been trying to sell the club at Christmas instead of bringing in new players, etc, etc. If you agree, then it must follow that the fans had a role in where we are today.

Again, using the same logic, are the supporters to blame for Robson being sacked (booing the players off the pitch when we only finished 5th)? Was it actually the supporters fault we employed Souness? Would we have achieved higher league positions post Robson if there had been no websites dedicated to criticising the board, and no protests like the one after Sheff Utd in 06, only one of many? Maybe we should rewrite the history books and bump the team up a couple of places in the league under the old board considering the adverse effect the supporters had on performances?

Okay, a list of what I consider to be unrealistic expectations:

- Ashley was going to come in and splash the cash Man City style.

Noone ever demanded that, it was typically just a hope expressed mostly by avid Ashley supporters

- That the level of debt inherited from the previous regime wasn't going to have any impact upon the new regime's policy regarding transfers and the way the club was run.

The debt was included in the cost of buying the club, but why would it affect a new owner's transfer policy one way or another?

- Keegan was going to be able to bring in whoever he wanted regardless as to whether they fitted with the club's stated policy or not.

What was the club's stated policy? Link to quotes please. If you find one, try and explain how a 26 year old defender from a foreign league for £12.5m and high wages fits into it.

- Keegan was going to come back once he'd left.

Did anyone even suggest this was likely while Ashley owner? Not sure what this point is about tbh

- That "Ashley Out!!!111" constituted a satisfactory strategy for the club.

I imagine you were arguing the same when we'd finished 7th, were in Europe, and the call was "Shepherd out!!!111"? Oh no.

- Ashley was going to be able to sell up mid-season straight away.

Yes, all the protests after he took the club off the market and announced "2009 will be the year in which we drive the Club forward together" make your point vividly. What do you say? There weren't any? Can't be true we're all so demanding and unrealistic. Still 2009 btw isn't it, what's happened to Ashley's heartfelt desire to run the club "responsibly at all levels"? Soon evaporated once we got relegated that didn't it. I guess he had to put it back on the market after all those protests at the end of the season. What? There still weren't any protests? Strange, what's forcing him to sell now?

- That having made it more than obvious that he was persona non grata as far as the fans were concerned that he'd still want to invest significant portions of his own money buying players.

He didn't before the 1 week of angry phone calls to talk shows, a banner, and a couple of protests, he didn't after. Didn't make any difference.

- That this current take-over was going to be quick and wasn't going to affect our preseason preparations.

See top of post. What's the hold up now? Either say there's no-one near what he wants and start to run the club as a going concern, or if there are bids which are close to acceptable, pick the best offer on the table and start the transfer of ownership, finalising any smallprint later. We could at least get a manager in.

- That when Ashley is gone all the clubs troubles will be over.

I'm going to need a link to those claims, I could do with a good laugh.

I agree with you that a lot of supporters have had unrealistic expectations from the owners of the club for a long while now. I haven't seen many that were voiced against Ashley though, unless you believe letting the supporters know what's going on at their club as an unrealistic expectation.

PS Sorry everyone, I've probably set the team back 10 points next season, and the image of Newcastle supporters 20 years with this post.

I don't see how I can be putting words in people's mouths when I'm talking about something that I'm worried about happening in the future. How is selling the club, not doing something to rectify the situation? That's what everyone said that they wanted and now that they've got it, they're not happy. This is what I'm talking about.

10 days ago there were at least 3 bids which had met the £100m asking price according to Llambias. Since then we have heard absolutely nothing more. Any takeover needs to be done ASAP. As I see it there are 3 possibilities:

1) Llambias was lying

2) Ashley is asking for significantly more than £100m, an unrealistic price for a Championship club with our liabilities

3) Ashley is playing the bidders off each other to get the best possible deal for himself, but harming the club by delaying the takeover

In any of those scenarios I think we have a right as supporters to be pissed off at Ashley, do we not? Are you saying we should be sitting back and patiently waiting (which is what everyone is doing IRL tbh) and not even expressing our concern on an internet message board? How dare we!

At the start of last season I'd have said that top half of the Premiership and a decent run in one of the cups was a realistic target, but that all went out of the window when Keegan left and in the process dumped us right in it by kicking off, and then doing nothing to dampen, the almighty s***-storm that ultimately resulted in our relegation. (Whatever went on, whoever was in the right, I'll never be able to forgive him for not saying a single f***ing word to calm the situation and standing by whilst the club he claimed to care for was being ripped apart in his name).

So using the same logic, do you also blame Robson for kicking up a fuss when it was announced his contract wouldn't be renewed in the Summer of 2005? Do you blame him for poor results in the 04-05 season because he took the club to court over his settlement? Do you blame him for increasing the subsequent supporter dissatisfaction with the old board (thus causing a downturn in results I assume) by not only doing nothing to alleviate it, but by releasing his book and inflaming the situation?

Post Keegan leaving a realistic target was to stay in the Premiership, that became an impossible goal when it became obvious (this is in hindsight) that no-one was prepared to put the well-being of the club before their own selfish interests and put in the effort to do what was required. Although relegation was fundamentally down to the players and staff of the club, the actions of some fans certainly didn't help. All the time that the feeling of turmoil surrounding the club was maintained through protests, and so-on, then the players were likely to be distracted from what should have been the only important thing in their lives at that point; keeping us up. Not only that, but you could go further and say that they might well have been motivated to not perform well, in some kind of perverse show of solidarity with the fans. Before you dismiss that out of hand, think about it for a while, it's not as ridiculous as it sounds, how would you get back at your boss if you were pissed off with him? Just because they're footballers, doesn't mean they wouldn't behave in the same way. Even if you do dismiss that, then just answer this simple question: Do you think we'd have been in a better or worse situation now, if after Keegan left it hadn't all kicked off? My guess is better, I think we'd have managed to get a proper manager in for a start, Ashley wouldn't have been trying to sell the club at Christmas instead of bringing in new players, etc, etc. If you agree, then it must follow that the fans had a role in where we are today.

Again, using the same logic, are the supporters to blame for Robson being sacked (booing the players off the pitch when we only finished 5th)? Was it actually the supporters fault we employed Souness? Would we have achieved higher league positions post Robson if there had been no websites dedicated to criticising the board, and no protests like the one after Sheff Utd in 06, only one of many? Maybe we should rewrite the history books and bump the team up a couple of places in the league under the old board considering the adverse effect the supporters had on performances?

Noone ever demanded that, it was typically just a hope expressed mostly by avid Ashley supporters

- That the level of debt inherited from the previous regime wasn't going to have any impact upon the new regime's policy regarding transfers and the way the club was run.

The debt was included in the cost of buying the club, but why would it affect a new owner's transfer policy one way or another?

- Keegan was going to be able to bring in whoever he wanted regardless as to whether they fitted with the club's stated policy or not.

What was the club's stated policy? Link to quotes please. If you find one, try and explain how a 26 year old defender from a foreign league for £12.5m and high wages fits into it.

Did anyone even suggest this was likely while Ashley owner? Not sure what this point is about tbh

I imagine you were arguing the same when we'd finished 7th, were in Europe, and the call was "Shepherd out!!!111"? Oh no.

Yes, all the protests after he took the club off the market and announced "2009 will be the year in which we drive the Club forward together" make your point vividly. What do you say? There weren't any? Can't be true we're all so demanding and unrealistic. Still 2009 btw isn't it, what's happened to Ashley's heartfelt desire to run the club "responsibly at all levels"? Soon evaporated once we got relegated that didn't it. I guess he had to put it back on the market after all those protests at the end of the season. What? There still weren't any protests? Strange, what's forcing him to sell now?

- That having made it more than obvious that he was persona non grata as far as the fans were concerned that he'd still want to invest significant portions of his own money buying players.

He didn't before the 1 week of angry phone calls to talk shows, a banner, and a couple of protests, he didn't after. Didn't make any difference.

- That this current take-over was going to be quick and wasn't going to affect our preseason preparations.

See top of post. What's the hold up now? Either say there's no-one near what he wants and start to run the club as a going concern, or if there are bids which are close to acceptable, pick the best offer on the table and start the transfer of ownership, finalising any smallprint later. We could at least get a manager in.

I agree with you that a lot of supporters have had unrealistic expectations from the owners of the club for a long while now. I haven't seen many that were voiced against Ashley though, unless you believe letting the supporters know what's going on at their club as an unrealistic expectation.

PS Sorry everyone, I've probably set the team back 10 points next season, and the image of Newcastle supporters 20 years with this post.

:thup:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

1) Llambias was lying

At the start of last season I'd have said that top half of the Premiership and a decent run in one of the cups was a realistic target, but that all went out of the window when Keegan left and in the process dumped us right in it by kicking off, and then doing nothing to dampen, the almighty s***-storm that ultimately resulted in our relegation. (Whatever went on, whoever was in the right, I'll never be able to forgive him for not saying a single f***ing word to calm the situation and standing by whilst the club he claimed to care for was being ripped apart in his name).

:thup:

:thdn:

Don't be redonkulous.

I'm saving up.

7 ice pops?

NO!!

He is taking me out to dinner.

:D

Ooh. Romantic - where are you going on this hot date?

He wanted Burger King, he has no romance in him man.

:lol:

Don't be redonkulous.

I'm saving up.

7 ice pops?

NO!!

He is taking me out to dinner.

:D

Ooh. Romantic - where are you going on this hot date?

He wanted Burger King, he has no romance in him man.

:lol:

Not even a KFC??!!  :yikes:

But I bet there was some finger lickin'....

1) Llambias was lying

At the start of last season I'd have said that top half of the Premiership and a decent run in one of the cups was a realistic target, but that all went out of the window when Keegan left and in the process dumped us right in it by kicking off, and then doing nothing to dampen, the almighty shit-storm that ultimately resulted in our relegation. (Whatever went on, whoever was in the right, I'll never be able to forgive him for not saying a single fucking word to calm the situation and standing by whilst the club he claimed to care for was being ripped apart in his name).

Some good points and basically a post that deserves a decent response, unfortunately I've been out drinking with my granddad and I'm not in the mood to put the required effort in to give you one at the moment. Also, going by previous experience, if I don't reply to a post as long as that straight away then when I come back to it later I nearly always can't be arsed. So although I think you deserve a proper response and I'd like to give you one, I have a feeling that it's not going to happen. Sorry - at least I'm honest though.

Having said that, a lot of what you've brought up I've given my opinion on in the past, so you could always go and have a look for it if you want. You do seem to have some kind of genius when it comes to the search function, so it shouldn't be too hard for you. How did you find that quote anyway? Either you've got a photographic memory, or that search function we (well not me personally, but the site) shelled out on really was worth all the money it cost.

Anyway, enough of that. Basically there's some of what you said that I accept, some I refute, some I think isn't relevant to what I said and some that I don't think applies due to the difference in context between now and then (specifically the Robson stuff and the quote of mine that you found).

1) Llambias was lying

Quality.