The England Thread

Pilko

Terry to be stripped of the captaincy it seems.

John Terry: FA set to remove England captaincy

By David Bond

BBC sports editor

The Football Association is set to remove the England captaincy from John Terry, with an announcement before the weekend, the BBC has learned.

FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to board members and the majority view is Terry should be stood down. He would still be available for selection.

Terry is due to stand trial in July over racial abuse allegations after an incident with QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

The Chelsea defender has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Bernstein is expected to speak to England manager Fabio Capello about the issue on Friday.

The Italian has until now maintained the position that Terry is innocent until proven guilty and that he should be free to select him as his captain until his trial is over.

There is some nervousness among board members as to how Capello will react, with some fearing he will see it as undue interference in team affairs.

But there is now an acceptance among the FA hierarchy that the matter should be taken out of his hands.

The FA has been forced to act after Terry's case was adjourned until 9 July - a week after the Euro 2012 finals end - ensuring that the affair will dominate the build-up to the championships.

For some time now Bernstein has been growing increasingly concerned at the FA's position on Terry.

Some board members have lobbied him to take decisive action to ensure the FA is not accused of being weak on racism.

Black players within the England squad have also been putting pressure on the Professional Footballers Association to take a stronger stance on Terry.

This is believed to have also played a part in forcing the FA to show greater leadership on the issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16866149

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but weren't Bowyer and Woodgate removed from consideration for the England squad while awaiting trial?

Yup.

Italians have got it spot on to a large state. In any sort of bother (club ban or whatnot) and you don't get picked.

Terry to be stripped of the captaincy it seems.

John Terry: FA set to remove England captaincy

By David Bond

BBC sports editor

The Football Association is set to remove the England captaincy from John Terry, with an announcement before the weekend, the BBC has learned.

FA chairman David Bernstein has spoken to board members and the majority view is Terry should be stood down. He would still be available for selection.

Terry is due to stand trial in July over racial abuse allegations after an incident with QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

The Chelsea defender has entered a plea of not guilty to the charge.

Bernstein is expected to speak to England manager Fabio Capello about the issue on Friday.

The Italian has until now maintained the position that Terry is innocent until proven guilty and that he should be free to select him as his captain until his trial is over.

There is some nervousness among board members as to how Capello will react, with some fearing he will see it as undue interference in team affairs.

But there is now an acceptance among the FA hierarchy that the matter should be taken out of his hands.

The FA has been forced to act after Terry's case was adjourned until 9 July - a week after the Euro 2012 finals end - ensuring that the affair will dominate the build-up to the championships.

For some time now Bernstein has been growing increasingly concerned at the FA's position on Terry.

Some board members have lobbied him to take decisive action to ensure the FA is not accused of being weak on racism.

Black players within the England squad have also been putting pressure on the Professional Footballers Association to take a stronger stance on Terry.

This is believed to have also played a part in forcing the FA to show greater leadership on the issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16866149

Good. Though the FA should go an extra mile and completely ban him from the England squad.

(Plus he's shite these days).

People on Twitter want Scott Parker to be the new England captain :undecided:

Name me another good candidate.

As much as I don't like him, Gerrard is an option (as is Lampard I reckon). Though Parker has matured a lot since his last long-term stint as captain.....

Joe Hart - guaranteed starter, could easily have 15 years left at the top and he seems like a decent bloke unlike Terry!

Ashley Cole.

He's a bellend.

He's also been England's best player of the past decade.

Ashley Cole.

He's a bellend.

He's also been England's best player of the past decade.

By some distance. Given that we seem to need to appoint a permanent England captain it has to be someone who's guaranteed to start if fit. The only four I can see who fit that criteria are Hart, Cole, Wilshire and Rooney. Looking at that list I almost want it to be Hart despite the obvious downside of his position.