The England Thread

Pilko

If he does well at Euros yeah sure, not of the opinion Redknapp would do any better.

It's touch to call whether Capello isn't good enough at motivating players (if that's possible, so unmotivated they seem to be) or if he's unable to select players who would be motivated, and he'd likely get sacked if he didn't play 'England's bravest' who always fail to turn up

It's all about a fresh start really. We need to rebuild which should happen as soon as Capello leaves.

That is, get rid of the deadweight in the England team atm (Barry, Milner etc.) and start picking the promising youngsters (Cleverley, Welbeck, Sturridge etc.) as well as having some decent experience around (I'd still have Lampard, Terry and Gerrard around tbh).

Capello has been choosing some of the promising youngsters, granted, but he also continually picks players like Barry who are not the players to take England forward. Time for the new generation to come in.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd kick them all out in favour of the likes of Cleverley but in all fairness it's not really that simple for coaches.

Should never have been reduced. Just because England have rocked up with an army of lawyers and witnesses talking about how he accepted the decision etc. doesn't change the fact that a red card for violent conduct is a three match ban, everyone knows that. If he didn't want to be banned for three games then he shouldn't have kicked someone. Pretty simple really.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wouldn't be an international tournament without Rooney getting injured and people using that for a reason he never shines on the big stage. Guy is VASTLY over rated now. Sure he has talent, but he's no way reached the potential he showed during his early years.

I think its probably easier to remember the handful of good games he's had in the last 12+ months then it is to think of all the bad ones. England are in trouble if they're going to take and use him as a lone striker.

Should never have been reduced. Just because England have rocked up with an army of lawyers and witnesses talking about how he accepted the decision etc. doesn't change the fact that a red card for violent conduct is a three match ban, everyone knows that. If he didn't want to be banned for three games then he shouldn't have kicked someone. Pretty simple really.

Perhaps they saw mitigating circumstances. Also, not all three game bans are equal, are they? It's a reasonable decision if you ask me.

I thought that but someone made a decent point at work. A 3 game ban in the league is the standard but a 3 game ban at international level isn't comparable - 3 games of a 38 game season is a fairly small chunk of time but far, far fewer games are played at international level making the punishment more severe. I still think it was probably the wrong decision but I'm pretty pleased about it.

I thought that but someone made a decent point at work. A 3 game ban in the league is the standard but a 3 game ban at international level isn't comparable - 3 games of a 38 game season is a fairly small chunk of time but far, far fewer games are played at international level making the punishment more severe. I still think it was probably the wrong decision but I'm pretty pleased about it.

:thup: poor little rascal should just have to sit out the first half of the first match.

• 1 month later...
John Terry 'will not stand down as England captain'

By Dan Roan BBC Sports News Correspondent

John Terry will not resign as England captain despite facing trial over racial abuse allegations, according to a source close to the player.

The Chelsea defender is due to face charges on 9 July after an incident involving QPR's Anton Ferdinand in the teams' Premier League match in October.

"He won't stand down. He is sure of his innocence and thus feels it would be wrong to do so," said the source.

Reading's Jason Roberts has said that Terry should not play at Euro 2012.

Roberts, who is also a pundit for BBC Radio 5 live, has warned that Terry's presence at the tournament would have a "toxic" effect on the England dressing room.

The tournament runs between 8 June and 1 July, before the start of Terry's trial.

Roberts, in a series of tweets,  said: "I have seen the Ferdinand case has been put back. On this basis I do not believe that the England captain should go to the Euros.

"Also more importantly, believe me... the dressing room at the Euros will be toxic unless the correct decision is made."

Former England manager Graham Taylor believes it is up to England manager Fabio Capello and the Football Association to make a decision, rather than the player. He told BBC Radio 5 live: "It's down to the FA and his manager, who reinstated him as captain after taking it away from him, it's down to them.

"I understand people saying that John Terry should not go to the Euros, and should resign from the captaincy, but if that boy really feels he is innocent of that charge then why should he do that?

"If John feels he is innocent then I think he will feel that he should not step away from his captaincy."

And Labour MP Clive Efford, the shadow sports minister, agrees with Taylor.

"He [Capello] has the responsibility of making sure we get the best out of those players [at Euro 2012] and if the presence of John Terry with this hanging over him is going to undermine that performance then he's the one that should take some action," said Efford.

"The strong stance that the FA have taken across all these matters that have come up about racism on the football field has been exemplary.

"And if they decide that he [Terry] shouldn't lead the country I would support them in that."

Conservative MP Damian Collins, who is on the culture, media and sport select committee also added his opinion, saying on Twitter:  "John Terry should stand aside as captain until the case is resolved, and any doubt either way removed."

Piara Powar, executive director of European football's anti-discrimination body Football Against Racism in Europe (Fare), also suggested Terry should not captain the England team at Euro 2012, which starts on 8 June and takes place in Poland and Ukraine.

"Innocent until proven guilty," tweeted Powar. "But should John Terry remain as England captain through the Euros? I can't see how he can."

He added: "The seriousness of the allegations mean he can't lead the nation. So the FA [Football Association] must do the right thing."

The trial date was set after a hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said Terry, 31, is accused of a racially aggravated public order offence, which carries a maximum fine of £2,500.

Immediately after Wednesday's hearing Terry issued a statement through his solicitors Grosvenor Law.

"Now that the court has fixed a date for trial, Mr Terry looks forward to the opportunity to clear his name," the statement said.

"Mr Terry has consistently and resolutely maintained that his well-publicised remarks were made in the belief that he was being accused of racist abuse by Mr Ferdinand.

"Mr Terry was shocked and disgusted by that accusation at the time. Mr Terry denies making any racist statement, and will establish in court that he is not guilty of any such offence."

The FA has not made any comment and England coach Fabio Capello is unlikely to make any public statement until the days before England's friendly with Netherlands at Wembley on 29 February.

Chelsea play Manchester United, the club of Rio Ferdinand, Anton's brother and Terry's predecessor as England captain, on Sunday.

IMO, Terry should be dropped from the squad altogether (unlikely to happen though). I think it reflects badly on English football as a whole if Terry is allowed to go to (or even captain England) the Euros with a trial relating to racism around the corner.